Slackware 13.0? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Slackware 13.0? - Slackware ; Just a thought: Not sure whether the next iteration is 12.2 or 13.0. If 13.0 it ought to come out on Haloween or a Friday 13th? This haloween is a little close. Pete -- http://www.petezilla.co.uk...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

  1. Slackware 13.0?

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  2. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Peter Chant wrote:

    > Just a thought:
    >
    > Not sure whether the next iteration is 12.2 or 13.0. If 13.0 it ought to
    > come out on Haloween or a Friday 13th? This haloween is a little close.
    >
    > Pete

    It can't be close, nobody's called a contest.

    In the past, I've never paid attention to the changelog, but I've assumed
    some do and they see a pattern that suggests the new release is close,
    hence the call for the Fun and Games contest.

    I've been watching it lately, but I have no previous experience with
    the changelog to interpret what's going on. At the moment, there does
    seem to be days when it seems a lot is updated, but that in itself
    means nothing.

    Michael

  3. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    Michael Black wrote:

    > It can't be close, nobody's called a contest.

    Nothing specific brought it up except the proximity of haloween and that
    slack must go to 13.0 shortly. Unless someone decides to go from 12.x ->
    14.0.

    > I've been watching it lately, but I have no previous experience with
    > the changelog to interpret what's going on. At the moment, there does
    > seem to be days when it seems a lot is updated, but that in itself
    > means nothing.

    Not that I have any influence but 12.1 is still rather new.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  4. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    On 2008-10-13, Peter Chant wrote:
    > Michael Black wrote:
    >

    >> It can't be close, nobody's called a contest.

    > Nothing specific brought it up except the proximity of haloween and that
    > slack must go to 13.0 shortly. Unless someone decides to go from 12.x ->
    > 14.0.

    I've alreade made a deal with myself: if slackware 13.0 comes out, then
    I will order the official CD/DVD set etc. If it skips this 'superstituous'
    number, then I won't. So I hope 13.0 comes out, and also on a nice date,
    like e.g. a Friday 13th.

    I live in Holland, and there we don't have a halloween (althoug big
    corporations try to bring that also to our small country). Therefore
    I wouldn't really know when Halloween is/was, presumably somewhere at the
    end of October. Anyways: a friday 13th is more to my liking than halloween.

  5. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Blikje Ham wrote:

    > I've alreade made a deal with myself: if slackware 13.0 comes out, then
    > I will order the official CD/DVD set etc. If it skips this 'superstituous'
    > number, then I won't. So I hope 13.0 comes out, and also on a nice date,
    > like e.g. a Friday 13th.

    I hadn't thought of that.

    Of course, if it jumps to 14.0, they can always say it was to "keep up"
    with the other distributions.

    Michael

  6. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    Michael Black wrote:

    > Of course, if it jumps to 14.0, they can always say it was to "keep up"
    > with the other distributions.

    With all the renaming and fragmentation elsewhere Slack is now ahead!

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  7. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:13:29 -0400, Michael Black wrote:

    >On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Blikje Ham wrote:
    >
    >> I've alreade made a deal with myself: if slackware 13.0 comes out, then
    >> I will order the official CD/DVD set etc. If it skips this 'superstituous'
    >> number, then I won't. So I hope 13.0 comes out, and also on a nice date,
    >> like e.g. a Friday 13th.
    >>

    >I hadn't thought of that.
    >
    >Of course, if it jumps to 14.0, they can always say it was to "keep up"
    >with the other distributions.

    Keep up with? What other distro has such high release number?

    Grant.

  8. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Grant wrote:

    > Keep up with? What other distro has such high release number?

    SuSE is the closest that I know of at 11, enterpise version is only
    at 10.2 though. And if redHat stayed the way they should have, they'd be
    up to 18 Though thats hardly true given their 6 month release cycle
    for fedora, and less than 12 month cycle for RHL, so it would be more
    likely around '11/12'.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  9. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:09:38 +1100
    Grant wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:13:29 -0400, Michael Black
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Of course, if it jumps to 14.0, they can always say it was to "keep
    > >up" with the other distributions.

    > Keep up with? What other distro has such high release number?

    Mandrakiva is up to 2009, a couple of orders of magnitude greater than
    14.

  10. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    Q wrote:

    > Mandrakiva is up to 2009, a couple of orders of magnitude greater than
    > 14.

    Ok then, make slack go up in powers of 2.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  11. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Grant wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:13:29 -0400, Michael Black wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Blikje Ham wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've alreade made a deal with myself: if slackware 13.0 comes out, then
    >>> I will order the official CD/DVD set etc. If it skips this 'superstituous'
    >>> number, then I won't. So I hope 13.0 comes out, and also on a nice date,
    >>> like e.g. a Friday 13th.
    >>>

    >> I hadn't thought of that.
    >>
    >> Of course, if it jumps to 14.0, they can always say it was to "keep up"
    >> with the other distributions.

    > Keep up with? What other distro has such high release number?
    >
    > Grant.

    That was of course a reference to The Big Jump from Slackware 4.0 to
    7.0, "to keep up with the other distributions".

    As Peter Chant says, the other distributions have fallen behind
    because they keep changing their names, and splitting off into a new
    fork.

    If RedHat had stayed RedHat, wheere would it be now? Instead, there
    is Fedora 9. If you add nine to whatever number RedHat was at when
    the transition was made, then you get a higher number than Slackware,
    likely RedHat 18 or so.

    Michael

  12. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    On 10/14/2008 09:12 PM, Blikje Ham wrote:
    > On 2008-10-13, Peter Chant wrote:
    >> Michael Black wrote:
    >>

    >>> It can't be close, nobody's called a contest.

    >> Nothing specific brought it up except the proximity of haloween and that
    >> slack must go to 13.0 shortly. Unless someone decides to go from 12.x ->
    >> 14.0.
    >>

    > I've alreade made a deal with myself: if slackware 13.0 comes out, then
    > I will order the official CD/DVD set etc. If it skips this 'superstituous'
    > number, then I won't. So I hope 13.0 comes out, and also on a nice date,
    > like e.g. a Friday 13th.
    >
    > I live in Holland, and there we don't have a halloween (althoug big
    > corporations try to bring that also to our small country). Therefore
    > I wouldn't really know when Halloween is/was, presumably somewhere at the
    > end of October. Anyways: a friday 13th is more to my liking than halloween.

    Not really Friday 13th but quite close if you don mind the digits of
    the being exchanged. Halloween is Friday 31st.

    Ciao
    Giovanni
    --
    A computer is like an air conditioner,
    it stops working when you open Windows.

  13. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:41:03 +0000, Giovanni wrote:

    > On 10/14/2008 09:12 PM, Blikje Ham wrote:

    >>> Nothing specific brought it up except the proximity of haloween and
    >>> that slack must go to 13.0 shortly. Unless someone decides to go from
    >>> 12.x -> 14.0.
    >>>

    >> I've alreade made a deal with myself: if slackware 13.0 comes out, then
    >> I will order the official CD/DVD set etc. If it skips this
    >> 'superstituous' number, then I won't. So I hope 13.0 comes out, and
    >> also on a nice date, like e.g. a Friday 13th.
    >>
    >> I live in Holland, and there we don't have a halloween (althoug big
    >> corporations try to bring that also to our small country). Therefore I
    >> wouldn't really know when Halloween is/was, presumably somewhere at the
    >> end of October. Anyways: a friday 13th is more to my liking than
    >> halloween.

    > Not really Friday 13th but quite close if you don mind the digits of the
    > being exchanged. Halloween is Friday 31st.

    People who want to be evil should use Ubuntu. They already have a
    Satanic Edition (which Distrowatch refuses to list :-)

  14. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    Res wrote:
    > SuSE is the closest that I know of at 11, enterpise version is only
    > at 10.2 though.

    10.0, Suse Linux Enterprise only uses .0 releases.
    The next one, now being worked on, will thus be 11.0
    Any 10. release is openSUSE, not the Enterprise version.

    > up to 18 Though thats hardly true given their 6 month release cycle
    > for fedora, and less than 12 month cycle for RHL, so it would be more
    > likely around '11/12'.

    OpenSUSE also uses a (about) 6 months release cycle, so 11.1 will be
    released in December. At the same time 10.2 will go OUT of support
    as it will then be 2 years old.
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  15. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    On 2008-10-15, Mark Madsen wrote:

    > People who want to be evil should use Ubuntu.

    Apparently, even mentioning it puts one at risk. I related how the latest
    ver wouldn't boot on a stock sony vaio desktop over at c.o.l.m and now I'm
    the devil's spawn. Lotta zealotry behind ubu.

    nb

  16. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 19:24:34 +0000, notbob wrote:

    > On 2008-10-15, Mark Madsen wrote:
    >
    >> People who want to be evil should use Ubuntu.

    > Apparently, even mentioning it puts one at risk. I related how the
    > latest ver wouldn't boot on a stock sony vaio desktop over at c.o.l.m
    > and now I'm the devil's spawn. Lotta zealotry behind ubu.

    A Sony is certainly a good choice for a satanic operating system.

  17. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    On 2008-10-15, Mark Madsen wrote:

    > A Sony is certainly a good choice for a satanic operating system.

    Boy, howdy!

    To paraphrase a great homeboy, "I'll buy Sony no more forever".

    nb

  18. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, Eef Hartman wrote:

    > Res wrote:
    >> SuSE is the closest that I know of at 11, enterpise version is only
    >> at 10.2 though.

    > 10.0, Suse Linux Enterprise only uses .0 releases.
    > The next one, now being worked on, will thus be 11.0
    > Any 10. release is openSUSE, not the Enterprise version.

    your correct, its v10 with SP2

    > OpenSUSE also uses a (about) 6 months release cycle, so 11.1 will be

    Due to their deal with the devil I removed the only copy of suse I had and
    wont be using them again, suse was OK, nothing special on a par with RH or
    any other RPM clone really.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  19. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    Mark Madsen wrote:

    > People who want to be evil should use Ubuntu. They already have a
    > Satanic Edition (which Distrowatch refuses to list :-)

    Just for ****s and giggles, I installed SW 1.something on a 486 SX laptop.
    Some default users mean to be config examples were snake, pit, and satan....

    - Kurt

  20. Re: Slackware 13.0?

    Giovanni wrote:

    >Not really Friday 13th but quite close if you don mind the digits of
    >the being exchanged. Halloween is Friday 31st.

    And, as we all know, OCT 31 = DEC 25

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast