please admit that man is made for 60's tty ! - Slackware

This is a discussion on please admit that man is made for 60's tty ! - Slackware ; It might be less annoying reading man/s if it was admitted that the absurd left margin is designed for pencil-notes for your 60's tty paper-copy. And the cognitively-noisy hyphen -ation crap was a fad of the times. Otherwise you too ...

  1. please admit that man is made for 60's tty !

    It might be less annoying reading man/s if it was
    admitted that the absurd left margin is designed for
    pencil-notes for your 60's tty paper-copy.
    And the cognitively-noisy hyphen
    -ation crap was a fad of the times.

    Otherwise you too might feel "WTF is this new
    fashion, which I can't cope with yet".

    If you know the historical excuse it's easier to
    tolerate, rather than thinking 'what's wrong with me'.

    ??

  2. Re: please admit that man is made for 60's tty !

    problems@gmail wrote:

    > It might be less annoying reading man/s if it was
    > admitted that the absurd left margin is designed for
    > pencil-notes for your 60's tty paper-copy.
    > And the cognitively-noisy hyphen
    > -ation crap was a fad of the times.
    >
    > Otherwise you too might feel "WTF is this new
    > fashion, which I can't cope with yet".
    >
    > If you know the historical excuse it's easier to
    > tolerate, rather than thinking 'what's wrong with me'.
    >
    > ??

    `konqueror man:whoami` <- try that then

  3. Re: man is made for 60's tty !

    Responding to problems:

    > It might be less annoying reading man/s if it was admitted that the
    > absurd left margin is designed for pencil-notes for your 60's tty
    > paper-copy. And the cognitively-noisy hyphen
    > -ation crap was a fad of the times.
    >
    > Otherwise you too might feel "WTF is this new fashion, which I can't
    > cope with yet".
    >
    > If you know the historical excuse it's easier to tolerate, rather than
    > thinking 'what's wrong with me'.
    >
    > ??

    We've just done that one last week.

    Leave your details at the front desk.

    P.S. "And on the 7th compilation, *NIX created man"

    --
    *===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
    *===( http://www.badphorm.co.uk/

  4. Re: please admit that man is made for 60's tty !

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:57:41 -0500, problems wrote:

    > (a rant about man and 60's tty)

    I apologise, but I don't have a 1960's teletype to check on.

    Don't think you need it though. I find that man works fine on my 21st
    century LCD panel.

    PS The next person complaining that they can't understand man pages will
    be fined $5 and be forced to buy the next round.

    PPS Mine's a triple Laphroaig.

    PPPS Could you people in comp.os.linux.misc please make a greater effort
    to keep your clueless newsbies out of alt.os.linux.slackware in future?
    It's a dangerous environment for them, what with all those power tools
    being left around routinely. You wouldn't want them to injure
    themselves, would you now? Thanks.

  5. Re: please admit that man is made for 60's tty !

    Mark Madsen writes:
    > You wouldn't want them to injure themselves, would you now?

    In some cases, we wouldn't mind at all.
    --
    John Hasler
    john@dhh.gt.org

  6. Re: please admit that man is made for 60s tty !

    Responding to Mark Madsen:

    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:57:41 -0500, problems wrote:
    >
    >> (a rant about man and 60's tty)

    > I apologise, but I don't have a 1960's teletype to check on.
    >
    > Don't think you need it though. I find that man works fine on my 21st
    > century LCD panel.
    >
    > PS The next person complaining that they can't understand man pages
    > will be fined $5 and be forced to buy the next round.

    Oi! I heard that!

    --
    *===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
    *===( http://www.badphorm.co.uk/
    *===( http://www.zenwalk.org/

  7. Re: please admit that man is made for 60s tty !

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:24:36 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

    >> PS The next person complaining that they can't understand man pages
    >> will be fined $5 and be forced to buy the next round.
    >>

    > Oi! I heard that!

    Would you like me to explain the difference between "next person" and
    "last person" very slowly?

    ;-)

  8. Re: please admit that man is made for 60's tty !

    Mark Madsen wrote:

    > PS The next person complaining that they can't understand man pages will
    > be fined $5 and be forced to buy the next round.

    man man!

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  9. Re: please admit that man is made for 60s tty !

    Responding to Mark Madsen:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:24:36 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:
    >
    >>> PS The next person complaining that they can't understand man pages
    >>> will be fined $5 and be forced to buy the next round.
    >>>

    >> Oi! I heard that!

    > Would you like me to explain the difference between "next person" and
    > "last person" very slowly?
    >
    > ;-)

    Does it include the "who"?

    --
    *===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
    *===( http://www.badphorm.co.uk/
    *===( http://www.zenwalk.org/

  10. Re: please admit that man is made for 60s tty !

    Hallo, Mike,

    Du meintest am 15.10.08:

    >> Would you like me to explain the difference between "next person"
    >> and "last person" very slowly?

    > Does it include the "who"?

    man who

    exists! But it's included in the coreutils package, not in the man
    package. Someone should coerce the packages.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  11. Re: please admit that man is made for 60's tty !

    Mark Madsen wrote:
    > PPPS Could you people in comp.os.linux.misc please make a greater effort
    > to keep your clueless newsbies out of alt.os.linux.slackware in future?

    How do you propose we do that?

    > It's a dangerous environment for them, what with all those power tools
    > being left around routinely. You wouldn't want them to injure
    > themselves, would you now?

    We wouldn't? Then how would they learn?

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  12. Re: please admit that man is made for 60's tty !

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:39:15 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Mark Madsen wrote:
    >> PPPS Could you people in comp.os.linux.misc please make a greater
    >> effort to keep your clueless newsbies out of alt.os.linux.slackware in
    >> future?

    > How do you propose we do that?

    The usual methods. Ropes, chains, thumbscrews....

    >> It's a dangerous environment for them, what with all those power tools
    >> being left around routinely. You wouldn't want them to injure
    >> themselves, would you now?

    > We wouldn't? Then how would they learn?

    In AOLS it's Learn Or Die. Most choose the latter.

    >> Thanks.

    I would have thought someone whose signature was full of quotation
    material from Father Ted would have been able to identify humour the
    first time round.

  13. Re: please admit that man is made for 60's tty !

    Mark Madsen wrote:
    >> Mark Madsen wrote:
    >>> PPPS Could you people in comp.os.linux.misc please make a greater
    >>> effort to keep your clueless newsbies out of alt.os.linux.slackware in
    >>> future?

    >> How do you propose we do that?

    > The usual methods. Ropes, chains, thumbscrews....
    >
    >>> It's a dangerous environment for them, what with all those power tools
    >>> being left around routinely. You wouldn't want them to injure
    >>> themselves, would you now?

    >> We wouldn't? Then how would they learn?

    > In AOLS it's Learn Or Die. Most choose the latter.
    >
    >>> Thanks.

    > I would have thought someone whose signature was full of quotation
    > material from Father Ted would have been able to identify humour the
    > first time round.

    Eh? what makes you think I didn't? Hmmm, does everything need smilies all of
    a sudden?

  14. Re: please admit that man is made for 60s tty !

    Responding to Helmut Hullen:

    > Hallo, Mike,
    >
    > Du meintest am 15.10.08:
    >
    >>> Would you like me to explain the difference between "next person" and
    >>> "last person" very slowly?

    >> Does it include the "who"?

    > man who
    >
    > exists! But it's included in the coreutils package, not in the man
    > package. Someone should coerce the packages.

    You were looking in the wrong place.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who

    --
    *===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
    *===( http://www.badphorm.co.uk/
    *===( http://www.zenwalk.org/

  15. Re: please admit that man is made for 60s tty !

    Mike Jones wrote in news:OCrJk.72298$E41.3770
    @text.news.virginmedia.com:

    > Responding to Helmut Hullen:
    >
    >> Hallo, Mike,
    >>
    >> Du meintest am 15.10.08:

    and

    >>> Does it include the "who"?

    >> man who
    >>
    >> exists! But it's included in the coreutils package, not in the man
    >> package. Someone should coerce the packages.
    >>

    > You were looking in the wrong place.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who

    Sounds like the person needs help alright....therefore:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who

    :-)

  16. Re: please admit that man is made for 60s tty !

    Responding to propman:

    > Mike Jones wrote in news:OCrJk.72298$E41.3770
    > @text.news.virginmedia.com:
    >
    >> Responding to Helmut Hullen:
    >>
    >>> Hallo, Mike,
    >>>
    >>> Du meintest am 15.10.08:

    > and

    >>> man who
    >>>
    >>> exists! But it's included in the coreutils package, not in the man
    >>> package. Someone should coerce the packages.
    >>>

    >> You were looking in the wrong place.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who
    >>

    > Sounds like the person needs help alright....therefore:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who
    >
    > :-)

    Just stuck "who's that girl" into Wikipedia's search box and got this...

    "Our servers are currently experiencing a technical problem."

    Tried "Madonna" and it timed out.

    I think we've found the source of the problem.

    I KNEW that girl would be trouble!

    --
    *===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
    *===( http://www.badphorm.co.uk/