VMware server 2.0: got it working? - Slackware

This is a discussion on VMware server 2.0: got it working? - Slackware ; I tried getting VMware server 2.0 working on Slamd64. It is both more and less Slackware friendly than previous vmware products. (It requires PAM now, but it otherwise mostly compiles out of the box, without needing the dreaded vmware-any-any patches.) ...

  1. VMware server 2.0: got it working?

    I tried getting VMware server 2.0 working on Slamd64. It is both more
    and less Slackware friendly than previous vmware products. (It
    requires PAM now, but it otherwise mostly compiles out of the box,
    without needing the dreaded vmware-any-any patches.) I got to the
    point where it will start a VM (I can hear sounds played from that OS
    when it boots) but the program that should open a window displaying
    the VM doesn't work, so I can not interact with the vm.

    I am loathe to blow away my working 1.0.6 server installation on
    Slack 12.1, since it was a pain to get it running in the first place.
    And it seems pretty much impossible to have two versions of vmware
    running side by side.

    So... does anyone here have vmware server 2.0 running correctly on
    either Slackware 12.1 or slamd64 12.1? If so, can you give a short
    report of how it went (slack 12.1) or how you got the vmware "console
    window" to show up (slamd64)?

    Thanks.
    Jim

  2. Re: VMware server 2.0: got it working?

    Jim Diamond wrote:

    >I tried getting VMware server 2.0 working on Slamd64. It is both more
    >and less Slackware friendly than previous vmware products. (It
    >requires PAM now, but it otherwise mostly compiles out of the box,
    >without needing the dreaded vmware-any-any patches.) I got to the
    >point where it will start a VM (I can hear sounds played from that OS
    >when it boots) but the program that should open a window displaying
    >the VM doesn't work, so I can not interact with the vm.
    >
    >I am loathe to blow away my working 1.0.6 server installation on
    >Slack 12.1, since it was a pain to get it running in the first place.
    >And it seems pretty much impossible to have two versions of vmware
    >running side by side.
    >
    >So... does anyone here have vmware server 2.0 running correctly on
    >either Slackware 12.1 or slamd64 12.1? If so, can you give a short
    >report of how it went (slack 12.1) or how you got the vmware "console
    >window" to show up (slamd64)?
    >
    >Thanks.
    > Jim

    [Sorry about the email response, got my shortcut key confused.]

    Which kernel version are you running?

    VMWare appears to be "seriously" broken with the (most recent) 2.6.27
    kernel stream.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove ".invalid" from my domain.

  3. Re: VMware server 2.0: got it working?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:29:20 -0300, Jim Diamond wrote:
    > I tried getting VMware server 2.0 working on Slamd64. It is both more
    > and less Slackware friendly than previous vmware products. (It
    > requires PAM now, but it otherwise mostly compiles out of the box,
    > without needing the dreaded vmware-any-any patches.) I got to the
    > point where it will start a VM (I can hear sounds played from that OS
    > when it boots) but the program that should open a window displaying
    > the VM doesn't work, so I can not interact with the vm.
    >
    > I am loathe to blow away my working 1.0.6 server installation on
    > Slack 12.1, since it was a pain to get it running in the first place.
    > And it seems pretty much impossible to have two versions of vmware
    > running side by side.
    >
    > So... does anyone here have vmware server 2.0 running correctly on
    > either Slackware 12.1 or slamd64 12.1? If so, can you give a short
    > report of how it went (slack 12.1) or how you got the vmware "console
    > window" to show up (slamd64)?

    Jim

    Slackware 12.1
    My first try at Vmware, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.
    Main problem for me was getting login to work, seems you already got
    past the PAM problem. I have Vmware 2.0 working on two Slackware 12.1 boxes.
    One has Win2k for a VM and the other has Slackware 12.1 as a VM.
    Both work the same way for grabbing the console. First "power on" the
    VM and then go to the "Console" tab.
    At the "Console" it says "Powered on" and down below it says "Click anywhere
    to open the virtual machine." A click of the mouse brings up the VM.

    --
    Ken P

  4. Re: VMware server 2.0: got it working?

    On 2008-10-26 at 13:58 ADT, Doug Mitton wrote:
    > Jim Diamond wrote:
    >
    >>I tried getting VMware server 2.0 working on Slamd64. It is both more
    >>and less Slackware friendly than previous vmware products. (It
    >>requires PAM now, but it otherwise mostly compiles out of the box,
    >>without needing the dreaded vmware-any-any patches.) I got to the
    >>point where it will start a VM (I can hear sounds played from that OS
    >>when it boots) but the program that should open a window displaying
    >>the VM doesn't work, so I can not interact with the vm.
    >>
    >>I am loathe to blow away my working 1.0.6 server installation on
    >>Slack 12.1, since it was a pain to get it running in the first place.
    >>And it seems pretty much impossible to have two versions of vmware
    >>running side by side.
    >>
    >>So... does anyone here have vmware server 2.0 running correctly on
    >>either Slackware 12.1 or slamd64 12.1? If so, can you give a short
    >>report of how it went (slack 12.1) or how you got the vmware "console
    >>window" to show up (slamd64)?

    > [Sorry about the email response, got my shortcut key confused.]

    Didn't get it... my e-mail addr above is invalid, but the real one is
    easily guessed.

    > Which kernel version are you running?

    2.6.26.2

    > VMWare appears to be "seriously" broken with the (most recent) 2.6.27
    > kernel stream.

    Among the reasons I'm not up to the "latest & greatest" is vmware,
    which needs to be recompiled for each kernel release, and even at the
    best of times the 1.0.x stream are usually a pain, since one has to
    track down the appropriate vmware-any-any. (It is really nice of the
    person who makes up the patches to do so, but I've always thought
    "any" was a bit optimistic.)

    Cheers.
    Jim

  5. Re: VMware server 2.0: got it working?

    On 2008-10-26 at 14:19 ADT, Ken P wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:29:20 -0300, Jim Diamond wrote:
    >> I tried getting VMware server 2.0 working on Slamd64. It is both more
    >> and less Slackware friendly than previous vmware products. (It
    >> requires PAM now, but it otherwise mostly compiles out of the box,
    >> without needing the dreaded vmware-any-any patches.) I got to the
    >> point where it will start a VM (I can hear sounds played from that OS
    >> when it boots) but the program that should open a window displaying
    >> the VM doesn't work, so I can not interact with the vm.
    >>
    >> I am loathe to blow away my working 1.0.6 server installation on
    >> Slack 12.1, since it was a pain to get it running in the first place.
    >> And it seems pretty much impossible to have two versions of vmware
    >> running side by side.
    >>
    >> So... does anyone here have vmware server 2.0 running correctly on
    >> either Slackware 12.1 or slamd64 12.1? If so, can you give a short
    >> report of how it went (slack 12.1) or how you got the vmware "console
    >> window" to show up (slamd64)?

    > Slackware 12.1
    > My first try at Vmware, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.
    > Main problem for me was getting login to work, seems you already got
    > past the PAM problem. I have Vmware 2.0 working on two Slackware 12.1 boxes.
    > One has Win2k for a VM and the other has Slackware 12.1 as a VM.
    > Both work the same way for grabbing the console. First "power on" the
    > VM and then go to the "Console" tab.
    > At the "Console" it says "Powered on" and down below it says "Click anywhere
    > to open the virtual machine." A click of the mouse brings up the VM.

    Ken,

    this is exactly the info I was looking for. Glad to hear it works on
    Slackware 12.1.

    When I try that "Click anywhere" under slamd64, I get an error from
    the firefox plugin. (Annoyingly, the message goes to firefox's stdout
    or stderr, so I only found it when perusing my ~/.xsession-errors
    file.) I tried a web search for that error message, but found nothing
    so far.

    Thanks for the success report.

    Jim

  6. Re: VMware server 2.0: got it working?

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:29:20 -0300, Jim Diamond wrote:

    > I tried getting VMware server 2.0 working on Slamd64. It is both more
    > and less Slackware friendly than previous vmware products. (It requires
    > PAM now, but it otherwise mostly compiles out of the box, without
    > needing the dreaded vmware-any-any patches.) I got to the point where it
    > will start a VM (I can hear sounds played from that OS when it boots)
    > but the program that should open a window displaying the VM doesn't
    > work, so I can not interact with the vm.
    >
    > I am loathe to blow away my working 1.0.6 server installation on Slack
    > 12.1, since it was a pain to get it running in the first place. And it
    > seems pretty much impossible to have two versions of vmware running side
    > by side.
    >
    > So... does anyone here have vmware server 2.0 running correctly on
    > either Slackware 12.1 or slamd64 12.1? If so, can you give a short
    > report of how it went (slack 12.1) or how you got the vmware "console
    > window" to show up (slamd64)?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Jim

    Hi, I had it (server 2.0) running OK on Slackware 12.1 without any
    particular installation problems. I too had to install PAM.
    I concluded that the fancy interface was just too much overhead for what
    it gave me. So I uninstalled VMServer and continue using VMWare Player
    and edit the .vmx files 'by hand' using kwrite.
    Cheers, Peter

+ Reply to Thread