Slackware on the HP 2311 subnotebook - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware on the HP 2311 subnotebook - Slackware ; Anybody in this group has experience installing Slackware on the HP 2311 subnotebook? It comes with SuSE Enterprise Desktop, which is the closest to Windows I have seen in the Linux world, in the way of closeness and inflexibility; I'd ...

  1. Slackware on the HP 2311 subnotebook

    Anybody in this group has experience installing Slackware on the
    HP 2311 subnotebook? It comes with SuSE Enterprise Desktop, which is the
    closest to Windows I have seen in the Linux world, in the way of
    closeness and inflexibility; I'd like to have a go at Slackware on it, if
    that is at all feasible.

  2. Re: Slackware on the HP 2311 subnotebook

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, J. Sommers wrote:

    > Anybody in this group has experience installing Slackware on the
    > HP 2311 subnotebook? It comes with SuSE Enterprise Desktop, which is the
    > closest to Windows I have seen in the Linux world, in the way of
    > closeness and inflexibility; I'd like to have a go at Slackware on it, if
    > that is at all feasible.

    I have no idea, not having one.

    It does seem like all of the subnotebooks are being tried with various
    distributions, with varying results. That may reflect the knowledge
    or skill of the person doing it, since I saw one set of instructions
    for one of the machines and one distribution that basically ended with
    "the install was a success though I couldn't get it to sleep properly
    and never did get wifi going".

    Of course, those are probably the two points that may be most significant,
    since that sort of thing seems a traditional problem when installing
    Linux on a laptop.

    Once I get Slack 12.1, I intend to try to put it on my Aspire One. I
    think I'd try to use a USB flash drive, so I can play with it on
    that until I make sure it all works properly.

    Michael

  3. Re: Slackware on the HP 2311 subnotebook

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 01:51:05 +0000, J. Sommers wrote:

    > Anybody in this group has experience installing Slackware on the HP 2311
    > subnotebook?

    Not I personally, but I would like to leave you some thoughts on the
    topic. Michael Black also had some good advice I note.

    > It comes with SuSE Enterprise Desktop, which is the closest
    > to Windows I have seen in the Linux world, in the way of closeness and
    > inflexibility;

    The do-everything-for-you distros are the simplest to set up on most of
    the subnotebooks in general. Mandriva, for example, detects the small
    screen on my EeePC and the esoteric bits mostly work. Asus puts Xandros
    on the EeePC, and the Aspire One comes with a slightly hacked Fedora.
    They all work pretty well too, so it must be possible to make Slack work
    too.

    > I'd like to have a go at Slackware on it, if that is at
    > all feasible.

    It should be perfectly possible, but you should plan ahead. For example,
    the 12.1 default kernel is 2.6.21.something, which is quite aged now.
    Plan to build a fresh kernel. And you may need to do it ahead of time
    and roll your own USB key for install if the 2.6.21.whatever doesn't
    recognise the wired interface on the 2311.

    You might want to look at eeeuser.com for some tips on what it took to
    get Slack working on the EeePC, there will be quite a bit of overlap.

+ Reply to Thread