Installing multiple dependancies - Slackware

This is a discussion on Installing multiple dependancies - Slackware ; Hi, Well I finally got slack installed after a long break from using it, I say finally because I had to boot this machine via a PXE server which took me a bit of time to set up. The times ...

  1. Installing multiple dependancies

    Hi,

    Well I finally got slack installed after a long break from using it, I
    say finally because I had to boot this machine via a PXE server which
    took me a bit of time to set up.

    The times i've used slack before it was always as a server, and as such
    was a rock solid workhorse. Now i'm looking to use it more as a desktop
    machine and have run into some issues:

    Dependency hell. What can I do about this. For example: i want to install
    the mplayer-plug in to firefox. It depends on mplayer, no surprise there
    however I also have a list of other dependencies:

    faac-1.25-i486-1gds.tgz lame-3.97-i486-1kjz.tgz speex-1.2beta2-
    i486-1kjz.tgz faad2-2.6.1-i486-1wim.tgz libmpcdec-1.2.6-i486-1gds.tgz
    x264-20070914-i486-1kjz.tgz ffmpeg-20071007-i486-1kjz.tgz qjackctl-0.2.23-
    i486-1kjz.tgz xvidcore-1.1.3-i686-1mfb.tgz

    Surly, there must be a way of quickly checking either A)whether these are
    installed B)which ones are missing C)installing them all without
    searching linuxpackages for each one. I would prefer not to hand control
    over to slapt-get or a derivative.

    No doubt some of those have dependencies as well and I'll end up in
    circles.

    I use linuxpackages.net for most pre-compilations.

    Is there something fundamental I am missing from this process, and if so
    I would appreciate it if someone could detail the quickest way to resolve
    these issues.

    Avid slackfan, ODDity

  2. Re: Installing multiple dependancies

    On 13 Oct 2008 21:37:21 GMT, no wrote:

    >I use linuxpackages.net for most pre-compilations.
    >
    >Is there something fundamental I am missing from this process, and if so
    >I would appreciate it if someone could detail the quickest way to resolve
    >these issues.

    slackbuilds.org ??

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  3. Re: Installing multiple dependancies

    no wrote:
    > Dependency hell. What can I do about this. For example: i want to install
    > the mplayer-plug in to firefox. It depends on mplayer, no surprise there
    > however I also have a list of other dependencies:

    Been there, done that. Once done I simply ended up typing:

    make mplayerplug-in install

    ....to get mplayer-plugin and all its dependencies downloaded, built and
    installed. The tool I created for this is avaiable at
    makepack.sourceforge.net. The dependencies listed for mplayerplug-in at my
    system are:

    make mplayerplug-in check
    vstream-client-1.2-pentium4-mp will be installed.

    live555-latest-pentium4-mp will be installed.

    nas-1.9-pentium4-mp will be installed.

    jack-audio-connection-kit-0.103.0-pentium4-mp will be installed.

    libgii-1.0.2-pentium4-mp will be installed.

    libggi-2.2.2-pentium4-mp will be installed.

    xvidcore-1.1.3-pentium4-mp is already installed,
    and will not be installed again.

    libdv-0.99-i386-1 is already installed,
    libdv-1.0.0-pentium4-mp will NOT be installed
    unless libdv-0.99-i386-1 is removed.

    libdts-0.0.2-pentium4-mp is already installed,
    and will not be installed again.

    libtheora-1.0alpha7-pentium4-mp will be installed.

    lzo-1.08-i386-1 is already installed,
    lzo-1.08-pentium4-mp will NOT be installed
    unless lzo-1.08-i386-1 is removed.

    libmpcdec-1.2.6-pentium4-mp will be installed.

    MPlayer_win_codecs-20071007-pentium4-mp will be installed.

    MPlayer-1.0pre2-i386-1 is already installed,
    MPlayer-1.0rc2-pentium4-mp will NOT be installed
    unless MPlayer-1.0pre2-i386-1 is removed.

    mplayerplug-in-3.45-pentium4-mp will be installed.

    To control dependencies and how to build software simple rule files are
    used. The rule file for mplayerplug-in looks like this:

    -8<--------------------------
    # For some reason this plugin does not seem to work reliably in Slackware 12.0.
    DESCRIPTION = This plug-in gives Mozilla the ability to play media
    SRC_PKG = mplayerplug-in-3.45.tar.gz
    ORG_DIR = mplayerplug-in

    INSTALL_METHOD = $(foreach DIR, $(wildcard /usr/lib/mozilla*) \
    $(wildcard /usr/lib/firefox*), \
    install -d -m 755 $(DIR)/plugins ; \
    install -d -m 755 $(DIR)/components ; \
    cp mplayerplug-in*.so $(DIR)/plugins && \
    cp mplayerplug-in*.xpt $(DIR)/components &&)\
    cd po && make install

    DEPS += MPlayer

    SF_DIR = mplayerplug-in

    The latest official version of makepack is now a bit old with some rule
    files outdated. You might prefer to get the latest development version
    from cvs instead.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

+ Reply to Thread