FYI: Lotus Notes 8.5 (next beta) - Slackware

This is a discussion on FYI: Lotus Notes 8.5 (next beta) - Slackware ; Earlier this year, I posted this message about Lotus Notes 8.5, beta 1: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...15bda2bc37ab74 I just checked back at their site and see that Lotus Notes 8.5, beta 2 has been released. This version's support is tied more closely to ...

  1. FYI: Lotus Notes 8.5 (next beta)

    Earlier this year, I posted this message about Lotus Notes 8.5, beta 1:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...15bda2bc37ab74

    I just checked back at their site and see that Lotus Notes 8.5, beta 2
    has been released. This version's support is tied more closely to an RPM
    based distribution or Debian package based. The previous version's generic
    Java based install program is missing. I hacked away (including some
    failed attempts), until I managed to get Beta 2 installed on Slackware
    12.0 + Dropline Gnome. Hopefully, this documentation will save someone
    some time and trouble; skip down to "Try 3." I tried a couple of easy
    methods first, which did not yield success:

    Unsuccessful:
    Try 1. Convert .deb packages to Slackware tgz using "Alien"
    Error: Not sure. Probably a side effect of not giving the proper
    argument to an install script- (see try 3).

    Try 2. Install .rpm's using Slackware's compatible rpm manager.
    The rpm Error: The install quits with an error message stating, "bash is
    required." Hmm, bash _is_ installed.

    Successful:
    Try 3. Convert rpm to cpio, and extract rpm install scripts. The install
    scripts are fairly lengthy- I only scanned them for "the quick fix."
    The preinstall script is fine as is. It appears that the postinstall
    script is expecting an argument: 1 for "first time" install. I manually
    removed beta 1, then manually ran the beta 2 scripts- this time providing
    the argument to the postinstall script.

    So, to reiterate the steps that I used in detail:

    1. Download notes85_notes_linux_rpm_beta2_prod.tar

    2. It will contain several rpm packages including the main client program:
    ibm-lotus-notes-8.5.i586.rpm

    3. Extract it to a temp location using rpm2cpio.
    # mkdir lotus_notes_beta;
    # cat ibm-lotus-notes-8.5.i586.rpm | rpm2cpio - | \
    (cd lotus_notes_beta && cpio -imdv)

    4. Fixup permissions:
    # (cd lotus_notes_beta && chmod go+rx -R .)

    5. Run preinstall script (as extracted).
    # ./preinstall

    6. Paste extracted cpio at opt
    (cd lotus_notes_beta/opt && tar -cpf - .) | \
    (cd /opt && tar -xvf -)

    7. Run postinstall script (as extracted, with argument).
    # ./postinstall 1

    8. Check setup log to verify "provisioning" is successful:
    # cat /opt/ibm/lotus/notes/framework/rcp_install.log

    9. Log in as normal (non-root) user and start beta2 client. It is on the
    standard office menu, or can be started directly from the command line:
    $ /opt/ibm/lotus/notes/notes

    The first time it runs, it will prompt for license acceptance. Lotus
    Sametime can be manually deployed in similar fashion.

    _Final Comments_
    I assume that if I knew more about Slackware packaging method, then I
    could apply these fixups and encapsulate the result in a proper Slackware
    package. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to learn about all of the
    internals of packaging. Hopefully, this post will save someone else some
    time and trouble.

    One nice thing about IBM using the Eclipse Framework to develop this
    application is that the clients are uniform across all platforms (Linux,
    Mac, Windows). And for whatever reason, the performance of the Java based
    suite is much improved over previous offerings. At this point, it is very
    usable, and works fine, even if deployed on somewhat dated hardware.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  2. Re: FYI: Lotus Notes 8.5 (next beta)

    On 2008-11-02, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > Earlier this year, I posted this message about Lotus Notes 8.5, beta 1:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...15bda2bc37ab74
    >
    > I just checked back at their site and see that Lotus Notes 8.5, beta 2
    > has been released. This version's support is tied more closely to an RPM
    > based distribution or Debian package based. The previous version's generic
    > Java based install program is missing. I hacked away (including some
    > failed attempts), until I managed to get Beta 2 installed on Slackware
    > 12.0 + Dropline Gnome. Hopefully, this documentation will save someone
    > some time and trouble; skip down to "Try 3." I tried a couple of easy
    > methods first, which did not yield success:
    >
    > Unsuccessful:
    > Try 1. Convert .deb packages to Slackware tgz using "Alien"
    > Error: Not sure. Probably a side effect of not giving the proper
    > argument to an install script- (see try 3).

    Have a look at this script:
    http://www.slackware.com/~rworkman/s...unt.SlackBuild

    It will get you started on extracting a .deb, after which you can look at
    the various install scripts (they'll be in control.tar.gz iirc). Generally
    speaking, I'd much prefer to convert a .deb than a .rpm if given a choice.

    -RW

  3. Re: FYI: Lotus Notes 8.5 (next beta)

    On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 05:10:45 +0000, Robby Workman wrote:

    > On 2008-11-02, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    >> Earlier this year, I posted this message about Lotus Notes 8.5, beta 1:
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...15bda2bc37ab74
    >>
    >> I just checked back at their site and see that Lotus Notes 8.5, beta 2
    >> has been released. This version's support is tied more closely to an RPM
    >> based distribution or Debian package based. The previous version's generic
    >> Java based install program is missing. I hacked away (including some
    >> failed attempts), until I managed to get Beta 2 installed on Slackware
    >> 12.0 + Dropline Gnome. Hopefully, this documentation will save someone
    >> some time and trouble; skip down to "Try 3." I tried a couple of easy
    >> methods first, which did not yield success:
    >>
    >> Unsuccessful:
    >> Try 1. Convert .deb packages to Slackware tgz using "Alien"
    >> Error: Not sure. Probably a side effect of not giving the proper
    >> argument to an install script- (see try 3).

    > Have a look at this script:
    > http://www.slackware.com/~rworkman/s...unt.SlackBuild
    >
    > It will get you started on extracting a .deb, after which you can look at
    > the various install scripts (they'll be in control.tar.gz iirc). Generally
    > speaking, I'd much prefer to convert a .deb than a .rpm if given a choice.
    >
    > -RW

    Thanks, I looked it over. It is a good template, and I'll use it as a
    reference in the future.

    I had downloaded the ".deb" packages the Lotus Notes 8.5 from IBM. The
    "control" file exists and contains the same scripts as the rpm version.
    The question that I have is that the install script requires an argument,
    AFAICT. Does the Debian package manager provide default arguments to its
    setup scripts? Does it know to call preinstall, followed by postinstall? I
    was kind-of expecting that there would be some master control script for
    each package.

    Thanks again for the hints!

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  4. Re: FYI: Lotus Notes 8.5 (next beta)

    Douglas,

    Hope you still pay attention to this thread!

    Anyway, I need to install Lotus Notes 8.5 in my Slackware 12.2 notebook. I tried your how, from Try 3, but got stuck at:
    4. Fixup permissions:
    # (cd lotus_notes_beta && chmod go+rx -R .)

    You really meant chmod go+rx??

    Thanks in advance!

  5. Re: FYI: Lotus Notes 8.5 (next beta)

    Does anyone have Lotus Notes 8.5 BETA for linux ?
    Its no longer on IBM site and I've accidentally deleted my download.

    I had been using LN 8 beta on linux for 2-3 years and now suddenly i have to boot to windows in office as we use lotus for mails. The 8.5 evaluation is time limited to only 60 days so I can't use that.

    If someone has the beta RPMs i would really really appreciate if you could upload and give the link to me.
    Thanks in Advance.
    Amitabh
    (amitabhr at gmail)

+ Reply to Thread