Re: WTF is it with ubuntu? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Re: WTF is it with ubuntu? - Slackware ; Sidney Lambe wrote: > As a user interface, bash is quite superior to both kde and > gnome. I use it. I can do anything that anyone running either of > those bloated monstrosities can do. Using a tiny fraction ...

  1. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    Sidney Lambe wrote:

    > As a user interface, bash is quite superior to both kde and
    > gnome. I use it. I can do anything that anyone running either of
    > those bloated monstrosities can do. Using a tiny fraction of the
    > system resources.

    Well I refuse to use it until it comes out in reverse polish.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  2. Re: Slackware and KDE (was: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?)

    Sidney Lambe writes:

    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.misc.]
    > Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
    >> Sidney Lambe wrote:
    >>
    >> I didn't write any of this for your sake, but rather for the sake of
    >> others who might be new enough to Linux to wonder whether there is even
    >> a shred of truth to what you've written. There isn't, and I'm simply
    >> trying to clarify that. The sooner you go away and find a new pet-peeve,
    >> and a new "name" to champion it, the sooner we can all get on with our
    >> own sorry lives ...

    > Good grief!

    >> Sylvain Robitaille syl@alcor.concordia.ca
    >>
    >> Network and Systems analyst Concordia University
    >> Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada

    > There you have it. The technocrat playing games with words to protect
    > his power.
    >
    > Can't have people actually learning Linux or he wouldn't be able to
    > play god on the slackware forums.
    >
    > That's how technocrats operate: They work to keep others ignorant
    > and dependent.

    ROTFLMAO!

    Sid, are you aware that Sylvain maintains the aols FAQ precisely so that
    others can be less ignorant, and that he makes lots of good solid
    technical contributions to this group, rather than the conspiracy-theory
    rants which seem to be your speciality.

    How about trying to answer a few newcomers who need help?

    You use bash? Good for you. Why not post a script you have found useful?
    You might find some here could help you improve it. You might help
    someone to see that bash IS just as good as or better than KDE.

    What will persuade people here is code and/or technical discussion, not
    opinion-pieces from the locked ward.

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  3. Re: Slackware and KDE (was: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?)

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 05:08:49 +0000, someone posting as Sylvain Robitaille
    purportedly wrote:

    > I've examined KDE as a working "environment", and mostly I find it
    > rather uninvasive, which is good. I make a point to replace the
    > console/terminal-emulator app with good-old Xterm, though, because I
    > don't particularly care for Konsole.

    Could you elaborate a bit on that?

    --
    if it was easy, everyone would do it

  4. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    Robby Workman writes:

    > NOTE: I sincerely apologize to everyone suffering through this thread,
    > but on the off chance that some new user is reading Sid's worthless
    > drivel and not realizing that he's so full of **** his eyes are brown,
    > I feel obliged to set the record straight.

    WRONG!

    The ONLY way that works with Allan is the killfile.
    What you say to him has no effect.
    Those of us that have been around since the Allan Connor days
    know that.

  5. Re: Slackware and KDE (was: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?)

    wordsmith wrote:

    >> I make a point to replace the console/terminal-emulator app with
    >> good-old Xterm, though, because I don't particularly care for
    >> Konsole.

    > Could you elaborate a bit on that?

    Why I don't like Konsole? Probably the things I don't like are all
    configurable (default font, font-size, layout, menu, etc.), but the fact
    is that what I want is a terminal emulator that is as simple as Xterm,
    so rather than spend time figuring out how to make Konsole behave (and
    look) like Xterm, it seems a much better use of my time to use Xterm
    instead, and get on with whatever it is I'm intending to do.

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  6. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On 2008-10-22, Dan Espen wrote:
    > Robby Workman writes:
    >
    >> NOTE: I sincerely apologize to everyone suffering through this thread,
    >> but on the off chance that some new user is reading Sid's worthless
    >> drivel and not realizing that he's so full of **** his eyes are brown,
    >> I feel obliged to set the record straight.

    > WRONG!
    >
    > The ONLY way that works with Allan is the killfile.
    > What you say to him has no effect.
    > Those of us that have been around since the Allan Connor days
    > know that.

    I'm not doing it for Alan; I couldn't care less whether he
    reads it or not (even though I know he does). This is for
    everyone who might be misled by him.

    -RW

  7. Re: Slackware and KDE

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:33:25 -0700
    Alan Connor wrote:

    > And I can do anything that anyone can do with kde.

    Congratulations. It's a pity that the mere thought of people doing it
    with KDE instead infuriates you to the point where you can't think; it
    must slow you down terribly when you're trying to write shell scripts.

    > It takes longer to learn how to use kde than it does to learn
    > how to run Linux using the shell; the command line.

    How long did it take you to learn KDE?

  8. Re: Slackware and KDE (was: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?)

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 05:15:30 +0000, Sylvain Robitaille boot:

    > notbob wrote:
    >
    >> The default for startx has to be something. It's kde.

    > Actually, it's configurable, both at install-time and afterwards. Users
    > logging in can even select a different window-manager/environment at
    > login time.
    >
    > "Sidney" has no idea whatsoever what "he" is talking about. "he" is
    > making false claims, likely in an attempt to create interest in "Tom's"
    > "ODE" methane-ware.

