Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection - Slackware

This is a discussion on Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection - Slackware ; Hi, I search google and find fvwm theme is too old and and fvwm2 can not give me quick start. So, what's your suggestion on the X Window manager selection? Thanks....

  1. Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection

    Hi,

    I search google and find fvwm theme is too old and and fvwm2 can not
    give me quick start. So, what's your suggestion on the X Window
    manager selection? Thanks.

  2. Re: Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection

    Steven Woody wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I search google and find fvwm theme is too old and and fvwm2 can
    > not
    > give me quick start. So, what's your suggestion on the X Window
    > manager selection? Thanks.

    Ion3
    http://modeemi.fi/~tuomov/ion/
    - lean and fast
    - no window moving and resizing anymore
    - equally usuable with keyboard or mouse
    - no icons
    - menu or command interface with tab completion
    - highly configurable
    - looks much better than the provided screenshots

    You have to get used to the idea behind it but then it can improve
    your productivity immensly.

    I use ion for more than six month now and I can't imagine ever
    going back to any other DE/WM.

    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  3. Re: Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection

    Steven Woody writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I search google and find fvwm theme is too old and and fvwm2 can not
    > give me quick start.

    Fvwm2 gives me a pretty quick start! The syntax of its config files is
    somewhat "interesting" but if you can get a grip on that it is a
    wonderfully adaptable wm.

    > So, what's your suggestion on the X Window manager selection? Thanks.

    Fluxbox or Openbox are popular and fast.

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  4. Re: Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection

    On 2008-11-03, Steven Woody wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I search google and find fvwm theme is too old and and fvwm2 can not
    > give me quick start. So, what's your suggestion on the X Window
    > manager selection? Thanks.

    Fluxbox will probably work for you. It's probably already installed on your
    version of slack...it was a standard install on ver 9.x Works just as well
    with a mouse or keyboard.

    Surprising fast and I'm using it on an old machine and with a background
    image.

    ken

  5. Re: Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection

    Steven Woody writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I search google and find fvwm theme is too old and and fvwm2 can not
    > give me quick start. So, what's your suggestion on the X Window
    > manager selection? Thanks.

    Here is a collection:
    http://xwinman.org/
    The choice comes down to preferences and taste. I am a xfce man
    myself but find Fluxbox isn't half bad either and I have a weak spot
    for the really minimal ones like dwm and ion.

    --
    Martin Schöön "Problems worthy of attack
    show their worth by hitting back."

  6. Re: Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection

    On 2008-11-03 Mon 08:29:54, Glyn Millington wrote:
    > Steven Woody writes:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I search google and find fvwm theme is too old and and fvwm2 can not
    >> give me quick start.

    > Fvwm2 gives me a pretty quick start! The syntax of its config files is
    > somewhat "interesting" but if you can get a grip on that it is a
    > wonderfully adaptable wm.

    I don't know what you can mean and I agree with Glyn - fvwm is plenty
    fast and the most configurable wm I know - I've been using it for years
    and literally can't use anything else anymore.

    Slackware ships the "stable" 2.4.x series and you'd be better off
    building your own from the 2.6.x series which is also extremely stable.
    That branch has been under "development" for a few years now.

    So your reasons for not using fvwm don't quite follow. But there are
    other reasons for not using it, like simply not having it match your
    sensibilities. Everybody swears by their own window manager and has no
    idea why every one doesn't use it. Asking which you should use without
    specifying desired qualities is the same as asking everybody what their
    favorite is.

    If you want something configurable, fvwm. Something that suits a tiling
    work habit, ion or the like. Something that looks good and is usable
    with little effort, fluxbox. Something that drains resources, kde. (I
    kid - sort of.) But all WMs I know of (vs. DEs) are plenty fast.
    Something like evilwm or ratpoison may be the very fastest, but by
    trivial degrees.

    Anyway - good luck with the hunt.

  7. Re: Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection

    On November 3, 2008 14:10, in alt.os.linux.slackware, slakmagik
    (j@hostname.invalid) wrote:

    > On 2008-11-03 Mon 08:29:54, Glyn Millington wrote:
    >> Steven Woody writes:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I search google and find fvwm theme is too old and and fvwm2 can not
    >>> give me quick start.

    >> Fvwm2 gives me a pretty quick start! The syntax of its config files is
    >> somewhat "interesting" but if you can get a grip on that it is a
    >> wonderfully adaptable wm.
    >>

    > I don't know what you can mean and I agree with Glyn - fvwm is plenty
    > fast and the most configurable wm I know - I've been using it for years
    > and literally can't use anything else anymore.
    >
    > Slackware ships the "stable" 2.4.x series and you'd be better off

    Slackware (as of 12.0) ships the 2.6.x series as it's primary kernel.
    The last Slackware that used 2.4.x was Slackware 11.0. Slackware 12.1 has
    been out the door for quite some time, and Slackware 13.0 is expected soon.

    [snip]
    --
    Lew Pitcher

  8. Re: Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 19:10:04 +0000, slakmagik wrote:

    > I don't know what you can mean and I agree with Glyn - fvwm is plenty
    > fast and the most configurable wm I know - I've been using it for years
    > and literally can't use anything else anymore.

    Do you literally mean "literally"? If so, what happens when you try to
    use a different WM from fvwm? Do you fall off your chair in
    convulsions? Vomit assorted microchips? Get attacked by crows?

    Inquiring minds want to know.

  9. Re: Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection

    Lew Pitcher writes:

    > On November 3, 2008 14:10, in alt.os.linux.slackware, slakmagik
    > (j@hostname.invalid) wrote:

    >>> Fvwm2 gives me a pretty quick start! The syntax of its config files is
    >>> somewhat "interesting" but if you can get a grip on that it is a
    >>> wonderfully adaptable wm.
    >>>

    >> I don't know what you can mean and I agree with Glyn - fvwm is plenty
    >> fast and the most configurable wm I know - I've been using it for years
    >> and literally can't use anything else anymore.
    >>
    >> Slackware ships the "stable" 2.4.x series and you'd be better off

    > Slackware (as of 12.0) ships the 2.6.x series as it's primary kernel.
    > The last Slackware that used 2.4.x was Slackware 11.0. Slackware 12.1 has
    > been out the door for quite some time, and Slackware 13.0 is expected soon.

    I think the 2.4 was the fvwm version, not the kernel :-) fvwm unstable
    is at 2.5 by the way.

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)
    STFW http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...inux.slackware
    JFGI http://jfgi.us/

  10. Re: Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > Slackware (as of 12.0) ships the 2.6.x series as it's primary kernel.
    > The last Slackware that used 2.4.x was Slackware 11.0. Slackware 12.1 has
    > been out the door for quite some time, and Slackware 13.0 is expected soon.

    Certainly the next Slackware release is about to come, whatever it's
    number, since I'm about to get Slack 12.1; the new release is bound
    to come shortly after.

    This time I've been watching the changelog, and there's not been anything
    since October 13th, which is now three weeks ago. I don't have the
    experience of watching to know whether that slowing down is indicative
    of an immenent release, or some distraction.

    Michael

  11. Re: Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection

    On 2008-11-03 Mon 15:33:44, Glyn Millington wrote:
    > Lew Pitcher writes:
    >

    >> Slackware (as of 12.0) ships the 2.6.x series as it's primary kernel.
    >> The last Slackware that used 2.4.x was Slackware 11.0. Slackware 12.1 has
    >> been out the door for quite some time, and Slackware 13.0 is expected soon.

    > I think the 2.4 was the fvwm version, not the kernel :-) fvwm unstable
    > is at 2.5 by the way.

    Yeah, I was speaking of fvwm versions and, yeah, I had a thinko when I
    said "2.6" - that's what 2.5 will be whenever it finally becomes the
    stable branch but it's 2.5.26 now (or at least mine is, assuming it's
    still up-to-date). Thanks for the catch.

  12. Re: Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection

    On 2008-11-03 Mon 15:20:49, Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 19:10:04 +0000, slakmagik wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know what you can mean and I agree with Glyn - fvwm is plenty
    >> fast and the most configurable wm I know - I've been using it for years
    >> and literally can't use anything else anymore.

    > Do you literally mean "literally"? If so, what happens when you try to
    > use a different WM from fvwm? Do you fall off your chair in
    > convulsions? Vomit assorted microchips? Get attacked by crows?
    >
    > Inquiring minds want to know.

    *g* Falling off my chair in convulsions would probably come closest. No,
    I should have said I "can't *persist* in using anything else anymore
    without preferring to hit Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc and using the command line". I
    do continue to play around with other GUIs at times and just can't keep
    using them without getting really frustrated and annoyed and going back
    to my usual setup with great relief.

    I didn't actually like fvwm when I first tried it. Another try resulted
    in my kind of playing around with it and liking it, but I wasn't sure
    what to do with it. Then I came across evilwm and said "a ha!" and
    created a configuration that mimicked it and then went on expanding from
    there. So now I can't even use evilwm because it's too limited, but
    everything else is too cluttered or lacks certain things I'm used to -
    or has certain things I'm used to not having.

    I can sympathize, though - the non-literal use of literally bugs me,
    even though I pretty much did it myself there.

  13. Re: Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection

    On 2008-11-04, Steven Woody wrote:
    > Thank you for all your suggestions. Because I have to pick up one, I
    > decided to pick up fluxbox at this time. I am trying and the first
    > experience is not bad Thank you so much!

    Fluxbox has a menu item to switch between desktops so you can
    take your time and try several. Fluxbox used to be my main stay
    than I used ratpoison, which led me to dwm.

    matthew

  14. Re: Suggestion on X Window Manager Selection

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 06:03:37 -0800, Steven Woody wrote:

    > Thank you for all your suggestions. Because I have to pick up one, I
    > decided to pick up fluxbox at this time. I am trying and the first
    > experience is not bad Thank you so much!

    If you find switching wallpapers in fluxbox to be cumbersome, get hold of
    feh and read the documentation, it works well with fluxbox.

    If you prefer looking at plain backgrounds (NTTAWWT), ignore the above.

+ Reply to Thread