Re: WTF is it with ubuntu? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Re: WTF is it with ubuntu? - Slackware ; On 2008-10-20, wrote: > SINNER trolled: >> * Sidney Lambe wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware on 2008-10-17: >>> Sidney Lambe wrote: >> >>> Eric =?utf-8?Q?B=C3=B6se-Wolf?= >> >> Update your copy of slrn. > > Better yet, throw the damned thing away. slrn ...

  1. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On 2008-10-20, wrote:
    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> trolled:
    >> * Sidney Lambe wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware on 2008-10-17:
    >>> Sidney Lambe wrote:

    >>> Eric =?utf-8?Q?B=C3=B6se-Wolf?=

    >> Update your copy of slrn.

    > Better yet, throw the damned thing away. slrn is a Model T and
    > you wouldn't drive a Model T to work every day, would you?
    >
    > cordially, as always,
    >
    > rm

    Again, another bad analogy.

    ken

  2. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    Sidney Lambe wrote:
    > Sidney Lambe wrote:
    >
    > Eric =?utf-8?Q?B=C3=B6se-Wolf?=
    >
    > Googlegroups returned zero hits for that "name".
    >
    > Which means it can't deal with the characters or it's
    > a brand new name that's never been used before.
    >
    > Either way, I'm not reading any posts from it, or any
    > replies to those posts unto the nth generation, and
    > will be deleting said posts from local news cache.
    >
    > Whoever you are, you can find someone else to talk to.
    >
    > That's not a suggestion or a request, it is a fact.
    >
    > If you don't like what I have to say, you have the
    > option of sitting on it and rotating.
    >

    > [delete]
    >
    > Sid

    My killfile grows fat and happy. Keep 'em coming,
    dimwits. It helps insure that I won't run into
    your crap on other groups.

    No, I don't have to read your crap to know you for
    the usenet vermin you are. I just put out the trollbait
    and only trolls take it.

    Like the dumb losers they all are.

    Sid

    --
    contact: http://tinyurl.com/5jxzoj

  3. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    writes:

    > Subject: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?
    > Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> trolled:
    >> * Sidney Lambe wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware on 2008-10-17:
    >>> Sidney Lambe wrote:

    >>> Eric =?utf-8?Q?B=C3=B6se-Wolf?=

    >> Update your copy of slrn.

    > Better yet, throw the damned thing away. slrn is a Model T and
    > you wouldn't drive a Model T to work every day, would you?

    From a tin user, that is hilarious!

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  4. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 22:11:45 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:

    > http://lxde.org/ will tell you everything you need to know. There is
    > even a liveCD/liveUSB distro (PUD) that lets you see it in action.

    Just to add to that, I noticed from Distrwatch Weekly today that the
    latest Parted Magic (3.1) uses LXDE.

  5. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:38:19 -0700, someone posting as Sidney Lambe
    purportedly wrote:

    Not much. Weren't you the one claiming to be outta here last week?
    Please, don't let anyone detain you.

    --
    Poking dumbasses in the forehead, one dumbass at a time.

  6. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    * wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:

    > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> trolled:
    >> * Sidney Lambe wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware on 2008-10-17:
    >>> Sidney Lambe wrote:

    >>> Eric =?utf-8?Q?B=C3=B6se-Wolf?=

    >> Update your copy of slrn.

    > Better yet, throw the damned thing away. slrn is a Model T and
    > you wouldn't drive a Model T to work every day, would you?

    Says the guy using a 2 year old version of tin.

    --
    David

  7. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:26:41 GMT
    SINNER wrote:

    > * wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:
    >
    > > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> trolled:

    > >> Update your copy of slrn.

    > > Better yet, throw the damned thing away. slrn is a Model T and
    > > you wouldn't drive a Model T to work every day, would you?

    > Says the guy using a 2 year old version of tin.

    Who knows what he drives to work, but he takes the Model A on fishing
    trips.

  8. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    --
    Res

  9. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On 2008-10-20, SINNER wrote:

    > Says the guy using a 2 year old version of tin.

    What is is with you and old apps? While I'll be the 1st to admit some
    things can be improved by ugrading, I see no point in upgrading simply for
    the sake of being current. It's M$'s credo, much to the detriment of their
    current OS, Vista, now an overbloated piece of crap that nobody wants.

    I've tried dozens of irc and nntp clients going clear back to free mirc and
    phirch and netscape 4.7x. I settled on slrn/jed for nntp, not because it's
    new or old, cool, hip or retro, but because it suits my needs. It's simple,
    relaible, and easy to use, mostly easy to read. All this crap about "it's
    four years old" is nonsense. It works and works well. Better, in fact,
    than some of the newer apps which have more whistles and bells than Willie
    Wonka's bubble machine. I don't need no stinkin' GNKSA badges to know what
    works for me and will choose accordingly.

    nb

  10. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    * notbob wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:

    > On 2008-10-20, SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> Says the guy using a 2 year old version of tin.

    > What is is with you and old apps?

    Try paying attention, you might learn something.

    > While I'll be the 1st to admit some
    > things can be improved by ugrading, I see no point in upgrading simply
    > for the sake of being current. It's M$'s credo, much to the detriment
    > of their current OS, Vista, now an overbloated piece of crap that
    > nobody wants.

    The user (and I use that term very lightly when refering to Alan Connor)
    commented on something that is FIXED in the current release, which you
    would know if you paid attention.

    He sees:

    Eric =?utf-8?Q?B=C3=B6se-Wolf?=
    as the Name in Message-ID: <48f897fa@news.uni-ulm.de>
    You dont?

    > I've tried dozens of irc and nntp clients going clear back to free
    > mirc and phirch and netscape 4.7x. I settled on slrn/jed for nntp,
    > not because it's new or old, cool, hip or retro, but because it suits
    > my needs. It's simple, relaible, and easy to use, mostly easy to
    > read. All this crap about "it's four years old" is nonsense.

    OK, how about its four years old AND BROKEN, is that incentive enough to
    update?

    > It
    > works and works well.

    It works, but its still broken.

    > Better, in fact, than some of the newer apps
    > which have more whistles and bells than Willie Wonka's bubble machine.

    Irrelevant in the context of this discussion.

    > I don't need no stinkin' GNKSA badges to know what works for me and
    > will choose accordingly.

    Who said anything about GNKSA?

    --
    David

  11. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On 2008-10-21, SINNER wrote:

    > Try paying attention, you might learn something.

    It's become apparent to me you're going to continue to bad-mouth, belittle,
    and berate anyone you disagree with, the subject or tone of discussion be
    damned. So be it. Life is to short. Ta-ta, little man.

    nb

  12. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:28:01 +0000, SINNER wrote:

    >> What is is with you and old apps?

    > Try paying attention, you might learn something.

    Bugger off, Win-droid.

  13. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On 2008-10-21, Dan C wrote:

    > Bugger off, Win-droid.

    heh heh... I didn't even notice.

    nb

  14. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    * Dan C wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:

    > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:28:01 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    >
    >>> What is is with you and old apps?

    >> Try paying attention, you might learn something.

    > Bugger off, Win-droid.

    Now now Dan, you know better.

    --
    David

  15. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    * notbob wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:

    > On 2008-10-21, Dan C wrote:

    >> Bugger off, Win-droid.

    > heh heh... I didn't even notice.

    Figures.

    --
    David

  16. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    * notbob wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:

    > On 2008-10-21, SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> Try paying attention, you might learn something.

    > It's become apparent to me you're going to continue to bad-mouth,
    > belittle, and berate anyone you disagree with, the subject or tone of
    > discussion be damned. So be it. Life is to short. Ta-ta, little
    > man.
    >
    > nb

    That is rich! PKB! BTW, havent you alreaedy used that line on me? I didnt
    berate you, you are thick and require being told the same thing multiple
    times and then refuse to understand. Your version of slrn is broken, that
    fact that you fail to realize it it becasue of your own blinders and your
    desire to be right as has been displayed by your recenet behavior, ie
    trolling Ubuntu users.

    --
    David

  17. Slackware and KDE (was: Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?)

    Peter Chant wrote:
    > Sidney Lambe wrote:

    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy_(bureaucratic)
    >>>
    >>> Can't really see what is all that terrible...

    >> That's an extreme tangent, and given your 466 posts on
    >> alt.os.linux.slackware, an attempt to change the subject
    >> is perfectly understandable:
    >>

    > In what way is that a tangent, let alone an extreme one? If you are
    > describing the KDE organization as technocrats then you need to explain
    > what is bad about that.

    Okay. I'll take it really slow here and spell it out for you:

    A discussion about semantics, about the meaning of the word "technocrat",
    is a very different thing than a discussion about the Linux operating
    system and where it's headed.

    Trust me. They aren't the same thing at all.

    Of course, you actually know that, and are simply trying to change the
    subject.

    Not going to work. If you want to discuss the word "technocrat", then
    start your own thread. I'm not interested.

    Slackware has always prided itself on being the most streamlined and
    efficient of the Linux distros. The one that is most like the original
    unix operating system that Linux is basically a clone of. The hacker's
    distro.

    Then kde came along and started wining and dining Patrick Volkerding
    (founder, maintainer, and owner of Slackware) and his cronies, giving
    them paid, expensive vacations disguised as "seminars", which is a
    standard, quasi-legal corporate tactic they use to bribe people.

    http://fixunix.com/slackware/336517-...ends-kde-4-0-r

    That's one of about a thousand hits that this search string turned up:

    "patrick volkerding" kde conference OR seminar

    I'm sure that kde and the corporations behind it, the ones who have
    funneled 10's of millions of dollars into it, have also made sure that
    other monies have found their way into the Slackware org's coffers.
    There are a thousand ways to do that and the big corporations know
    them all. Lines of credit from seemingly unrelated banks and such
    are a favorite...

    Now, Slackware is just another sellout Linux distro, trying to be
    like Windows and Mac in order to please its corporate masters with
    their deep pockets and lush parties disguised as "seminars" and
    "conferences".

    The whole idea behind kde and similar "desktop environments", DEs, (which
    are nothing but collections of applications) is to divorce the user
    from the operating system, to force them to learn how to use the
    DE rather than the operating system. To turn them into ignorant
    appliance operators dependent upon paid technical support.

    Kde is actually larger than my entire Slackware OS.

    And I can do anything that anyone can do with kde.

    It takes longer to learn how to use kde than it does to learn
    how to run Linux using the shell; the command line.

    [delete]

    Sid

    --
    contact: http://tinyurl.com/5jxzoj
    googlegroups users see:

  18. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    * notbob wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:

    > On 2008-10-21, SINNER wrote:
    >
    >> Try paying attention, you might learn something.

    > It's become apparent to me you're going to continue to bad-mouth,
    > belittle, and berate anyone you disagree with, the subject or tone of
    > discussion be damned. So be it. Life is to short. Ta-ta, little
    > man.

    You know, I just went back over the post you are responding to and I cant
    find ONE line of berating or badmouthing. You actually had me convinced I
    was too harsh, turns out, the issue is yours not mine.

    The only thing I said to you was to pay attention. Youve been told multiple
    times WHY you SHOULD upgrade slrn, in fact YOU jumped into this thread when
    no one was talking to you just so you could rail me for touting an upgrade
    that YOU deem unnecessarry, so now, when there is a perfect example in this
    very thread of why you should, you ignore it, damn you are thick!

    --
    David

  19. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

  20. Re: WTF is it with ubuntu?

    On 2008-10-21, SINNER wrote:

    > The only thing I said to you was to pay attention.

    Oh, so you don't consider an admonishment a putdown. I got a mother.

    > Youve been told multiple
    > times WHY you SHOULD upgrade slrn......

    "SHOULD"!? Isn't that rather presumptuous?

    > no one was talking to you.......

    Oh, I should be invited? Never stopped you.

    > damn you are thick!

    yeah, that's not personal.

    You wanna discuss linux n' tech, I'm here. Wanna fling barbs, not interested.

    nb