Will Mozilla Firefox 3.0.x in Current Work in 12.1? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Will Mozilla Firefox 3.0.x in Current Work in 12.1? - Slackware ; Just wondering... will the Firefox 3.0.x package from -current work properly in an unadulterated 12.1? I mean, upgradepkg an all is well with the world or not quite. That's where the mplayerplugin is installed, Adobe Reader installed, all that sort ...

  1. Will Mozilla Firefox 3.0.x in Current Work in 12.1?

    Just wondering... will the Firefox 3.0.x package from -current work
    properly in an unadulterated 12.1? I mean, upgradepkg an all is well
    with the world or not quite. That's where the mplayerplugin is
    installed, Adobe Reader installed, all that sort of stuff or is a major
    rebuild of those necessary.

  2. Re: Will Mozilla Firefox 3.0.x in Current Work in 12.1?

    Thomas Ronayne wrote :

    > Just wondering... will the Firefox 3.0.x package from -current work
    > properly in an unadulterated 12.1?

    Yes. The Firefox package is just the binaries from mozilla.org that has
    been rebuild into a Slackware package.

    > I mean, upgradepkg an all is well with the world or not quite. That's
    > where the mplayerplugin is installed, Adobe Reader installed, all that
    > sort of stuff or is a major rebuild of those necessary.

    The directory /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14/plugins wont be erased by
    'upgradepkg' because of the plugins you've installed. So after the
    upgrade you can move those plugins to Firefox-3.0.3 by copying the
    content of this directory to /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: Will Mozilla Firefox 3.0.x in Current Work in 12.1?

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:32:42 -0400, Thomas Ronayne wrote:

    > Just wondering... will the Firefox 3.0.x package from -current work
    > properly in an unadulterated 12.1?

    No idea, but the firefox-3.0.3 tarball from ftp.mozilla.org works well.

  4. Re: Will Mozilla Firefox 3.0.x in Current Work in 12.1?

    Thanks for the advice -- got it, removed the previous package, installed
    it, seem to work just fine.

    Turns out there's a //usr/lib/mozilla/ directory that contains the
    /components/ and /plugins/ directories with all the plugins and that
    appears to be the place those get installed (maybe because /SeaMonkey/
    expects them there?) so I didn't need to copy anything from anywhere...
    all is well that ends.

+ Reply to Thread