Vi error when entering isert mode - Slackware

This is a discussion on Vi error when entering isert mode - Slackware ; I get "insert is illegal in vi mode" when trying to enter insert mode ("ESC : i") in vi on my webserver. I was trying to set up a backup as cron job using "crontab -e." It occurs both from ...

  1. Vi error when entering isert mode

    I get "insert is illegal in vi mode" when trying to enter insert mode
    ("ESC : i") in vi on my webserver.

    I was trying to set up a backup as cron job using "crontab -e." It occurs
    both from a terminal shell and via ssh and for boot root and user (and,
    since the is a server, I pretty much do only root stuff on it).

    I got the same error when I tried to enter change mode ("ESC : c").

    You can see a picture here:

    http://www.pineviewfarm.net/misc/vi_error.jpg

    Any thoughts? What did I overlook?

    Slackware 12.1.

    --
    Blogging from Pine View Farm (http://www.pineviewfarm.net)
    Updates daily. Worthwhile updates occasionally.

    Opera (http://www.opera.com), Fluxbox (http://www.fluxbox.org), and
    Slackware (http://www.slackware.com)--
    the ultimate internet experience.

  2. Re: Vi error when entering isert mode

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:06:51 -0400, "Frank Bell" wrote:

    >I get "insert is illegal in vi mode" when trying to enter insert mode

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >("ESC : i") in vi on my webserver.
    >
    >I was trying to set up a backup as cron job using "crontab -e." It occurs
    >both from a terminal shell and via ssh and for boot root and user (and,
    >since the is a server, I pretty much do only root stuff on it).
    >
    >I got the same error when I tried to enter change mode ("ESC : c").
    >
    >You can see a picture here:
    >
    >http://www.pineviewfarm.net/misc/vi_error.jpg
    >
    >Any thoughts? What did I overlook?

    Is elvis installed? Seems you may have vim masquerading as vi, not good
    enough for 'crontab -e'.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  3. Re: Vi error when entering isert mode

    > I get "insert is illegal in vi mode" when trying to enter insert mode
    > ("ESC : i") in vi on my webserver.

    You don't want the colon. Just press 'i'. Once you are
    in insert mode, you can type away. Press escape to get
    back to command mode.

    HTH,
    --
    Charles

  4. Re: Vi error when entering isert mode

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:41:54 -0400, Charles Polisher
    wrote:

    > You don't want the colon. Just press 'i'. Once you are
    > in insert mode, you can type away. Press escape to get
    > back to command mode.

    Thanks.

    I figured it was me.

    --
    Blogging from Pine View Farm (http://www.pineviewfarm.net)
    Updates daily. Worthwhile updates occasionally.

    Opera (http://www.opera.com), Fluxbox (http://www.fluxbox.org), and
    Slackware (http://www.slackware.com)--
    the ultimate internet experience.

+ Reply to Thread