initrd.gz on slackware 12.1 - Slackware

This is a discussion on initrd.gz on slackware 12.1 - Slackware ; I hope this hasn't been answered too often, didn't find it by googleing. Installed a Slackware 12.1 with a 2.6 Kernel, but the setup didn't create an initrd.gz. Thus the system cannot start. I then chrooted into the newly build ...

  1. initrd.gz on slackware 12.1

    I hope this hasn't been answered too often, didn't find it by googleing.

    Installed a Slackware 12.1 with a 2.6 Kernel, but the setup didn't
    create an initrd.gz. Thus the system cannot start. I then chrooted
    into the newly build slackware system from another partition and made
    one with mkinitrd. But this didn't help. The initrd was not found by grub.

    What can I do? Restart the installation all over? How can I make sure
    that this time a proper initrd is created?

    Thanks for any help,

    erch

  2. Re: initrd.gz on slackware 12.1

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:06:00 +0200, Erch wrote:

    > I hope this hasn't been answered too often, didn't find it by googleing.
    >
    > Installed a Slackware 12.1 with a 2.6 Kernel, but the setup didn't
    > create an initrd.gz.

    Then you didn't complete the setup/install completely/correctly. The
    default installation (with hugesmp kernel) does this by itself.

    > Thus the system cannot start. I then chrooted into the newly build
    > slackware system from another partition and made one with mkinitrd. But
    > this didn't help. The initrd was not found by grub.

    It's not going to be "found" by GRUB. You have to edit
    /boot/grub/menu.lst to add the line for the initrd.

    > What can I do? Restart the installation all over? How can I make sure
    > that this time a proper initrd is created?

    Yes, start over and make sure you complete the installation properly.

  3. Re: initrd.gz on slackware 12.1

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:06:00 +0200, Erch wrote:

    [...]
    >> Installed a Slackware 12.1 with a 2.6 Kernel, but the setup didn't
    >> create an initrd.gz.

    > Then you didn't complete the setup/install completely/correctly. The
    > default installation (with hugesmp kernel) does this by itself.

    [...]
    > It's not going to be "found" by GRUB. You have to edit
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst to add the line for the initrd.

    [...]
    > Yes, start over and make sure you complete the installation properly.

    Excuse me, perhaps I found the point. I didn't install grub, because I
    wanted to start it from an existing system and the menu.lst there. May
    this be the reason because no initrd.gz was written?

    erch

  4. Re: initrd.gz on slackware 12.1

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:40:53 +0200, Erch wrote:

    >> It's not going to be "found" by GRUB. You have to edit
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst to add the line for the initrd.

    > [...]
    >> Yes, start over and make sure you complete the installation properly.

    > Excuse me, perhaps I found the point. I didn't install grub, because I
    > wanted to start it from an existing system and the menu.lst there. May
    > this be the reason because no initrd.gz was written?

    Could be, yes. I just remembered that GRUB isn't installed anyway, as
    by default the bootloader is LILO. There is a file in /boot called
    "README.initrd" which explains how to make the initrd image, and it's
    quite easy to do. Recommend you try that, and then add the initrd line to
    the existing menu.lst.

  5. Re: initrd.gz on slackware 12.1

    Dan C wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:40:53 +0200, Erch wrote:

    [...]
    >>> Yes, start over and make sure you complete the installation properly.

    >> Excuse me, perhaps I found the point. I didn't install grub, because I

    [...]
    > Could be, yes. I just remembered that GRUB isn't installed anyway, as
    > by default the bootloader is LILO. There is a file in /boot called
    > "README.initrd" which explains how to make the initrd image, and it's
    > quite easy to do. Recommend you try that, and then add the initrd line to
    > the existing menu.lst.

    I didn't install lilo neither. Anyway, I'll try again. Thanks a lot!

    erch

  6. Re: initrd.gz on slackware 12.1

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Erch wrote:

    > I hope this hasn't been answered too often, didn't find it by googleing.
    >
    > Installed a Slackware 12.1 with a 2.6 Kernel, but the setup didn't
    > create an initrd.gz. Thus the system cannot start. I then chrooted
    > into the newly build slackware system from another partition and made
    > one with mkinitrd. But this didn't help. The initrd was not found by grub.
    >
    > What can I do? Restart the installation all over? How can I make sure
    > that this time a proper initrd is created?

    Whether or not you need initrd depends on what kernel you are using.
    I'm using 12.0, and the default is vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.21.5-smp It
    is "huge", 4.4megs. That puts everything in there.

    It's if you use a smaller kernel, you need the initrd in order to supply
    what's needed to boot.

    12.0 does install them all, but uses that kernel. I don't know 12.1 so
    I don't know if the absence of an initrd file is because something is
    missing from the install, or you selected the huge kernel and 12.1 doesn't
    automatically install the rest (since it's not needed).

    If you have an existing setup, and this is in addition to some other
    distribution, then you have to setup your bootloader to deal with this
    new install. Unless it's told where this kernel and peripheral things
    are, it can't boot.

    Michael

  7. Re: initrd.gz on slackware 12.1

    Erch wrote:

    > I hope this hasn't been answered too often, didn't find it by googleing.
    >
    > Installed a Slackware 12.1 with a 2.6 Kernel, but the setup didn't
    > create an initrd.gz. Thus the system cannot start. I then chrooted
    > into the newly build slackware system from another partition and made
    > one with mkinitrd. But this didn't help. The initrd was not found by
    > grub.
    >
    > What can I do? Restart the installation all over? How can I make sure
    > that this time a proper initrd is created?

    What I'd do if I were in your shoes would be to build a kernel with the
    requite drivers (I assume PATA and or SATA) and filesystems (I assume
    ext3 / reiser) complied in, NOT as modules. You could use the
    default .config from your slackware installation. That saves a lot of
    messing around with initrd. I assume that you could do that from the other
    distro you already have installed on the system?

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  8. Re: initrd.gz on slackware 12.1

    Erch wrote:

    > I hope this hasn't been answered too often, didn't find it by googleing.
    >
    > Installed a Slackware 12.1 with a 2.6 Kernel, but the setup didn't
    > create an initrd.gz. Thus the system cannot start. I then chrooted
    > into the newly build slackware system from another partition and made
    > one with mkinitrd. But this didn't help. The initrd was not found by
    > grub.

    Second thought. You already have a working linux distribution on the
    machine. I assume it has a fairly recent kernel, so it does not differ all
    that much from the version with Slackware 12.1. You could try using the
    kernel and initrd.gz from the existing distro. Try the following:

    1. Copy your existing grub menu.lst entry for the working distro.
    2. Rename the copy Slackware or similar.
    3. Replace the entry for the root partition with the slackware root
    partition.
    4. Copy (from the existing distro) /lib/modules/ to
    slackware
    partition /lib/modules/.
    5. Boot and see if it works.

    You might need to run depmod -a on boot (perhaps??). If it does not
    complain after a second boot into Slackware then all is well.

    I'm assuming that the existing distro is not doing anything too
    speciallised. I've booted Slack 12.0 using the kernel from Ubuntu before
    with no ill effect.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  9. Re: initrd.gz on slackware 12.1

    Problem solved, Slackware up and running.
    More explicit answer below.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Michael Black wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Erch wrote:

    [...]
    >> Installed a Slackware 12.1 with a 2.6 Kernel, but the setup didn't
    >> create an initrd.gz. Thus the system cannot start. I then chrooted
    >> into the newly build slackware system from another partition and made

    [...]
    > Whether or not you need initrd depends on what kernel you are using.
    > I'm using 12.0, and the default is vmlinuz-huge-smp-2.6.21.5-smp It
    > is "huge", 4.4megs. That puts everything in there.

    [...]

    And so it works. I was so fixed on the existence of an initrd, that I
    missed this point.

    Besides this there were two other problems.

    First, I had to reinstall grub because of problems not of interest here.

    Then, every other Linux here considers the partition in question as
    "/dev/sda7", Slackware calls it "/dev/hda7", and I had to figure that
    out too.

    Thanks a lot!

    erch

  10. Re: initrd.gz on slackware 12.1

    Peter Chant wrote:

    > Erch wrote:

    [...]
    >> Installed a Slackware 12.1 with a 2.6 Kernel, but the setup didn't
    >> create an initrd.gz. Thus the system cannot start. I then chrooted

    [...]
    > What I'd do if I were in your shoes would be to build a kernel with the
    > requite drivers (I assume PATA and or SATA) and filesystems (I assume
    > ext3 / reiser) complied in, NOT as modules. You could use the
    > default .config from your slackware installation. That saves a lot of
    > messing around with initrd. I assume that you could do that from the
    > other distro you already have installed on the system?

    Yes, I could have done, but now I can do that from Slackware itself. I
    had to realize that though I (more or less) knew what an initrd is for,
    I didn't make clear what that meant. Recompile the kernel making it
    smaller with no need for a ramdisk is a good choice.

    Btw. I could boot from the first installation disk, giving the
    parameters as written in the help text.

    Thanks a lot!

    erch

  11. Re: initrd.gz on slackware 12.1

    Erch wrote:

    > Yes, I could have done, but now I can do that from Slackware itself. I
    > had to realize that though I (more or less) knew what an initrd is for,
    > I didn't make clear what that meant. Recompile the kernel making it
    > smaller with no need for a ramdisk is a good choice.
    >
    > Btw. I could boot from the first installation disk, giving the
    > parameters as written in the help text.

    Good point. Actually most obvious answer and the one I forgot.

    > Thanks a lot!

    You mainly solved it yourself.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk