how to set up a printer Slackware 12.1 ? - Slackware

This is a discussion on how to set up a printer Slackware 12.1 ? - Slackware ; hello I need to set up a printer. It's a samsung ml-1250 laser. It seems to be supported and the is a driver pxlmono for linux. It's a PPD file. how should I start setting it up? I tried to ...

  1. how to set up a printer Slackware 12.1 ?

    hello

    I need to set up a printer. It's a samsung ml-1250 laser. It seems to be
    supported and the is a driver pxlmono for linux. It's a PPD file.
    how should I start setting it up? I tried to use apsfilter but the strange
    thing is
    that though there is a pxlmono driver (or at least a file called pxlmono) in
    apsfilter directory it can not be chosen
    during the setup when asked for.

    What to do with the PPD file?

    Thank you for you help

    Serge

  2. Re: how to set up a printer Slackware 12.1 ?

    =SERGE= wrote:

    > I need to set up a printer. It's a samsung ml-1250 laser. It seems to
    > be supported and the is a driver pxlmono for linux. It's a PPD file.
    > how should I start setting it up?

    I can recommend cups. First, check if it's already running via

    http://localhost:631/

    if you don't see cups' welcome page enter as root:

    chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.cups
    /etc/rc.d/rc.cups

    then you can add your printer (check the manual/help for that)

    > What to do with the PPD file?

    What source is it from? samsung? I went thru great pains to get my
    samsung laserprinter to work and finally had success with help from
    this newsgroup. Only thing I needed was the foomatic ppd file for my
    printer and use it in the cups printer setup.

    HTH,
    S.

  3. Re: how to set up a printer Slackware 12.1 ?

    "=SERGE=" writes:

    > hello
    >
    > I need to set up a printer. It's a samsung ml-1250 laser. It seems to be
    > supported and the is a driver pxlmono for linux. It's a PPD file.
    > how should I start setting it up? I tried to use apsfilter but the strange
    > thing is
    > that though there is a pxlmono driver (or at least a file called pxlmono) in
    > apsfilter directory it can not be chosen
    > during the setup when asked for.
    >
    > What to do with the PPD file?

    Simon has told you how to get cups up and running

    You then go to http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

    locate your printer and its ppd file - download the ppd

    This page

    http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Op...SDocumentation

    will tell you what to do with it!

    In my case I had to drop the driver into /usr/share/cups/model so that
    cups can find it Then to re-start the cups daemon run

    killall -HUP cupsd

    You can then use a web-browser to go to http://localhost:631/admin where
    you will be able to use CUPS to set up your printer.

    hth

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  4. Re: how to set up a printer Slackware 12.1 ?

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:20:59 +0400, =SERGE= wrote:

    > hello
    >
    > I need to set up a printer. It's a samsung ml-1250 laser. It seems to be
    > supported and the is a driver pxlmono for linux. It's a PPD file. how
    > should I start setting it up? I tried to use apsfilter but the strange
    > thing is
    > that though there is a pxlmono driver (or at least a file called
    > pxlmono) in apsfilter directory it can not be chosen during the setup
    > when asked for.
    >
    > What to do with the PPD file?
    >
    > Thank you for you help
    >
    > Serge

    Have you tried pdq ?

    It uses no demon and is good for simple printer setups.

    JB

+ Reply to Thread