Installing Slackware on a USB stick - Slackware

This is a discussion on Installing Slackware on a USB stick - Slackware ; I would like to install Slackware on a USB stick, so that I can boot off that stick on several computers (they all support booting off USB sticks). How can this be done?...

  1. Installing Slackware on a USB stick

    I would like to install Slackware on a USB stick, so that I can
    boot off that stick on several computers (they all support booting off
    USB sticks). How can this be done?

  2. Re: Installing Slackware on a USB stick

    On November 2, 2008 11:09, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Harold Weissman
    (HaroldW22@hotmail.com) wrote:

    > I would like to install Slackware on a USB stick, so that I can
    > boot off that stick on several computers (they all support booting off
    > USB sticks). How can this be done?

    From the Slackware 12.1 BOOTING.TXT
    "Sun Oct 1 23:00:46 CDT 2006

    NOTE: If you are interested in booting your system using PXE, a USB
    stick, or a mini-ISO (which may then be used to start network (NFS)
    installations) see Eric Hameleers' helpful page at this location:

    http://slackware.com:/~alien
    "

    Also, see the usb-and-pxe-installers/ directory of your Slackware install
    media.

    HTH
    --
    Lew Pitcher

  3. Re: Installing Slackware on a USB stick

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 16:09:28 +0000, Harold Weissman wrote:

    > I would like to install Slackware on a USB stick, so that I can boot off
    > that stick on several computers (they all support booting off USB
    > sticks). How can this be done?

    JFGI. STFW. GAFC.

  4. Re: Installing Slackware on a USB stick

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 11:21:04 -0500, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > On November 2, 2008 11:09, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Harold Weissman
    > (HaroldW22@hotmail.com) wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to install Slackware on a USB stick, so that I can boot
    >> off that stick on several computers (they all support booting off USB
    >> sticks). How can this be done?

    > From the Slackware 12.1 BOOTING.TXT
    > "Sun Oct 1 23:00:46 CDT 2006
    >
    > NOTE: If you are interested in booting your system using PXE, a USB
    > stick, or a mini-ISO (which may then be used to start network (NFS)
    > installations) see Eric Hameleers' helpful page at this location:
    >
    > http://slackware.com:/~alien
    > "
    >
    > Also, see the usb-and-pxe-installers/ directory of your Slackware
    > install media.

    Thanks very much for your feedback.

  5. Re: Installing Slackware on a USB stick

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 11:21:04 -0500, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > On November 2, 2008 11:09, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Harold Weissman
    > (HaroldW22@hotmail.com) wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to install Slackware on a USB stick, so that I can boot
    >> off that stick on several computers (they all support booting off USB
    >> sticks). How can this be done?

    > From the Slackware 12.1 BOOTING.TXT
    > "Sun Oct 1 23:00:46 CDT 2006
    >
    > NOTE: If you are interested in booting your system using PXE, a USB
    > stick, or a mini-ISO (which may then be used to start network (NFS)
    > installations) see Eric Hameleers' helpful page at this location:
    >
    > http://slackware.com:/~alien
    > "
    >
    > Also, see the usb-and-pxe-installers/ directory of your Slackware
    > install media.

    After looking into the README files in the usb-and-pxe-installers
    directory, I have the feeling that this is not what I want. The relevant
    README in this directory describes how to create a bootable USB stick so
    that one can boot a minimalist Slackware with all the setup scripts, so
    that one may install Slackware elsewhere (not on that USB stick) using
    Slackware sources (for the many packets that make up Slackware) over the
    network.

    What I would like to do is to install a full-fledged Slackware on
    to a USB stick, rather than a hard drive. When the time comes to selecting
    the installation device, how does one select a USB stick, rather than a
    hard drive? In fact, some of the boxes I'll be dealing with will be
    diskless. My Slackware installation setup would be the following:

    A (possibly, but not necessarily) diskless box with at least two
    USB sockets.

    A USB stick containing the bootable minimalistic installation
    Slackware image, created as described in usb-and-pxe-installers.

    A USB stick, conveniently partitioned, where Slackware will be
    installed.

    I guess that this second USB stick would have to remain plugged
    into the box where Slackware is running, for as long as it is running, but
    that's OK; USB sticks are inexpensive, and can be cloned easily.

    How can this all be done?

  6. Re: Installing Slackware on a USB stick

    Hallo, Harold,

    Du meintest am 02.11.08:

    > What I would like to do is to install a full-fledged Slackware on
    > to a USB stick, rather than a hard drive.

    Look at RIP

    http://www.tux.org/pub/tux/robotti/l...rip/index.html
    ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/tux/robotti/looplinux/rip/

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  7. Re: Installing Slackware on a USB stick

    Harold Weissman wrote:

    > I would like to install Slackware on a USB stick, so that I can
    > boot off that stick on several computers (they all support booting off
    > USB sticks). How can this be done?

    http://www.linux-live.org/

    mfg,
    Rupa

  8. Re: Installing Slackware on a USB stick

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 19:34:31 +0100, Rupa Zangpo wrote:

    > Harold Weissman wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to install Slackware on a USB stick, so that I can boot
    >> off that stick on several computers (they all support booting off USB
    >> sticks). How can this be done?

    > http://www.linux-live.org/

    That seems to be what I am looking for. Much appreciated.

  9. Re: Installing Slackware on a USB stick

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, Harold Weissman wrote:

    > What I would like to do is to install a full-fledged Slackware on
    > to a USB stick, rather than a hard drive. When the time comes to selecting
    > the installation device, how does one select a USB stick, rather than a
    > hard drive? In fact, some of the boxes I'll be dealing with will be
    > diskless. My Slackware installation setup would be the following:

    It shouldn't be complicated. A USB flash drive is the same thing
    as a hard drive. I've never tried it, so I don't know if the installer
    allows one to select a USB flash drive as the target.

    If it doesn't then all you have to do is install to a partition on your
    hard drive. Ignore the stuff about lilo. You then have what you
    want/need on that partition. Copy it to the USB flash drive, and it
    should be absolutely the same. You'll have to edit a few things like
    etc/fstab because you're are no longer on the partition it was set up
    for.

    You now have two installations of Slackware, what you are missing is
    making it bootable. Install a bootloader to the USB drive, configuring
    it so it will use the kernel and whatever else is needed on that USB flash
    drive. There's no difference from installing a bootloader to that
    partition on the hard drive where you initially installed the
    distribution.

    There are configuration issues here. Since you don't want a lot of
    writes to the USB flash drive (since it can only be written to a certain
    amount of times before it dies), you'd want to configure it so the
    install doesn't use many writes to the USB flash drive. So live without
    swap (I am intrigued though, to find that the Aspire One running Linpus
    Lite allocates 1gig of flash memory to swap, I'm not sure how they make
    use of that), and likely turn off all the logging demons. Or have
    these things written to ram, and then saved when you shut down. The idea
    is to limit the things that regularly write to disk, but it's a
    configuration thing not really an install issue.

    I intend to do put Slackware on a USB flash drive for my Aspire One,
    just as soon as I order Slackware 12.1 and it arrives. I want to put
    it on a flash drive so I still have the current Linpus Lite install
    to fall back on. I've never done it, so I don't have a script, but
    I don't see it as overly difficult.

    Michael

  10. Re: Installing Slackware on a USB stick

    Michael Black wrote:
    > It shouldn't be complicated. A USB flash drive is the same thing
    > as a hard drive. I've never tried it,

    ....so you write a whole lot of bullsh** instead of either have a try
    first or stfu! :-(

    mfg,
    Rupa

  11. Re: Installing Slackware on a USB stick

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 19:29:00 +0100, Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > Hallo, Harold,
    >
    > Du meintest am 02.11.08:
    >
    >> What I would like to do is to install a full-fledged Slackware on
    >> to a USB stick, rather than a hard drive.

    Nothing stopping you!

    > Look at RIP
    >
    > http://www.tux.org/pub/tux/robotti/l...rip/index.html
    > ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/tux/robotti/looplinux/rip/

    Specifically:

    http://www.tux.org/pub/tux/robotti/l.../rip/mkusb.txt

    You may also find useful resources at

    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

    > Viele Gruesse
    > Helmut
    >
    > "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    Helmut, please add the "-- " at the start of your .sig file. TIA.

    Also, you may want a new joke. That one is now several releases out of
    date and support and updates are no longer available.

  12. Re: Installing Slackware on a USB stick

    On 3 Nov 2008 11:09:56 +0100, Mark Madsen wrote:

    >> Viele Gruesse
    >> Helmut
    >>
    >> "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    >Helmut, please add the "-- " at the start of your .sig file. TIA.
    >
    >Also, you may want a new joke. That one is now several releases out of
    >date and support and updates are no longer available.

    Hah, you're not the first to try get Helmut to change this habit, I don't
    think he comprehends what the delimiter does, nor plagiarism...
    Dunt really matter though, each to 'is own )

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au

+ Reply to Thread