Booting from software RAID - Slackware

This is a discussion on Booting from software RAID - Slackware ; Hi, we plan to do a fresh install with Slackware 12.1 and want to boot from a Linux software raid (consisting of two SATA disks) which is still to be created. Will this be possible out-of-the-box? Thanks in advance. Leo....

  1. Booting from software RAID

    Hi,

    we plan to do a fresh install with Slackware 12.1 and want to boot from
    a Linux software raid (consisting of two SATA disks) which is still to
    be created.

    Will this be possible out-of-the-box?

    Thanks in advance.

    Leo.

  2. Re: Booting from software RAID

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:23:09 +0200, Leonhard Fellermayr
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    >we plan to do a fresh install with Slackware 12.1 and want to boot from
    >a Linux software raid (consisting of two SATA disks) which is still to
    >be created.
    >
    >Will this be possible out-of-the-box?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Leo.

    Yes.

    Everyone has an opinion and mine is worth exactly what everyone
    else's is worth, which is sh*t, but don't blindly jump in without
    doing some testing.

    Don't.

    You don't say what level of RAID, but from "two SATA disks" I guess
    you intend RAID 1.

    I run several Slackware boxes. Most have 4 drives in a software RAID
    5. I can't back up the following claim with any numbers, but the
    performance hit is extremely noticeable (can you say "HUGE"?). In the
    days when backup media large, convenient and fast enough to keep a
    daily backup was easy, I ran SW RAID 0. Even RAID 0 involves a
    substantial performance hit. ADVICE: Buy a real (NOT software!) RAID
    controller so that your Slackware installation process sees a single
    drive.

    You have choices for booting a RAID setup. Still with the
    understanding about opinions, think about creating a small ext2
    partition at the beginning of each drive, which you do not RAID and
    which you mount as /boot. Also create a small partition on each HD as
    swap space and configure that in /etc/fstab where "defaults,pri=1"
    spreads the swaps out over both the drives; if you don't include
    "pri=1", most swaps will be to the first HD. In this scenario, you
    are not booting RAID, you are booting ext2. Perhaps some day the
    ability to boot from sdb1 will save your ass.

    /end rant/
    buck

+ Reply to Thread