sda/hda confusion - Slackware

This is a discussion on sda/hda confusion - Slackware ; Hallo everyone, For add battery control, wifi and new features, I updated my kernel from 2.6.21 to 2.6.24.5, after several attempts I have successfully compiled it. At the start I had a kernel panic because sda is not recognized like ...

  1. sda/hda confusion

    Hallo everyone,

    For add battery control, wifi and new features, I updated my kernel
    from 2.6.21 to 2.6.24.5, after several attempts I have successfully
    compiled it. At the start I had a kernel panic because sda is not
    recognized like "root=" partition and the computer suggests me ( like
    fdsisk -l) to employ hda1(window$), hda2(linux), hda3(linux swap).
    Fortunately I have stayed in LILO a label named LINUX2 who is linked
    directly at my previous kernel's version. So I have started my
    previous version, but after I have modified all the /etc/lilo.conf
    voices from sda to hda, # lilo -v don't permit me to do that.
    Therefore I have thought that when I do in Slax live cd fdisk-l, it
    recognize me hda partitions and not sda like normally happen to my
    system. I have chrooted hda2 in telinit 3 and fdisk -l don't gave
    me results. so I have tried to edit /etc/lilo.conf from sda to hda,
    and lilo -v at last accept this change. So I have obviously restarted
    Linux with kernel 2.6.24.5, it goes without problem but almost at the
    end it says me to give e2fsck in root mode, and ask me for root
    password. I felt paralyzed because I have fear when Slackware says me
    to employs e2fsck, 'cause it could be the hd that is breaking, but I
    see that before the exhortation to adoperate e2fsck is displayed that
    the system don't find sda2....

    Sorry for my English, I hope that is better than previous times

  2. Re: sda/hda confusion

    On 2008-10-13, Ndrocchietto wrote:
    > Hallo everyone,
    >
    > For add battery control, wifi and new features, I updated my kernel
    > from 2.6.21 to 2.6.24.5, after several attempts I have successfully
    > compiled it. At the start I had a kernel panic because sda is not
    > recognized like "root=" partition and the computer suggests me ( like
    > fdsisk -l) to employ hda1(window$), hda2(linux), hda3(linux swap).
    > Fortunately I have stayed in LILO a label named LINUX2 who is linked
    > directly at my previous kernel's version. So I have started my
    > previous version, but after I have modified all the /etc/lilo.conf
    > voices from sda to hda, # lilo -v don't permit me to do that.
    > Therefore I have thought that when I do in Slax live cd fdisk-l, it
    > recognize me hda partitions and not sda like normally happen to my
    > system. I have chrooted hda2 in telinit 3 and fdisk -l don't gave
    > me results. so I have tried to edit /etc/lilo.conf from sda to hda,
    > and lilo -v at last accept this change. So I have obviously restarted
    > Linux with kernel 2.6.24.5, it goes without problem but almost at the
    > end it says me to give e2fsck in root mode, and ask me for root
    > password. I felt paralyzed because I have fear when Slackware says me
    > to employs e2fsck, 'cause it could be the hd that is breaking, but I
    > see that before the exhortation to adoperate e2fsck is displayed that
    > the system don't find sda2....
    >
    > Sorry for my English, I hope that is better than previous times

    This looks like there is a confusion between disk controllers.
    Are you using scsi or sata (or maybe even pata) disks, or are you using
    ide-disks?

    If you are using scsi or ata disks, you should use sda; if you are
    using ide disks you should be using hda.

    What does your 2.6.21 use as name for your disks? hda or sda? You should
    also use that one for your 2.6.24.5 kernel. And you should also include
    the proper drivers in your kernel to support that.

  3. Re: sda/hda confusion

    Hallo, Ndrocchietto,

    Du meintest am 13.10.08:

    > So I have obviously restarted Linux with kernel 2.6.24.5, it goes
    > without problem but almost at the end it says me to give e2fsck in
    > root mode, and ask me for root password.

    Don't worry.
    If you are in hurry just press "ctrl d" for a new start. Or you wait
    about 1 minute - then the machine reboots without any help.

    If it again tells this ugly story about "fsck" then please look at the
    lines before this message; somewhere you are told which partition makes
    problems (must not be the root partition).

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  4. Re: sda/hda confusion

    On Oct 14, 9:07 pm, Blikje Ham
    wrote:

    > This looks like there is a confusion between disk controllers.
    > Are you using scsi or sata (or maybe even pata) disks, or are you using
    > ide-disks?

    Like suggest me famous Italian usergroups,
    I have changed /etc/fstab sda2hda now it works well, but my system
    now terribly slow down;
    As soon as at boot the system load acpi.. it slacken
    irremediably.Furthermore vmware is not more charged, because vmware-
    config.pl can't compile
    successfully the new kernel. And the safe-previous kernel 2.6.21 don't
    work any more, when I boot it, the display tell me to launch e2fsck,
    because he don't find sda!
    Finally I noticed that just before that Slackware ask me to login,
    there are several recall for some sbin/......./gcc/..... is not a
    symbolic link. but maybe them rely to some previous update of
    gcc-...-...tgz

  5. Re: sda/hda confusion

    On Oct 14, 9:35 pm, hel...@hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote:
    >(...cut)

    Please see above, and both thanks for your attention

  6. Re: sda/hda confusion

    Hallo, Ndrocchietto,

    Du meintest am 13.10.08:

    > For add battery control, wifi and new features, I updated my kernel
    > from 2.6.21 to 2.6.24.5, after several attempts I have successfully
    > compiled it.

    Compiling is no problem. But the options may make some problems.

    > At the start I had a kernel panic because sda is not
    > recognized like "root=" partition and the computer suggests me (
    > like fdsisk -l) to employ hda1(window$), hda2(linux), hda3(linux
    > swap).

    I had to work some hours for a configuration of the kernel and the init-
    ramdisk ...

    My major machine has no SATA on board, no PCIexpress. But it has a SATA
    PCIcard. Without some special configurations the newer kernels first
    found the SATA card (and their HDs).

    You may try (and "optimize") the result:

    http://arktur.shuttle.de/CD/5.0/slack/ods8/lx262516.tgz

    It's designed for a schoolserver (a kind of special distribution) which
    uses LILO for booting - you should first look into the init ramdisk and
    the .config file, not just install the packet.

    ---------------

    By the way: it's no good idea to use "cpio" for the ramdisk. It seems to
    be at least very difficult to change the contents of such ramdisk file
    before installing: it expands with absolut pathes.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  7. Re: sda/hda confusion

    On Oct 15, 3:43 pm, hel...@hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote:
    > Hallo,Ndrocchietto,
    >
    > Du meintest am 13.10.08:
    >
    > > For add battery control, wifi and new features, I updated my kernel
    > > from 2.6.21 to 2.6.24.5, after several attempts I have successfully
    > > compiled it.

    > Compiling is no problem. But the options may make some problems.
    >
    > > At the start I had a kernel panic because sda is not
    > > recognized like "root=" partition and the computer suggests me (
    > > like fdsisk -l) to employ hda1(window$), hda2(linux), hda3(linux
    > > swap).

    > I had to work some hours for a configuration of the kernel and the init-
    > ramdisk ...
    >
    > My major machine has no SATA on board, no PCIexpress. But it has a SATA
    > PCIcard. Without some special configurations the newer kernels first
    > found the SATA card (and their HDs).
    >
    > You may try (and "optimize") the result:
    >
    > http://arktur.shuttle.de/CD/5.0/slack/ods8/lx262516.tgz
    >
    > It's designed for a schoolserver (a kind of special distribution) which
    > uses LILO for booting - you should first look into the init ramdisk and
    > the .config file, not just install the packet.

    Is to complex at moment for me, I will have before learning how to re-
    compile the kernel in a safe way

    > By the way: it's no good idea to use "cpio" for the ramdisk. It seems to
    > be at least very difficult to change the contents of such ramdisk file
    > before installing: it expands with absolut pathes.

    I used initrd ( I hope is related to cpio) for the reason that I have
    employed a pre-compiled package to update the kernel several month
    ago, today I feel more comfortable to manage
    a kernel and I will follow your counsel

    > "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    lovely

  8. Re: sda/hda confusion

    On Oct 15, 3:43 pm, hel...@hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote:

    > Hallo,Ndrocchietto,

    > Du meintest am 13.10.08:

    > > For add battery control, wifi and new features, I updated my kernel
    > > from 2.6.21 to 2.6.24.5, after several attempts I have successfully
    > > compiled it.

    > Compiling is no problem. But the options may make some problems.

    > > At the start I had a kernel panic because sda is not
    > > recognized like "root=" partition and the computer suggests me (
    > > like fdsisk -l) to employ hda1(window$), hda2(linux), hda3(linux
    > > swap).

    > I had to work some hours for a configuration of the kernel and the init-
    > ramdisk ...

    > My major machine has no SATA on board, no PCIexpress. But it has a SATA
    > PCIcard. Without some special configurations the newer kernels first
    > found the SATA card (and their HDs).

    > You may try (and "optimize") the result:

    > http://arktur.shuttle.de/CD/5.0/slack/ods8/lx262516.tgz

    > It's designed for a schoolserver (a kind of special distribution) which
    > uses LILO for booting - you should first look into the init ramdisk and
    > the .config file, not just install the packet.

    Is to complex at moment for me, I will have before learning how to
    re-
    compile the kernel in a safe way

    > By the way: it's no good idea to use "cpio" for the ramdisk. It seems to
    > be at least very difficult to change the contents of such ramdisk file
    > before installing: it expands with absolut pathes.

    I used initrd ( I hope is related to cpio) for the reason that I have
    employed a pre-compiled package to update the kernel several month
    ago, today I feel more comfortable to manage
    a kernel and I will follow your counsel

    > "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    lovely

  9. Re: sda/hda confusion

    On Oct 15, 3:43 pm, hel...@hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote:

    > Hallo,Ndrocchietto,
    > Du meintest am 13.10.08:
    > > For add battery control, wifi and new features, I updated my kernel
    > > from 2.6.21 to 2.6.24.5, after several attempts I have successfully
    > > compiled it.

    > Compiling is no problem. But the options may make some problems.
    > > At the start I had a kernel panic because sda is not
    > > recognized like "root=" partition and the computer suggests me (
    > > like fdsisk -l) to employ hda1(window$), hda2(linux), hda3(linux
    > > swap).

    > I had to work some hours for a configuration of the kernel and the init-
    > ramdisk ...
    > My major machine has no SATA on board, no PCIexpress. But it has a SATA
    > PCIcard. Without some special configurations the newer kernels first
    > found the SATA card (and their HDs).
    > You may try (and "optimize") the result:
    > http://arktur.shuttle.de/CD/5.0/slack/ods8/lx262516.tgz
    > It's designed for a schoolserver (a kind of special distribution) which
    > uses LILO for booting - you should first look into the init ramdisk and
    > the .config file, not just install the packet.

    Is to complex at moment for me, I will have before learning how to
    re-
    compile the kernel in a safe way

    > By the way: it's no good idea to use "cpio" for the ramdisk. It seems to
    > be at least very difficult to change the contents of such ramdisk file
    > before installing: it expands with absolut pathes.

    I used initrd ( I hope is related to cpio) for the reason that I have
    employed a pre-compiled package to update the kernel several month
    ago, today I feel more comfortable to manage
    a kernel and I will follow your counsel

    > "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

    lovely

  10. Re: sda/hda confusion

    On Oct 13, 2:43*pm, "Ndrocchietto |Sono un cattomassocomunista
    liberale a favore delle minoranze e delle maggiorate."
    wrote:
    > Hallo everyone,
    >
    > For add battery control, wifi and new features, I updated my kernel
    > from 2.6.21 to 2.6.24.5, after several attempts *I have successfully
    > compiled it. At the start I had a kernel panic because sda is not
    > recognized like "root=" *partition and the computer suggests me ( like
    > fdsisk -l) to employ * hda1(window$), hda2(linux), hda3(linux swap).
    > Fortunately I have stayed in LILO a label named LINUX2 who is linked
    > directly at my previous kernel's version. So I have started my
    > previous version, but after I have modified all the /etc/lilo.conf
    > voices *from sda to hda, # lilo -v don't permit me to do that.
    > Therefore I have thought that when I do in Slax live cd fdisk-l, it
    > recognize me hda partitions and not sda like normally happen to my
    > system. I have chrooted hda2 *in telinit 3 and fdisk -l * don't gave
    > me results. so I have tried to edit /etc/lilo.conf from sda to hda,
    > and lilo -v at last accept this change. So I have obviously restarted
    > Linux with kernel 2.6.24.5, it goes without problem but almost at the
    > end it says me to give e2fsck in root mode, and ask me for root
    > password. I felt paralyzed because I have fear when Slackware says me
    > to employs e2fsck, 'cause *it could be the hd that *is breaking, but I
    > see that before the exhortation to adoperate e2fsck is displayed that
    > the system don't find sda2....
    >
    > Sorry for my English, I hope that *is better than previous times

    I had a similar issue, try to add "hda=noprobe" in lilo.conf

  11. Re: sda/hda confusion

    On Oct 16, 9:57 pm, lore wrote:

    > I had a similar issue, try to add "hda=noprobe" in lilo.conf

    thank you for the interest, but if I add at boot hda=noprobe, I
    obtain Kernel Panic.

    My rtrue problem is that the system, since I have done the kernel
    update is irremediably slow down, is incredible, I have to wait
    minutes to open a gui, and
    even at login before that I type startx, also a simple command like ls
    is not fluent.

  12. Re: sda/hda confusion

    On 2008-10-20, Ndrocchietto wrote:
    > On Oct 16, 9:57 pm, lore wrote:
    >
    >> I had a similar issue, try to add "hda=noprobe" in lilo.conf

    > thank you for the interest, but if I add at boot hda=noprobe, I
    > obtain Kernel Panic.
    >
    > My rtrue problem is that the system, since I have done the kernel
    > update is irremediably slow down, is incredible, I have to wait
    > minutes to open a gui, and
    > even at login before that I type startx, also a simple command like ls
    > is not fluent.

    It looks like you misconfigured your kernel, big time.
    Try taking a look at the scheduler, and try to boot with a
    generic kernel. I don't know if it's possible to read out
    the drivers your kernel is using at the moment when they
    are not modules. But you can always check `dmesg`, `lspci` and
    `lsusb`.

    But in general I recommend starting with a generic-smp kernel, and
    stripping it down, bit by bit. Test it every time you took something
    big out. You don't want to change too much at a time, but you also
    don't want to reboot every time you remove a soundcard from your
    kernel.
    Always keep a backup of a working kernel.

  13. Re: sda/hda confusion

    On Oct 21, 7:05 am, Blikje Ham
    wrote:
    > On 2008-10-20, Ndrocchietto wrote:
    > > On Oct 16, 9:57 pm, lore wrote:

    > >> I had a similar issue, try to add "hda=noprobe" in lilo.conf

    Thank you all, also to italian people that have written me directly
    specific hints, but at moment
    I would appreciate to know a couple of things
    First of all I wonder if I could copy easily the slax kernel in my /
    boot directory, because it works very well on my hardware!
    Second, I know is only my damned fault, in this *long* meantime
    without Linux I had employed another operative system and it is one
    that automatically install itself on the first partition..In fact when
    I bought my Acer/Laptop I reserved a little of space to $ system to
    play chess. For this raison in this days without space I has been
    constrained to employ a powerful and light tool to read AND WRITE my
    ext2 or ext 3 (I can't remember) partition to deposit several
    downloads. So maybe for this reason when I start now linux It always
    ask me for a e2fsck disk control, and it take very long time and
    don't
    goes to the login, because e2fsck blocks the boot process To be clear
    for strictly necessity matter I have employed from xp, p2p software to
    write in my beloved Slackware partition!
    Is normal that now I have problem to boot Linux?

+ Reply to Thread