how to change screen resolution slackware 12.01? - Slackware

This is a discussion on how to change screen resolution slackware 12.01? - Slackware ; Hello, I installed the system alright. Thiis a rather modern computer with sata disk. I don't know the video card type only that it's an integrated v/c on the motherboard. The screen is a 19' 16/9. The KDE is up ...

  1. how to change screen resolution slackware 12.01?

    Hello,

    I installed the system alright. Thiis a rather modern computer with sata
    disk.
    I don't know the video card type only that it's an integrated v/c on the
    motherboard.
    The screen is a 19' 16/9. The KDE is up and running but the resolution is
    only 1024x768.
    Which file should I modify and which lines for there are xorg.conf and
    xorg.vesa etc.....I don't think that
    I should need a extra special driver to get a hisher resolution or should I?

    Thank you very much

    Serge

  2. Re: how to change screen resolution slackware 12.01?

    On 2008-10-16, =SERGE= wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I don't know the video card type only that it's an integrated v/c on the
    > motherboard.
    > The screen is a 19' 16/9. The KDE is up and running but the resolution is
    > only 1024x768.

    If your videocard was correctly identified by the automatic setup you
    should be able to change resolution using CTRL-ALT-+ and CTRL-ALT--
    (CTRL ALT and the +/- keys on the numeric pad), otherwise use lspci to
    try to figure out what sort of videocard you have and try to reconfigure
    your X.

    Search on google with the brand/model of pc and see if somebody else has
    the same model and already figured it out.

    Davide

    --
    "Cynical" is a term invented by optimists to describe realists.
    -- Gregory Benford

  3. Re: how to change screen resolution slackware 12.01?

    "=SERGE=" writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I installed the system alright. Thiis a rather modern computer with sata
    > disk.
    > I don't know the video card type only that it's an integrated v/c on the
    > motherboard.
    > The screen is a 19' 16/9. The KDE is up and running but the resolution is
    > only 1024x768.
    > Which file should I modify and which lines for there are xorg.conf and
    > xorg.vesa etc.....I don't think that
    > I should need a extra special driver to get a hisher resolution or should I?

    Hi Serge,

    The relevant file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and here is the relevant section
    - edit the Modes line for the depth you want, then re-start X.

    ,----
    | Section "Screen"
    | Identifier "Screen0"
    | Device "Card0"
    | Monitor "Monitor0"
    | DefaultDepth 24
    | SubSection "Display"
    | Viewport 0 0
    | Depth 1
    | EndSubSection
    | SubSection "Display"
    | Viewport 0 0
    | Depth 4
    | EndSubSection
    | SubSection "Display"
    | Viewport 0 0
    | Depth 8
    | EndSubSection
    | SubSection "Display"
    | Viewport 0 0
    | Depth 15
    | EndSubSection
    | SubSection "Display"
    | Viewport 0 0
    | Depth 16
    | EndSubSection
    | SubSection "Display"
    | Viewport 0 0
    | Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768"
    | Depth 24
    | EndSubSection
    | EndSection
    `----

    hth

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  4. Re: how to change screen resolution slackware 12.01?

    Below, the "at" symbol (Shift-2) changed to "(at)" to keep googlegroups
    from rendering the headers mostly useless.

    Davide Bianchi wrote:
    > Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.slackware
    > From: Davide Bianchi
    > Subject: Re: how to change screen resolution slackware 12.01?

    You get another guess.

    I hate jerks who want to keep important parts of useful threads
    out of the usenet archives at googlegroups. So when I see posts
    with this header (my newsreader scores them uniquely) that look
    worthwhile, I make sure they are archived even more thoroughly
    than they would have been otherwise.

    http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

    And why is this guy doing it? For no other reason than he's
    a jerk.

    > Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:58:01 +0200
    >
    > On 2008-10-16, =SERGE= wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I don't know the video card type only that it's an integrated v/c on the
    >> motherboard.
    >> The screen is a 19' 16/9. The KDE is up and running but the resolution is
    >> only 1024x768.

    > If your videocard was correctly identified by the automatic setup you
    > should be able to change resolution using CTRL-ALT-+ and CTRL-ALT--
    > (CTRL ALT and the +/- keys on the numeric pad), otherwise use lspci to
    > try to figure out what sort of videocard you have and try to reconfigure
    > your X.
    >
    > Search on google with the brand/model of pc and see if somebody else has
    > the same model and already figured it out.
    >
    > Davide
    >
    > --
    > "Cynical" is a term invented by optimists to describe realists.
    > -- Gregory Benford

    "Jerk" is a term invented to describe people like you.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...=2008&safe=off

    Or maybe I did this just for fun. ;-)

    Sid

  5. Re: how to change screen resolution slackware 12.01?

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Sidney Lambe wrote:

    > Below, the "at" symbol (Shift-2) changed to "(at)" to keep googlegroups
    > from rendering the headers mostly useless.

    First, it's not valuable information. It's in any book I've read
    about linux GUIs.

    Second, you just come across as an idiot when you can't even
    bother to say what it is you are doing. I looked at your message
    and his message three times before it was clearing that your "outrage"
    is the fact that he doesn't want his message acrchived at google. A
    pretty minor thing, especially when the clue-full know this information
    isn't hard to find, and undoubtedly has been posted lots of times
    before.

    For a jerk like you who thinks KDE is a dumbing down linux, you
    can hardly be thinking of google in glowing terms. Google is
    the dumbification of usenet.

    Michael

  6. Re: how to change screen resolution slackware 12.01?

    Michael Black wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Sidney Lambe wrote:
    >
    >> Below, the "at" symbol (Shift-2) changed to "(at)" to keep googlegroups
    >> from rendering the headers mostly useless.
    >>

    > First, it's not valuable information. It's in any book I've read
    > about linux GUIs.

    So if it's been published in a book, it isn't worth publishing
    on the usenet? Can you chew gum and walk at the same time?

    One incredibly stupid statement is my limit.

    The rest of this post has been deleted without being read.

    I said what I said and I did what I did.

    If you don't like it, that's too bad.

    I do not consult idiots before acting.

    And no idiot is capable of stopping me from doing anything.

    [delete]

    Sid

  7. Re: how to change screen resolution slackware 12.01?

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:58:01 +0200, Davide Bianchi wrote:

    > On 2008-10-16, =SERGE= wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I don't know the video card type only that it's an integrated v/c on
    >> the motherboard.
    >> The screen is a 19' 16/9. The KDE is up and running but the
    >> resolution is only 1024x768.

    > If your videocard was correctly identified by the automatic setup you
    > should be able to change resolution using CTRL-ALT-+ and CTRL-ALT--
    > (CTRL ALT and the +/- keys on the numeric pad), otherwise use lspci to
    > try to figure out what sort of videocard you have and try to reconfigure
    > your X.
    >
    > Search on google with the brand/model of pc and see if somebody else has
    > the same model and already figured it out.

    I got the book "Slackware Linux Essentials" from cheapbytes.com. Ch.6 is
    X configuration. Choices (from the command line, no X running): 1)
    xorgconfig, specify mouse type, then monitor resolution & Hsync freq,
    then Vsync freq, then video card. Or 2) xorgsetup. Worked fine for me.

  8. Re: how to change screen resolution slackware 12.01?

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:08:52 -0700, Sidney Lambe wrote:

    > And no idiot is capable of stopping me from doing anything.

    What if that idiot is you, Mr. Tough Guy?
    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  9. Re: how to change screen resolution slackware 12.01?

    ,----
    | Chick Tower writes:
    |
    | > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:08:52 -0700, Sidney Lambe wrote:
    | >
    | >> And no idiot is capable of stopping me from doing anything.
    | >
    | > What if that idiot is you, Mr. Tough Guy?
    `----

    Modquoyte anyone?

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)
    STFW http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...inux.slackware
    JFGI http://jfgi.us/

  10. Re: how to change screen resolution slackware 12.01?

    Hallo, Glyn,

    Du meintest am 17.10.08:

    | >> What if that idiot is you, Mr. Tough Guy?
    > `----

    > Modquoyte anyone?

    No - there are still too many trolls recited.
    A good filter is a better solution.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  11. Re: how to change screen resolution slackware 12.01?

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 23:19:54 -0400, someone posting as Chick Tower
    purportedly wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:08:52 -0700, Sidney Lambe wrote:
    >
    >> And no idiot is capable of stopping me from doing anything.

    > What if that idiot is you, Mr. Tough Guy?

    Wasn't this the mouth-foamer who claimed he was outta here last week?

    --
    poking dumbasses in the forehead...one dumbass at a time

+ Reply to Thread