Changing screen resolution (slackware 12.1) - Slackware

This is a discussion on Changing screen resolution (slackware 12.1) - Slackware ; hello, I have a 16/9 19" sccreen. My system has sata hd and a relatively modern video/card integrated on the m/b. I installed slackware but KDE allowed only 1024x 768. Then with the xorg config programme I could change it ...

  1. Changing screen resolution (slackware 12.1)

    hello,

    I have a 16/9 19" sccreen. My system has sata hd and a relatively modern
    video/card integrated on the m/b.
    I installed slackware but KDE allowed only 1024x 768. Then with the xorg
    config programme I could change it and get 1280x1024.

    Xorg config created a new xorg.conf file where there are no resolution
    figures whatsoever!! How does the server work then? How it knows the
    resolutions since there is not any in the conf file?
    But it does allow even 1600x1200....Now my problem is that the screen is
    16/9 and I need sth like 1400 x900.or 1600x1050....
    How should I proceed?

    here the screen section:

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 1
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

  2. Re: Changing screen resolution (slackware 12.1)

    On 2008-10-17, =SERGE= wrote:

    > Xorg config created a new xorg.conf file where there are no resolution
    > figures whatsoever!! How does the server work then?

    Usually defaults to vesa.

    > How should I proceed?

    Run the xorgconfig script. It may take a few tries before you figure it
    out, but well worth the effort.

    > here the screen section:

    [...]

    The xorgconfig script allows you to pick cards, chips, set resolutions at
    diff depths, etc. It even has an auto detect function, though I've never
    trusted it. It will set all these settings via a question/prompt script.
    Then you can see how the different settings are entered and make edit from
    there.

    My own question for aols:

    Where is setting for a "virtual desktop" (which I despise)? I've always
    had to run that xorgconfig script to disable it cuz I don't see where the
    setting is in the final .conf file.

    nb

  3. Re: Changing screen resolution (slackware 12.1)

    notbob wrote:

    > Where is setting for a "virtual desktop" (which I despise)? I've
    > always had to run that xorgconfig script to disable it cuz I don't see
    > where the setting is in the final .conf file.

    By this, I believe you mean a situation where the "desktop" is larger
    than the screen resolution, and the user is able to pan around, to the
    larger desktop area.

    The xorg.conf(5) manpage states the following:

    DISPLAY SUBSECTION
    Virtual xdim ydim
    This optional entry specifies the virtual screen resolution
    to be used. ...

    ViewPort x0 y0
    This optional entry sets the upper left corner of the
    initial display. ...

    I hope that helps ...

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  4. Re: Changing screen resolution (slackware 12.1)

    On 2008-10-17, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

    > DISPLAY SUBSECTION
    > Virtual xdim ydim
    > This optional entry specifies the virtual screen resolution
    > to be used. ...
    >
    > ViewPort x0 y0
    > This optional entry sets the upper left corner of the
    > initial display. ...
    >
    > I hope that helps ...

    Yes, it does. Thank you, Sylvain.

    nb

  5. Re: Changing screen resolution (slackware 12.1)

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:06:40 +0400
    "=SERGE=" wrote:
    > I installed slackware but KDE allowed only 1024x 768. Then with the xorg
    > config programme I could change it and get 1280x1024.
    > ....Now my problem is that the screen is
    > 16/9 and I need sth like 1400 x900.or 1600x1050....
    > How should I proceed?

    Try something like this:

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    Modes "1600x1050" "1400x900" # This is an important line
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    If this doesn't work or doesn't work satisfactory, you may need to define ModeLine.

    --
    uckpeHHe,
    Muxau/\

  6. Re: Changing screen resolution (slackware 12.1)

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 23:29:54 +0400, Mikhail Zotov wrote:

    > Modes "1600x1050" "1400x900" # This is an important line

    It is important. So make sure that it reads "1680x1050" in the actual
    file.

+ Reply to Thread