pop3 and smtp - Slackware

This is a discussion on pop3 and smtp - Slackware ; I am fairly new to running slackware 12.1 and what my problem is is sending email smtp from my windows xp box. I can download mail no problem but when I try to send mail smtp my linux box times ...

  1. pop3 and smtp

    I am fairly new to running slackware 12.1 and what my problem is is
    sending email smtp from my windows xp box. I can download mail no problem
    but when I try to send mail smtp my linux box times out. I do know the
    basics of slackware but not all. MY MTA is sendmail and I was hoping some
    kind soul could help me in configuring my slackware box in sending and
    receiving my email from my xp email client. I can receive, but I can't
    send.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Bob
    mirader@zoso.net

  2. Re: pop3 and smtp

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:48:21 -0700, Bob wrote:

    >I am fairly new to running slackware 12.1 and what my problem is is
    >sending email smtp from my windows xp box. I can download mail no problem
    >but when I try to send mail smtp my linux box times out. I do know the
    >basics of slackware but not all. MY MTA is sendmail and I was hoping some
    >kind soul could help me in configuring my slackware box in sending and
    >receiving my email from my xp email client. I can receive, but I can't
    >send.

    Did you tell sendmail to use your ISP's smtp server for the first hop?

    /usr/share/sendmail/cf/cf/sendmail-slackware.mc --> SMART_HOST option.

    I'm running mixed slackware + windoze localnet and have win email go
    direct to ISP or google smtp depending on the account. But I'm also
    a beginner in sendmail setup. Others will add more cogent guidance.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  3. Re: pop3 and smtp

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:48:21 -0700, Bob wrote:

    > I am fairly new to running slackware 12.1 and what my problem is is
    > sending email smtp from my windows xp box. I can download mail no problem
    > but when I try to send mail smtp my linux box times out. I do know the
    > basics of slackware but not all. MY MTA is sendmail and I was hoping some
    > kind soul could help me in configuring my slackware box in sending and
    > receiving my email from my xp email client. I can receive, but I can't
    > send.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    > Bob
    > mirader@zoso.net

    I played around with sendmail this week. One thing that I found out is
    that relaying is disabled by default. This is a good idea from a security
    perspective. If you want the box to relay for specific hosts enter them in
    the file /etc/mail/access. If you change any files, then run "make" and
    restart sendmail.

    The log file /var/log/maillog is very readable and can help diagnose why
    mail is rejected, etc. It will show if your mail is hitting the smtp
    server you have set in your client application under Windows.

    --
    Douglas Mayne

+ Reply to Thread