How to Install an Emulex HBA on Slackware - Slackware

This is a discussion on How to Install an Emulex HBA on Slackware - Slackware ; On the Emulex site there are instructions of how to install the Emulex kit Driver for some distributions but how do I install it if I have another distro, like Slackware?. http://www.emulex.com/support/linux/linux_26_3.jsp...

  1. How to Install an Emulex HBA on Slackware

    On the Emulex site there are instructions of how to install the Emulex
    kit Driver for some distributions but how do I install it if I have
    another distro, like Slackware?.

    http://www.emulex.com/support/linux/linux_26_3.jsp

  2. Re: How to Install an Emulex HBA on Slackware

    On Oct 22, 9:41 am, nehem...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On the Emulex site there are instructions of how to install the Emulex
    > kit Driver for some distributions but how do I install it if I have
    > another distro, like Slackware?.
    >
    > http://www.emulex.com/support/linux/linux_26_3.jsp

    You could install the Slackware rpm package, and use that, or you
    could use Slackware's rmp2tgz program, which attempts to convert the
    rpm into a Slackware package, and use installpkg on the tgz file that
    results. I'm not saying either of these methods will actually work,
    but it's worth a try maybe...

  3. Re: How to Install an Emulex HBA on Slackware

    Chris Sorenson wrote:
    >> http://www.emulex.com/support/linux/linux_26_3.jsp

    > You could install the Slackware rpm package, and use that, or you

    ^^^^^^^^^
    I THINK you mean the RedHat rpm package
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  4. Re: How to Install an Emulex HBA on Slackware

    Hallo, Chris,

    Du meintest am 22.10.08:

    >> On the Emulex site there are instructions of how to install the
    >> Emulex kit Driver for some distributions but how do I install it if
    >> I have another distro, like Slackware?.
    >>
    >> http://www.emulex.com/support/linux/linux_26_3.jsp

    > You could install the Slackware rpm package, and use that, or you
    > could use Slackware's rmp2tgz program, which attempts to convert the
    > rpm into a Slackware package, and use installpkg on the tgz file that
    > results.

    "rpm2tgz" is a bit dangerous - it doesn't rename configuration files to
    "config.new" and test its use with the "config" function in "doinst.sh".

    Therefore I use my homebrewed "rpm2slack" from

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  5. Re: How to Install an Emulex HBA on Slackware

    Eef Hartman wrote:

    > Chris Sorenson wrote:
    >> You could install the Slackware rpm package, and use that, or you

    > ^^^^^^^^^
    > I THINK you mean the RedHat rpm package

    No, I think he meant to install Slackware's rpm package
    (rpm-4.2.1-i486-3.tgz, in Slackware-12.1 for example), and use that to
    install the Emulex driver .rpm package in Slackware. It's ugly, but it
    would work.

    I recall installing some Emulex HBA drivers on some systems here a few
    years ago (back when Slackware-9.1 was recent) ... it looks like the
    driver package I downloaded from Emulex was a source package, though
    (and I simply compiled that into my kernels). I don't know if that
    helps at all in this case.

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University