Linux Kernel source - Slackware

This is a discussion on Linux Kernel source - Slackware ; I am using slackware 11.0 with Linux kernel 2.4.33.3 and while viewing the release notes I see that slackware 11.0 includes Linux 2.6.17.13 kernel source as well. I only see the source for kernel 2.4.33.3 in my /usr/src directory. Where ...

  1. Linux Kernel source

    I am using slackware 11.0 with Linux kernel 2.4.33.3 and while viewing
    the release notes I see that slackware 11.0 includes Linux 2.6.17.13
    kernel source as well.

    I only see the source for kernel 2.4.33.3 in my /usr/src directory.

    Where is the source for the other kernel located??

    Also, can anyone point me to a howto for building the 2.6 kernel source,
    I would like to be able to boot from either kernel at boot time
    through the LiLo menu.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Linux Kernel source

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008, George wrote:

    > I am using slackware 11.0 with Linux kernel 2.4.33.3 and while viewing the
    > release notes I see that slackware 11.0 includes Linux 2.6.17.13 kernel
    > source as well.
    >
    > I only see the source for kernel 2.4.33.3 in my /usr/src directory.
    >
    > Where is the source for the other kernel located??
    >
    > Also, can anyone point me to a howto for building the 2.6 kernel source, I
    > would like to be able to boot from either kernel at boot time through the
    > LiLo menu.
    >
    > Thanks

    It's probably in extra. You may have to specifically install the package,
    rather than expect it to be installed. And generally, I think the
    package would include the source and the binary, so you'd just need to
    move the kernel to /boot.

    Michael

  3. Re: Linux Kernel source

    George wrote:

    > Also, can anyone point me to a howto for building the 2.6 kernel source,

    I've always used the README in the linux source directory. The Slackware
    book off the slackware.com site also has a section on building the kernel
    that I believe is now 2.6 oriented. But, I'd recommend just going with the
    README file.

    > I would like to be able to boot from either kernel at boot time
    > through the LiLo menu.

    The /etc/lilo.conf file will end somthing like this for, say, a Windoz
    partition, and two Linux ones:

    # End LILO global section
    # Windows bootable partition config begins
    other = /dev/sda1
    label = Windows
    table = /dev/sda
    # Windows bootable partition config ends
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.5-smp
    root = /dev/sda5
    label = Linux-smp
    read-only