x.org oddity on -current with 2.6.27.4 - Slackware

This is a discussion on x.org oddity on -current with 2.6.27.4 - Slackware ; Hi, I'm on -current. With kernel 2.6.26.6 everything is smooth, x runs just fine. But when I'm on 2.6.27.4 (make oldconfig) x won't even start. Yes, I know the log-foo - I'm merely interested in others having experienced a similar ...

  1. x.org oddity on -current with 2.6.27.4

    Hi,

    I'm on -current. With kernel 2.6.26.6 everything is smooth, x runs just
    fine. But when I'm on 2.6.27.4 (make oldconfig) x won't even start.

    Yes, I know the log-foo - I'm merely interested in others having
    experienced a similar oddity before I dive headlong into the mess.

    Was something changed in mainline that severly affects X? I tend to
    keep track of the Big Bumps but obviously I must have missed something
    sneaky.

    Maybe make oldconfig doesn't do the trick anymore...

    Any other ideas?

    S.

  2. Re: x.org oddity on -current with 2.6.27.4

    Simon Sibbez writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm on -current. With kernel 2.6.26.6 everything is smooth, x runs just
    > fine. But when I'm on 2.6.27.4 (make oldconfig) x won't even start.
    >
    > Yes, I know the log-foo - I'm merely interested in others having
    > experienced a similar oddity before I dive headlong into the mess.
    >
    > Was something changed in mainline that severly affects X? I tend to
    > keep track of the Big Bumps but obviously I must have missed something
    > sneaky.
    >
    > Maybe make oldconfig doesn't do the trick anymore...
    >
    > Any other ideas?

    Did you build and install the nvidia drivers (or some other proprietary
    drivers) for the 2.6.26.6 kernel and not do so for the 2.6.27.4 ? This
    caught me a few weeks back.

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  3. Re: x.org oddity on -current with 2.6.27.4

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 22:28:43 +0100, Simon Sibbez wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm on -current. With kernel 2.6.26.6 everything is smooth, x runs just
    >fine. But when I'm on 2.6.27.4 (make oldconfig) x won't even start.
    >
    >Yes, I know the log-foo - I'm merely interested in others having
    >experienced a similar oddity before I dive headlong into the mess.
    >
    >Was something changed in mainline that severly affects X? I tend to
    >keep track of the Big Bumps but obviously I must have missed something
    >sneaky.
    >
    >Maybe make oldconfig doesn't do the trick anymore...

    Follow make oldconfig with a make menuconfig and check through all
    options because some changes are being made that affect X. Near MTRR
    are some new options, and PAT. X gets a mention in the Kconfig help
    text.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au

  4. Re: x.org oddity on -current with 2.6.27.4

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 21:48:16 +0000, Glyn Millington wrote:

    >Simon Sibbez writes:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm on -current. With kernel 2.6.26.6 everything is smooth, x runs just
    >> fine. But when I'm on 2.6.27.4 (make oldconfig) x won't even start.
    >>
    >> Yes, I know the log-foo - I'm merely interested in others having
    >> experienced a similar oddity before I dive headlong into the mess.
    >>
    >> Was something changed in mainline that severly affects X? I tend to
    >> keep track of the Big Bumps but obviously I must have missed something
    >> sneaky.
    >>
    >> Maybe make oldconfig doesn't do the trick anymore...
    >>
    >> Any other ideas?

    >Did you build and install the nvidia drivers (or some other proprietary
    >drivers) for the 2.6.26.6 kernel and not do so for the 2.6.27.4 ? This
    >caught me a few weeks back.

    I thought that gave an obvious error? But then I don't use X directly
    very much at the moment -- can't remember details.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au

  5. Re: x.org oddity on -current with 2.6.27.4

    Grant wrote:

    > I thought that gave an obvious error? But then I don't use X directly
    > very much at the moment -- can't remember details.

    With Nvidia, I think the module just wouldn't load, and of course, startx
    would bomb. That would be something to check - do a "lsmod" and see if the
    appropriate module actually loaded.

    - Kurt

  6. Re: x.org oddity on -current with 2.6.27.4

    ~kurt writes:

    > Grant wrote:
    >>
    >> I thought that gave an obvious error? But then I don't use X directly
    >> very much at the moment -- can't remember details.

    > With Nvidia, I think the module just wouldn't load, and of course, startx
    > would bomb. That would be something to check - do a "lsmod" and see if the
    > appropriate module actually loaded.
    >
    > - Kurt

    That's exactly that I got here! Took a while for the penny to drop ....

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html