    Well, he certainly has a lot of spare wood then, still, knowing he
    drinks methanol may explain a lot about the content (sic) of his posts ;->

  9. Re: Slackware and KDE (was: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?)

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 05:18:42 +0000, Sylvain Robitaille sprout:

    > Robby Workman wrote:
    >
    >> liberty $ echo $SHELL
    >> /bin/ksh

    > After all you've done for the community, don't you think you can lay off
    > the self-punishment??? ;-)

    seconded! or at least Robby, if you really insist you deserve such a
    lot of self-punishment don't dilly-dally, play real game where the
    game and the hunter have equal chances to claw their foot and set your
    shell to be csh ;-)

  10. Re: Slackware and KDE (was: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?)

    Loki Harfagr wrote:

    >> ... an attempt to create interest in "Tom's" "ODE" methane-ware.

    > Well, he certainly has a lot of spare wood then, still, knowing he
    > drinks methanol may explain a lot about the content (sic) of his posts
    > ;->

    Hrmmm, the way I meant it was "spews methane" rather than "drinks
    methanol" ...

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  11. Re: ksh (was: Slackware and KDE)

    Robby Workman wrote:
    > liberty $ echo $SHELL
    > /bin/ksh

    whatwhat?

    ls -l /bin/ksh
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 977876 2007-04-15 16:32 /bin/ksh

    OMG, when did that get in there? I swear it wasn't in Slack before...
    package browser only goes back to 8.1, but it's in there.

    I seem to remember being bummed that there was only pdksh and it
    wouldn't run all my scripts from the HPUX boxen at school; or something
    like that. Faint memory. I guess I hadn't bothered to look since then.

    -Beej

  12. Re: Slackware and KDE (was: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?)

    On 2008-10-22, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
    > Loki Harfagr wrote:
    >
    >>> ... an attempt to create interest in "Tom's" "ODE" methane-ware.

    >> Well, he certainly has a lot of spare wood then, still, knowing he
    >> drinks methanol may explain a lot about the content (sic) of his posts
    >> ;->

    > Hrmmm, the way I meant it was "spews methane" rather than "drinks
    > methanol" ...

    I think either intent is accurate enough :-)

    -RW

  13. Re: Slackware and KDE (was: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?)

    Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
    >like Xterm, it seems a much better use of my time to use Xterm instead,
    >and get on with whatever it is I'm intending to do.

    I'm running xfce's Terminal, and it has a couple features I really like,
    and I don't think xterm has them (or does it? I would love to run
    xterm again).

    1. Anti-aliased fonts
    2. hyperlink detection

    Terminal is much better at Unicode than it was, but it's still not quite
    right, though.

    -Beej

  14. Re: Slackware and KDE (was: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?)

    On 2008-10-22, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

    > so rather than spend time figuring out how to make Konsole behave (and
    > look) like Xterm.....

    What!? Like Kate Moss in a snow storm?

    Geez, could an xterm look any more anemic and be as hard to view?

    nb

  15. Re: Slackware and KDE (was: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?)

    notbob wrote:

    > Geez, could an xterm look any more anemic and be as hard to view?

    I don't know, "xterm -bg #000000 -fg #d3d3d3" looks fine on my systems.

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  16. Slackware Sells Out To KDE/Gnome (was: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?)

    Robby Workman wrote:
    > NOTE: I sincerely apologize to everyone suffering through this thread,
    > but on the off chance that some new user is reading Sid's worthless
    > drivel and not realizing that he's so full of **** his eyes are brown,
    > I feel obliged to set the record straight.

    You feel obliged to attack anyone who points out the fact that
    slackware has sold out to the corporations backing kde (and to a
    lesser extent, gnome), who want to destroy linux by turning it
    into a windows clone. They throw these big parties disguised as
    'business seminars' and wine and dine the leaders of slackware
    and now you aren't the 'hacker distro' anymore, but just another
    sellout distro turning out ignorant appliance operators rather
    than people who really understand linux.

    http://fixunix.com/slackware/336517-...ends-kde-4-0-r

    That's one of about a thousand hits that this search string turned up:

    "patrick volkerding" kde conference OR seminar

    (He's the leader and founder and owner of slackware incorporated)

    Slackware does not just "come" with kde on it. It is a part of
    its default install and is heavily pushed by all the main people
    at Slackware.

    kde site:slackware.com

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...kware.com&btnG

    217 hits

    On ONE effing website that offers a computer operating system with
    over a thousand applications on it, not counting kde.

    Sylvain Robitaille and you and the other lying bullies on aols keep
    denying this, but let's take a look at the system initialization
    script for runlevel 4 on slackware 12.0:

    /etc/rc.d/rc.4

    #l rc.4
    #! /bin/sh
    #
    # rc.4 This file is executed by init(8) when the system is being
    # initialized for run level 4 (XDM)
    #
    # Version: @(#)/etc/rc.d/rc.4 2.00 02/17/93
    #
    # Author: Fred N. van Kempen,
    # At least 47% rewritten by: Patrick J. Volkerding
    #

    # Tell the viewers what's going to happen...
    echo "Starting up X11 session manager..."

    # Try to use GNOME's gdm session manager. This comes first because if
    # gdm is on the machine then the user probably installed it and wants
    # to use it by default:
    if [ -x /usr/bin/gdm ]; then
    exec /usr/bin/gdm -nodaemon
    fi

    # Someone thought that gdm looked prettier in /usr/sbin,
    # so look there, too:
    if [ -x /usr/sbin/gdm ]; then
    exec /usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon
    fi

    # Not there? OK, try to use KDE's kdm session manager:
    if [ -x /opt/kde/bin/kdm ]; then
    exec /opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon
    elif [ -x /usr/bin/kdm ]; then
    exec /usr/bin/kdm -nodaemon
    fi

    # If all you have is XDM, I guess it will have to do:
    if [ -x /usr/bin/xdm ]; then
    exec /usr/bin/xdm -nodaemon
    elif [ -x /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm ]; then
    exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon
    fi

    # error
    echo
    echo "Hey, you don't have KDM, GDM, or XDM. Can't use runlevel 4 without"
    echo "one of those installed."
    sleep 30

    # All done.

    First it looks for gnome, which is a bit weird. But right on
    track because it's basically the same thing as kde. Many of the
    corporations behind kde also back gnome, because they may be
    competitors but they both want you using a graphical desktop
    environment rather than running linux directly.

    Then the script looks for kde. And if it doesn't find it it
    actually bitches that all you have is xdm installed.

    I run X here and don't use xdm, so obviously not even it is
    necessary. What you are seeing here is a special runlevel
    devoted to graphical desktop environments.

    And this is run whenever a newbie boots up slackware.

    Yet these liars have posted here many times that graphical desktop
    enviroments are _optional_ on slackware.'

    No newbie is going to mess with the system initialization scripts.

    And since kde installs by default, that's what they are going
    to find themselves faced with.

    Duh.

    And that's what I'm talking about: How the newbies are treated,
    not what the pros can do.

    [delete]

    Sid

    --
    contact: http://tinyurl.com/5jxzoj
    googlegroups users see:

  17. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    Dan Espen wrote:
    > Robby Workman writes:
    >
    >> NOTE: I sincerely apologize to everyone suffering through this thread,
    >> but on the off chance that some new user is reading Sid's worthless
    >> drivel and not realizing that he's so full of **** his eyes are brown,
    >> I feel obliged to set the record straight.

    > WRONG!
    >
    > The ONLY way that works with Allan is the killfile.
    > What you say to him has no effect.
    > Those of us that have been around since the Allan Connor days
    > know that.

    So. You couldn't push this Allan Connor fellow around either.

    Too bad he's not around. Anyone who has a bunch of assholes like
    you for enemies has got to have something going for him.

    Let's make it clear what's going on here: I have criticized slackware
    for selling out to kde. Instead of debating me, they attack my
    character and for reasons known only to them and their therapists
    think that calling me Allan Connor will devastate me.

    What a bunch of punks.

    Sid

    --
    contact: http://tinyurl.com/5jxzoj
    googlegroups users see:
    http://tinyurl.com/5mbs7c

  18. Re: Slackware and KDE (was: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?)

    On 2008-10-22, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

    > I don't know, "xterm -bg #000000 -fg #d3d3d3" looks fine on my systems.

    Hmmmm... Doesn't work at all on mine:

    $xterm -bg #000000 -fg #d3d3d3
    xterm: bad command line option "-bg"

    usage:[blah blah...]

    nb

  19. Re: ksh (was: Slackware and KDE)

    On 2008-10-22, Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    > Robby Workman wrote:
    >> liberty $ echo $SHELL
    >> /bin/ksh

    > whatwhat?

    > ls -l /bin/ksh
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 977876 2007-04-15 16:32 /bin/ksh
    >
    > OMG, when did that get in there? I swear it wasn't in Slack before...
    > package browser only goes back to 8.1, but it's in there.
    >
    > I seem to remember being bummed that there was only pdksh and it
    > wouldn't run all my scripts from the HPUX boxen at school; or something
    > like that. Faint memory. I guess I hadn't bothered to look since then.

    I don't recall when, but pdksh was in Slackware at some point, and
    then Pat put in the real Korn shell. As for the rationale/motivation
    behind the change, I don't know.

    -RW

  20. Re: Slackware and KDE (was: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?)

    On 2008-10-22, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
    > Robby Workman wrote:
    >
    >> liberty $ echo $SHELL
    >> /bin/ksh

    > After all you've done for the community, don't you think you can lay off
    > the self-punishment??? ;-)

    haha! :-)

    Well, I actually like it. There are a few nits here and there that
    I run across, but for the most part, I don't need/use any of the more
    advanced bash features.

    Originally, the only reason I even bothered with ksh was because I'd
    been using OpenBSD a bit, and their implementation of pdksh is quite
    nice, so I decided to make Slackware's ksh act the same way. It took
    a bit of time and some custom invocation stuff, but I think I've got
    it for the most part.

    -RW