Re: WTF is it with ubuntu? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Re: WTF is it with ubuntu? - Slackware ; #Followup-To: comp.os.linux.misc Sidney Lambe wrote: > Michael Black wrote: > >> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Dan Espen wrote: >> >>> notbob writes: >>> >>>> On 2008-10-16, Dan Espen >>>> wrote: >>>> >>>>> I suspected that there were instructions right ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 129

  1. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    Sidney Lambe wrote:
    > Michael Black wrote:

    >>> There's nothing that says you have to run KDE or Gnome.
    >>>
    >>> I don't like either of them and run a basic window manager.

    >> I only use a GUI when it's needed, living in the consoles the
    >> rest of the time. When I ran a 200MHz computer with 32megs, I'd
    >> start up KDE only when needed, and eventually switched to a
    >> slimmer window manager to make it start faster.
    >>
    >> But when I moved to this 1GHz computer, I just keep KDE running
    >> all the time, I don't notice the burden. But I still usually
    >> run from the consoles, moving to KDE when I need a graphic
    >> browser, or to do something that's actually graphical, like
    >> using GIMP or viewing photos.
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>

    > That's basically how I do things, although I don't run X unless
    > I need it, which is rarely. I do most of my browsing with links
    > (a textmode browser) and only use X for firefox and xpdf and
    > an image viewer.
    >
    > As for KidDiE, I have no use at all for it, ever. I don't need
    > training wheels to run Linux.
    >
    > You don't need to run KidDiE in order to run KidDiE applications.
    > All you need are the kdelibs.
    >
    > The idea of runing KidDiE all the time just to run an image
    > viewer or graphical browser or the gimp, none of which require
    > KidDiE, or its libs, is just stupid. What an incredible waste of
    > system resources.
    >
    > In fact, I think you are lying. I think you use KidDiE all the
    > time.
    >

    > Sid

    This fellow reminds of all the people I know who claim that they
    only have a TV to watch PBS and the like.

    In every case, I have discovered that they are lying their heads
    off. They watch sports and sitcoms and game shows and soap operas
    and cheap action movies....They almost never watch PBS and the like.

    People who are interested in educating themselves do not use the
    TV to do it.

    People who run Linux from the console or an xterm, rather than
    letting KidDiE do it for them, do not install KidDiE, much less
    let it run all the time.

    For the newbies: You don't have to run KidDiE to have a GUI.
    KidDiE is just a collection of X applications. All you need to
    run Linux from the GUI is an X server and a window manager and an
    x-terminal-emulator.

    You can run any X application you want. They open in their own
    windows.

    Just enter "firefox &" or "gimp &", etc., on the commandline and it
    happens. Hardly rocket science.

    (the "&" puts the application in the background, freeing up the
    command prompt.)

    Sid

  2. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:47:04 -0700, Sidney Lambe sprout:

    > You can run any X application you want. They open in their own windows.

    and that idea was mad enough to turn you in to believe that
    what you were thinking was certainly true as you just happened to
    beliveve you thought about the idea that you were thinking?
    Curiously enough I can run most "X application you want" without
    a window(s), would it be their "own" or not, could it be I'm
    just using O.D.E. without a warning?

    > Just enter "firefox &" or "gimp &",

    Who are those new actors? The initial play just mentionned here
    "enter Iago", etc. (sic)

    > etc., on the commandline and it happens.

    that's what you get drilling your wally and not listening to
    your mommy, now you're all wet and dizzy and apparently sorry...->

    > Hardly rocket science.

    certainly not or it'd explain a lot about some previous
    possible ubuntah, like Challenger eagle spread or
    more recently, florifagatorv(end|ot]ing machines ;-)
    (agreed, in my own country it seems too many don't even
    need those machines to shoot-foot-no-mercy)

  3. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    Loki Harfagr wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:47:04 -0700, Sidney Lambe sprout:
    >
    >> You can run any X application you want. They open in their own windows.

    > and that idea was mad enough to turn you in to believe that
    > what you were thinking was certainly true as you just happened to
    > beliveve you thought about the idea that you were thinking?
    > Curiously enough I can run most "X application you want" without
    > a window(s), would it be their "own" or not, could it be I'm
    > just using O.D.E. without a warning?

    KidDiE addicts get so worked up when anyone criticizes their
    colorful training wheels for Linux that they lose their minds.

    This fellow is a regular on alt.os.linux.slackware, where they
    all think they are gurus.

    But they aren't very bright: Linux gurus run Linux themselves,
    they don't let KidDiE do it for them.

    Oh, there are some real gurus there, but they don't attack anyone
    who criticizes Slackware for selling out to KidDiE.

    Ask them about Patrick Volkerding's (the owner and maintainer and
    founder of Slackware Inc.) paid vacations around the world, compliments
    of the korporations behind KidDiE.

    Here's one of them:

    http://troy-at-kde.livejournal.com/14690.html

    Slackware is an excellent distro if you leave off the KidDiE.

    But most of the folks at alt.os.linux.slackware are serious
    assholes.

    They are actually an embaressment to Slackware:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...2e7ccf56a9b3dc

    [delete]

    Sid

  4. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:38:54 -0700, Sidney Lambe wrote:

    > But most of the folks at alt.os.linux.slackware are serious
    > assholes.

    And this poster right here is the biggest (and dumbest) asshole on Usenet.
    For those of you who may not know, "Sidney Lambe" is just the latest
    nymshift of the dip**** formerly known as "Alan Connor". You may have
    also read his drivel in recent months when he posted from the name "Tom
    Newton".

    He's a true ****ing whacko, and the lowest scum on the internet. It's
    best to just ignore the nutcase, and he'll wander off into the woods
    again, searching for Sasquatch (until the mean bastards in the white coats
    pick him up again).

    Read more about him at the link in my sig.

    --
    "Sidney Lambe" ("Tom Newton") - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

  5. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 19:39:46 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:38:54 -0700, Sidney Lambe wrote:
    >
    >> But most of the folks at alt.os.linux.slackware are serious assholes.

    > And this poster right here is the biggest (and dumbest) asshole on
    > Usenet. For those of you who may not know, "Sidney Lambe" is just the
    > latest nymshift of the dip**** formerly known as "Alan Connor". You may
    > have also read his drivel in recent months when he posted from the name
    > "Tom Newton".

    You know how garlic is supposed to repel vampires? It appears that in
    this case, KDE is the stuff to use.

  6. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    Sidney Lambe writes:

    > But they aren't very bright: Linux gurus run Linux themselves,
    > they don't let KidDiE do it for them.

    Why don't you take yourself a set of magnets and go manipulating your
    hard drive without controller, cpu, or such modern stuff for lazy
    non-gurus.

    mfg

    Eric

  7. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    Hallo, Eric,

    Du meintest am 17.10.08:

    > Sidney Lambe writes:

    [...]

    > Why don't you take yourself a set of magnets and go manipulating your
    > hard drive without controller, cpu, or such modern stuff for lazy
    > non-gurus.

    Sidney is a troll - why do you feed it?

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  8. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On 2008-10-17, Mark Madsen wrote:

    > You know how garlic is supposed to repel vampires? It appears that in
    > this case, KDE is the stuff to use.

    heh heh.....

    Unfortunately, looks like kde is doing everything possible to repel
    slackers. I've used kde 4 and it's bloated beyond belief, useless graphics
    for graphics sake. Time to dust off my ol' fluxbox files.

    nb

  9. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    Sidney Lambe wrote:

    Eric =?utf-8?Q?B=C3=B6se-Wolf?=

    Googlegroups returned zero hits for that "name".

    Which means it can't deal with the characters or it's
    a brand new name that's never been used before.

    Either way, I'm not reading any posts from it, or any
    replies to those posts unto the nth generation, and
    will be deleting said posts from local news cache.

    Whoever you are, you can find someone else to talk to.

    That's not a suggestion or a request, it is a fact.

    If you don't like what I have to say, you have the
    option of sitting on it and rotating.

    [delete]

    Sid

  10. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    * Sidney Lambe wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware on 2008-10-17:
    > Sidney Lambe wrote:

    > Eric =?utf-8?Q?B=C3=B6se-Wolf?=

    Update your copy of slrn.

    [delete]

    --
    David | Fight Back!
    This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an

  11. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    Sidney Lambe wrote:
    > Sidney Lambe wrote:
    >
    > Eric =?utf-8?Q?B=C3=B6se-Wolf?=
    >
    > Googlegroups returned zero hits for that "name".
    >
    > Which means it can't deal with the characters or it's
    > a brand new name that's never been used before.
    >
    > Either way, I'm not reading any posts from it, or any
    > replies to those posts unto the nth generation, and
    > will be deleting said posts from local news cache.
    >
    > Whoever you are, you can find someone else to talk to.
    >
    > That's not a suggestion or a request, it is a fact.
    >
    > If you don't like what I have to say, you have the
    > option of sitting on it and rotating.
    >

    > [delete]
    >
    > Sid

    "SINNER"???

    ROTFL.

    Anyone using a name like that is a stupid punk who
    goes straight into my killfile.

    I don't know what you posted "SINNER", but I know that
    it was ****.

    Sid

  12. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:19:29 -0700
    Sidney Lambe wrote:

    > "SINNER"???

    You people know the only way to communicate with AC is by putting
    stuff in the headers. Gosh, I hope he doesn't call me a punk or talk
    about my mommy's computer.

  13. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    * Alan Conner, erm Tom Newton, I mean Sid the Sheep wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware on 2008-10-17:

    So now you read bytes by Osmosis? How is it you decide when its OK to
    read someone's post Alan? Sometimes you read mine, sometimes you dont,
    oh, wait, thats right, you have a nymshifiting killfile that takes a
    play out of your book. Liar.

    [repeated in headers]
    --
    David | Fight Back!
    I'd never join any club that would have the likes of me as a member.

  14. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:38:51 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:

    >> And this poster right here is the biggest (and dumbest) asshole on
    >> Usenet. For those of you who may not know, "Sidney Lambe" is just the
    >> latest nymshift of the dip**** formerly known as "Alan Connor". You may
    >> have also read his drivel in recent months when he posted from the name
    >> "Tom Newton".

    > You know how garlic is supposed to repel vampires? It appears that in
    > this case, KDE is the stuff to use.

    Yes indeed. Pity that I'm an Xfce guy.

  15. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On 2008-10-18, Dan C wrote:

    > Yes indeed. Pity that I'm an Xfce guy.

    I was, but even xfce seems to be unable to leave well enough alone. Change
    the menu, change the icons, change the function locations, etc. If a new
    function/feature has been introduced, go for it. But, change for the mere
    sake of change is a waste of time and resources. Sorry, but I think it
    counter-productive to have to re-learn what I already know every rev period.
    Sad, cuz I liked xfce. When PV goes to kde4, I'm going fluxbox. :\

    nb

  16. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 01:13:40 +0000, notbob wrote:

    > On 2008-10-18, Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> Yes indeed. Pity that I'm an Xfce guy.

    I thought you were a Gnome?

    > I was, but even xfce seems to be unable to leave well enough alone.
    > Change the menu, change the icons, change the function locations, etc.
    > If a new function/feature has been introduced, go for it. But, change
    > for the mere sake of change is a waste of time and resources. Sorry,
    > but I think it counter-productive to have to re-learn what I already
    > know every rev period. Sad, cuz I liked xfce. When PV goes to kde4, I'm
    > going fluxbox. :\

    I'm running LXDE on this machine, and it has a lot of the comfort of
    Gnome/KDE/Xfce (note I say a lot, not all) but the responsiveness of
    fluxbox, and less of a need to spend time configuring it to make it
    comfortable.

  17. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 10:20:10 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:

    >>> Yes indeed. Pity that I'm an Xfce guy.

    > I thought you were a Gnome?

    Used to be. Got tired of ****ing with the various broken third-party
    Gnomes after it was dropped from stock Slackware. I'm quite happy with
    it, and don't see going back to anything else.

    > I'm running LXDE on this machine, and it has a lot of the comfort of
    > Gnome/KDE/Xfce (note I say a lot, not all) but the responsiveness of
    > fluxbox, and less of a need to spend time configuring it to make it
    > comfortable.

    Haven't heard of that. Might be worth a look...

  18. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 11:41:04 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    >> I thought you were a Gnome?

    > Used to be. Got tired of ****ing with the various broken third-party
    > Gnomes after it was dropped from stock Slackware. I'm quite happy with
    > it, and don't see going back to anything else.

    I haven't tried Gnome on Slack so far. It always seemed like too much
    effort. And overhead.

    >> I'm running LXDE on this machine, and it has a lot of the comfort of
    >> Gnome/KDE/Xfce (note I say a lot, not all) but the responsiveness of
    >> fluxbox, and less of a need to spend time configuring it to make it
    >> comfortable.

    > Haven't heard of that. Might be worth a look...

    http://lxde.org/ will tell you everything you need to know. There is
    even a liveCD/liveUSB distro (PUD) that lets you see it in action.

    To quote from the LXDE wiki:

    LXDE Components

    + PCManFM, is a fast and lightweight file manager with features like
    Drag & Drop support, tabbed browsing (Similiar to Firefox), Built-in file
    searching utility, fast load of large directories, File association
    support (Default application), Thumbnail for image files, Bookmarks
    support, correct handling of non-UTF-8 encoded filenames and more
    + LXLauncher, easy-mode application launcher
    + LXPanel, desktop panel, The panel can generate menu for installed
    applications automatically from +.desktop files. It can be configured
    from GUI preference dialog, and there is no need to edit config files.
    The component provides a "Run" dialog with autocompletion.
    + LXSession, session manager, The LXSession manager is used to
    automatically start a set of applications and set up a working desktop
    environment. Moreover, the session manager is able to remembers the
    applications in use when a user logs out and to restart them the next
    time the user logs in.
    + LXAppearance, theme switcher. You can change the theme, icons, and
    fonts used by applications easily.
    + Leafpad, text editor
    + Xarchiver, archiving
    + GPicView, image viewer, GPicView features lightening fast startup
    and intuitive interface.
    + LXTerminal, terminal emulator
    + LXTask, task manager / system monitor
    + LXNM, lightweight network connection helper daemon for LXDE
    supporting wireless connections (Linux-only)
    + Openbox, window manager
    + LXRandr, screen manager, manages screen resolution and external
    monitors

  19. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> trolled:
    > * Sidney Lambe wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware on 2008-10-17:
    >> Sidney Lambe wrote:

    >> Eric =?utf-8?Q?B=C3=B6se-Wolf?=

    > Update your copy of slrn.

    Better yet, throw the damned thing away. slrn is a Model T and
    you wouldn't drive a Model T to work every day, would you?

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  20. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, rm@big.justlinux.ca wrote:

    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> trolled:
    >> * Sidney Lambe wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware on 2008-10-17:
    >>> Sidney Lambe wrote:

    >>> Eric =?utf-8?Q?B=C3=B6se-Wolf?=

    >> Update your copy of slrn.

    > Better yet, throw the damned thing away. slrn is a Model T and
    > you wouldn't drive a Model T to work every day, would you?

    You should check out "Linux Journal" from a few months ago. They
    had an article on Mutt.

    An 8gig "solid state drive" can go a long way if you stuff it
    with text only programs.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast