Configure.help for 12.0 Missing - Slackware

This is a discussion on Configure.help for 12.0 Missing - Slackware ; Hello Slackware gurus. I want to trim down my vmlinuz-huge-2.6.21.5 manually and have got the kernel headers installed and gcc and all that, but there's no Configure.help file in the kernel sources. I searched kernel.org without any luck. Will you ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    Hello Slackware gurus.

    I want to trim down my vmlinuz-huge-2.6.21.5 manually and have got the kernel
    headers installed and gcc and all that, but there's no Configure.help file
    in the kernel sources.

    I searched kernel.org without any luck.

    Will you tell me where to find it?

    Thanks very much.

    John D.

  2. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

  3. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:56:58 GMT, John D. wrote:

    >Hello Slackware gurus.
    >
    >I want to trim down my vmlinuz-huge-2.6.21.5 manually and have got the kernel
    >headers installed and gcc and all that, but there's no Configure.help file
    >in the kernel sources.

    What error message are you seeing?

    Rather than trim down 2.6.21.5, why not start over with the latest
    stable kernel?

    >I searched kernel.org without any luck.

    Yes, searching for a non-existent file works like that, there is no
    Configure.help, why are you expecting to find one?

    Seems to me you need to read up on how to compile the kernel, jumping
    in as if it is simply another application source tree is no good at all.

    The kernel is special, different.

    Also, make sure your custom kernel has a different name suffix so you
    don't wipe out the distribution modules.

    To try, and be safe, I suggest something like, as user:

    $ mkdir kernel
    $ cd kernel
    $ cp -al /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5 linux-2.6.21.5-jd
    $ cd linux-2.6.21.5-jd
    $ cp /boot/config-huge-2.6.21.5 .config
    $ make oldconfig

    ### loop here

    $ make menuconfig # this is where you rip out stuff, customise the kernel,
    on first pass, change the version suffix string to have "-jd"
    $ make
    $ su
    # make modules_install && make install
    # version="2.6.21.5"
    # cp .config /boot/config-$version
    # cp System.map /boot/System.map-$version
    # cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-$version
    # vim /etc/lilo.conf # first pass only, add stanza for new kernel
    # lilo
    # reboot

    ### if it fails, reboot into slackware kernel and try again

    I use an '/sbin/installkernel/ to write the /boot files, you can grab
    it from: http://bugsplatter.id.au/bash/kernel/installkernel.txt and
    copy to /sbin/installkernel/ -- it is 2.4/2.6 compatible, I've yet to
    pull out the 2.4 stuff.

    And a sample /etc/lilo.conf for multi-boot:

    $ cat /etc/lilo.conf
    # /etc/lilo.conf for slackware-11.0 on deltree 2007-01-30
    #
    boot = /dev/hda
    root = /dev/hda2
    read-only
    compact
    lba32
    prompt
    timeout = 30

    default = 2.6.26.6a

    image = /boot/bzImage-2.6.26.6a
    label = 2.6.26.6a

    image = /boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.33.3
    label = slack-2.4.33.3

    other = /dev/hda1
    label = service

    other = /dev/hda3
    label = alt

    # end

    Further information try kernelnewbies

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  4. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

    > John D. wrote:
    >> Hello Slackware gurus.
    >>
    >> I want to trim down my vmlinuz-huge-2.6.21.5 manually and have got the kernel
    >> headers installed and gcc and all that, but there's no Configure.help file
    >> in the kernel sources.
    >>
    >> I searched kernel.org without any luck.
    >>
    >> Will you tell me where to find it?

    > You won't.

    http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/Doc...v=linux-2.4.22

    That is in .../Documentation/links for this kernel. I missed it before.

    > The old build system that was used in the 2.4 series went by
    > the wayside in 2.5. So you won't find that anymore. 2.6 and newer use a
    > new way for configuring the kernel. If you're trying to find
    > documentation for a configurable option, look for the Kconfig files in
    > a given directory in the kernel source tree.

    Like a lot of people I don't use KDE. And the "old build system" still works
    just fine. Lots of people on other groups and web forums say that.

    Someone's working on a bash script to take the Configure.help file's place
    as you read this.

    Thanks for your bad advice.

    I asked to talk to gurus here and I get KDE titsuckers and idiots instead.

    Don't expect to hear from me again. What a bunch of losers.

    John
    ~
    ~
    ~

  5. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    Grant wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:56:58 GMT, John D. wrote:
    >
    >>Hello Slackware gurus.
    >>
    >>I want to trim down my vmlinuz-huge-2.6.21.5 manually and have got the kernel
    >>headers installed and gcc and all that, but there's no Configure.help file
    >>in the kernel sources.

    > What error message are you seeing?

    ..../Documentation/:$ ls Configure.help
    /bin/ls: cannot access Configure.help: No such file or directory

    > Rather than trim down 2.6.21.5, why not start over with the latest
    > stable kernel?

    Why not just answer the question I asked?

    >>I searched kernel.org without any luck.

    > Yes, searching for a non-existent file works like that, there is no
    > Configure.help, why are you expecting to find one?

    /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/:$ grep -ir configure\.help .
    ../arch/sparc/kernel/head.S:/* For people who try sun4 kernels, even if Configure.help advises them. */
    ../Documentation/sound/oss/PAS16:from Configure.help, Riccardo Facchetti for stuff from README.OSS,
    ../Documentation/sound/oss/PAS16:The following configuration options from Documentation/Configure.help
    ../Documentation/scsi/scsi_mid_low_api.txt:subsystems in the Documentation/Configure.help file. In the 2.6 series,
    ../Documentation/scsi/aic7xxx_old.txt: well documented in the file Documentation/Configure.help. In order to
    ../Documentation/scsi/aic7xxx_old.txt: the Configure.help file will then get automatically displayed.
    ../Documentation/scsi/ibmmca.txt: 'IBM SCSI support'. A help, added to Documentation/Configure.help
    ../Documentation/scsi/ChangeLog.ncr53c8xx: - Update the Configure.help driver section that speaks of TAGS.
    ../Documentation/scsi/ChangeLog.ncr53c8xx: - Update Configure.help
    ../Documentation/links:http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/Doc...v=linux-2.4.22

    Look at that! I missed that before. I guess that's what I neeed. I downloaded some other 2.6 kernel sources
    and they didn't have one either, so I guess you have to go back to the 2.4 file.

    ../fs/befs/ChangeLog:* Added Configure.help entries for CONFIG_BEFS_FS and CONFIG_DEBUG_BEFS
    ../fs/befs/ChangeLog: (Documentation/Configure.help)
    ../drivers/video/pm3fb.c: * Fri Apr 6 11:12:53 MET DST 2001, v 1.4.1: Configure.help, minor cleanup

    > Seems to me you need to read up on how to compile the kernel, jumping
    > in as if it is simply another application source tree is no good at all.

    I have been reading up on the kernel. And almost everything I've read tells me to look for
    the file .../Documentation/Configure.help in the kernel sources.

    Thanks for advice, but you really don't seem to have a clue, so I am hesitant to follow it.

    John

  6. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:43:04 GMT, John D. wrote:
    >I have been reading up on the kernel. And almost everything I've read tells me to look for
    >the file .../Documentation/Configure.help in the kernel sources.

    Only clueless newbies read outdated documentation.

    >Thanks for advice, but you really don't seem to have a clue, so I am hesitant to follow it.

    Yeah, right...

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  7. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:43:03 +0000, John D. wrote:

    > I asked to talk to gurus here and I get KDE titsuckers and idiots
    > instead.

    > Don't expect to hear from me again. What a bunch of losers.

    Could it be...? Has "Tom Newton" / "Sidney Lambe" thought up yet another
    posting name already?

    Sure sounds like him, doesn't it?

  8. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    On 2008-10-13, John D wrote:
    > Grant wrote:
    >> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:56:58 GMT, John D. wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello Slackware gurus.
    >>>
    >>>I want to trim down my vmlinuz-huge-2.6.21.5 manually and have got the kernel
    >>>headers installed and gcc and all that, but there's no Configure.help file
    >>>in the kernel sources.

    >> What error message are you seeing?

    > .../Documentation/:$ ls Configure.help
    > /bin/ls: cannot access Configure.help: No such file or directory

    You've already been told that it's no longer part of the kernel as
    of the 2.6.x series.

    >> Rather than trim down 2.6.21.5, why not start over with the latest
    >> stable kernel?

    > Why not just answer the question I asked?

    Why don't you stop wearing your ass for a hat?

    >>>I searched kernel.org without any luck.

    >> Yes, searching for a non-existent file works like that, there is no
    >> Configure.help, why are you expecting to find one?

    > /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/:$ grep -ir configure\.help .
    > ./arch/sparc/kernel/head.S:/* For people who try sun4 kernels, even if Configure.help advises them. */
    > ./Documentation/sound/oss/PAS16:from Configure.help, Riccardo Facchetti for stuff from README.OSS,
    > ./Documentation/sound/oss/PAS16:The following configuration options from Documentation/Configure.help
    > ./Documentation/scsi/scsi_mid_low_api.txt:subsystems in the Documentation/Configure.help file. In the 2.6 series,
    > ./Documentation/scsi/aic7xxx_old.txt: well documented in the file Documentation/Configure.help. In order to
    > ./Documentation/scsi/aic7xxx_old.txt: the Configure.help file will then get automatically displayed.
    > ./Documentation/scsi/ibmmca.txt: 'IBM SCSI support'. A help, added to Documentation/Configure.help
    > ./Documentation/scsi/ChangeLog.ncr53c8xx: - Update the Configure.help driver section that speaks of TAGS.
    > ./Documentation/scsi/ChangeLog.ncr53c8xx: - Update Configure.help
    > ./Documentation/links:http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/Doc...v=linux-2.4.22
    >
    > Look at that! I missed that before. I guess that's what I neeed. I downloaded some other 2.6 kernel sources
    > and they didn't have one either, so I guess you have to go back to the 2.4 file.
    >
    > ./fs/befs/ChangeLog:* Added Configure.help entries for CONFIG_BEFS_FS and CONFIG_DEBUG_BEFS
    > ./fs/befs/ChangeLog: (Documentation/Configure.help)
    > ./drivers/video/pm3fb.c: * Fri Apr 6 11:12:53 MET DST 2001, v 1.4.1: Configure.help, minor cleanup

    Those are old outdated references to a file that no longer exists.
    I'd suggest sending patches to lkml, but on second thought, I won't.

    >> Seems to me you need to read up on how to compile the kernel, jumping
    >> in as if it is simply another application source tree is no good at all.

    > I have been reading up on the kernel. And almost everything I've read tells me to look for
    > the file .../Documentation/Configure.help in the kernel sources.
    >
    > Thanks for advice, but you really don't seem to have a clue, so I am hesitant to follow it.

    Projection, anyone?

    -RW

  9. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

  10. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  11. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2008, Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:43:03 +0000, John D. wrote:
    >
    >> I asked to talk to gurus here and I get KDE titsuckers and idiots
    >> instead.

    >> Don't expect to hear from me again. What a bunch of losers.

    > Could it be...? Has "Tom Newton" / "Sidney Lambe" thought up yet another
    > posting name already?
    >
    > Sure sounds like him, doesn't it?

    It does.

    Not the original post, but the retort. That sense of "I'm more Slackware
    than you" juxtaposed with "I need help".

    Michael

  12. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 05:00:52 +0000, Robby Workman sprout:

    >> Thanks for advice, but you really don't seem to have a clue, so I am
    >> hesitant to follow it.

    > Projection, anyone?

  13. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:43:03 +0000, John D. wrote:

    > Thanks for your bad advice.
    >
    > I asked to talk to gurus here and I get KDE titsuckers and idiots instead.

    Wow. I can see that you'll be overwhelmed with help in this newsgroup
    from now on.

    > Don't expect to hear from me again. What a bunch of losers.

    Oh, some good news for once.
    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  14. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Chick Tower wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 00:43:03 +0000, John D. wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for your bad advice.
    >>
    >> I asked to talk to gurus here and I get KDE titsuckers and idiots instead.

    > Wow. I can see that you'll be overwhelmed with help in this newsgroup
    > from now on.
    >
    >> Don't expect to hear from me again. What a bunch of losers.

    > Oh, some good news for once.

    We can only hope Well at least until Alan/Tom's next alias change.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  15. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 09:12:42 +1000, Res wrote:

    >>> Don't expect to hear from me again. What a bunch of losers.

    >> Oh, some good news for once.

    > We can only hope Well at least until Alan/Tom's next alias change.

    That should read "Alan/Tom/Sidney/John"...

  16. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 18:29:37 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    >>> Oh, some good news for once.

    >> We can only hope Well at least until Alan/Tom's next alias change.

    >That should read "Alan/Tom/Sidney/John"...

    Nym lifetime shorter each time too?

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  17. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:10:40 +1100, Grant wrote:

    >>> We can only hope Well at least until Alan/Tom's next alias change.

    >>That should read "Alan/Tom/Sidney/John"...

    > Nym lifetime shorter each time too?

    Indeed. Hadn't noticed that, but certainly true.

  18. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    John D. wrote:

    > A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:
    >>
    >> John D. wrote:
    >>> Hello Slackware gurus.
    >>>
    >>> I want to trim down my vmlinuz-huge-2.6.21.5 manually and have got the
    >>> kernel headers installed and gcc and all that, but there's no
    >>> Configure.help file in the kernel sources.
    >>>
    >>> I searched kernel.org without any luck.
    >>>
    >>> Will you tell me where to find it?

    >> You won't.

    http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/Doc...v=linux-2.4.22

    > That is in .../Documentation/links for this kernel. I missed it before.
    >

    >> The old build system that was used in the 2.4 series went by
    >> the wayside in 2.5. So you won't find that anymore. 2.6 and newer use a
    >> new way for configuring the kernel. If you're trying to find
    >> documentation for a configurable option, look for the Kconfig files in
    >> a given directory in the kernel source tree.

    > Like a lot of people I don't use KDE. And the "old build system" still
    > works just fine. Lots of people on other groups and web forums say that.
    >
    > Someone's working on a bash script to take the Configure.help file's place
    > as you read this.
    >
    > Thanks for your bad advice.
    >
    > I asked to talk to gurus here and I get KDE titsuckers and idiots instead.
    >
    > Don't expect to hear from me again. What a bunch of losers.
    >
    > John
    > ~
    > ~
    > ~

    1) bash-3.1# find /usr/src/linux -name Kconfig
    2) pick one and read it
    3) kick yourself in the ass, hard
    4) quietly slink away, never to be heard from again

    --
    Old Man

    If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. -
    John Kenneth Galbraith

  19. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 20:05:12 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    >>>That should read "Alan/Tom/Sidney/John"...

    >> Nym lifetime shorter each time too?

    > Indeed. Hadn't noticed that, but certainly true.

    May I propose a sweepstake? The goal being to predict the next
    appearance, the alias to be used, and the duration of the stay.

  20. Re: Configure.help for 12.0 Missing

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Mark Madsen wrote:

    >>> Nym lifetime shorter each time too?

    >> Indeed. Hadn't noticed that, but certainly true.

    > May I propose a sweepstake? The goal being to predict the next
    > appearance, the alias to be used, and the duration of the stay.

    Do you win Bozo Points?

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast