Slackware installation scripts - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware installation scripts - Slackware ; Are the collection of scripts used to install Slackware themselves installed in the final Slackware installation?...

  1. Slackware installation scripts

    Are the collection of scripts used to install Slackware
    themselves installed in the final Slackware installation?

  2. Re: Slackware installation scripts

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, K. Jennings wrote:

    > Are the collection of scripts used to install Slackware
    > themselves installed in the final Slackware installation?

    You mean the scripts that are in most or all packages, that have
    to be run for that package to be installed? Yes they are:
    /var/log/scripts

    Michael

  3. Re: Slackware installation scripts

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:21:11 -0500, Michael Black wrote:

    > On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, K. Jennings wrote:
    >
    >> Are the collection of scripts used to install Slackware
    >> themselves installed in the final Slackware installation?
    >>

    > You mean the scripts that are in most or all packages, that have to be
    > run for that package to be installed? Yes they are:
    > /var/log/scripts

    Thanks for youre reply. What I mean is the setup script used
    immediately after booting off the installation disk, in order to make a
    new installation.

  4. Re: Slackware installation scripts

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 20:49:56 +0000 (UTC), "K. Jennings" wrote:

    > Are the collection of scripts used to install Slackware
    >themselves installed in the final Slackware installation?

    Some are, what's the problem you're trying to address?

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au

  5. Re: Slackware installation scripts

    K. Jennings schreef:
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:21:11 -0500, Michael Black wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, K. Jennings wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are the collection of scripts used to install Slackware
    >>> themselves installed in the final Slackware installation?
    >>>

    >> You mean the scripts that are in most or all packages, that have to be
    >> run for that package to be installed? Yes they are:
    >> /var/log/scripts

    > Thanks for youre reply. What I mean is the setup script used
    > immediately after booting off the installation disk, in order to make a
    > new installation.

    No these scripts are not present on the installed system. They are
    only part of the installer image.

    Eric

  6. Re: Slackware installation scripts

    Eric Hameleers wrote:
    > K. Jennings schreef:

    >>> You mean the scripts that are in most or all packages, that have to be
    >>> run for that package to be installed? Yes they are:
    >>> /var/log/scripts

    >> Thanks for youre reply. What I mean is the setup script used
    >> immediately after booting off the installation disk, in order to make
    >> a new installation.
    >>

    > No these scripts are not present on the installed system. They are only
    > part of the installer image.
    >
    > Eric

    That's not entirely true. They are just not in any default PATH.

    You can find them in /var/log/setup

    Hope you find what you're looking for.
    Chris

  7. Re: Slackware installation scripts

  8. Re: Slackware installation scripts

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 16:43:16 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

    >>> No these scripts are not present on the installed system. They are only
    >>> part of the installer image.

    >> That's not entirely true. They are just not in any default PATH.
    >>
    >> You can find them in /var/log/setup

    >No, it was entirely true, at least for "setup". "setup" is not
    >installed by any package into $ROOT by the installer. In fact, the
    >installer is the one and only place you can find this script, apart
    >from the Slackware source archive of course. /var/log/setup only
    >contains some of the scripts used to install the OS, namely those that
    >might come in handy later on. "setup" isn't among them.

    Yep, but pkgtool -> Setup will re-run the last bits of the install if you
    can't remember the script names, for example, xwmconfig.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au

  9. Re: Slackware installation scripts

    > No, it was entirely true, at least for "setup". "setup" is not
    > installed by any package into $ROOT by the installer. In fact, the
    > installer is the one and only place you can find this script, apart
    > from the Slackware source archive of course. /var/log/setup only
    > contains some of the scripts used to install the OS, namely those that
    > might come in handy later on. "setup" isn't among them.

    Any reason why? Would have been handy the other day when trying to build a
    root file system on an SD card. Ended up using Qemu.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  10. Re: Slackware installation scripts

    Peter Chant schreef:
    >> No, it was entirely true, at least for "setup". "setup" is not
    >> installed by any package into $ROOT by the installer. In fact, the
    >> installer is the one and only place you can find this script, apart
    >> from the Slackware source archive of course. /var/log/setup only
    >> contains some of the scripts used to install the OS, namely those that
    >> might come in handy later on. "setup" isn't among them.
    >>

    > Any reason why?

    It is not used by Slackware after installation, is why.

    > Would have been handy the other day when trying to build a
    > root file system on an SD card. Ended up using Qemu.

    You can easily extract the setup script from the initrd.img file using
    cpio.

    Eric

  11. Re: Slackware installation scripts

    Eric Hameleers wrote:

    >> Any reason why?

    > It is not used by Slackware after installation, is why.

    Would it do any harm if left?

    >> Would have been handy the other day when trying to build a
    >> root file system on an SD card. Ended up using Qemu.

    > You can easily extract the setup script from the initrd.img file using
    > cpio.

    Did not know that. Have never felt the need for cpio before.

    Pete
    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread