updating slackware-11 packages from slack-12.1 source - Slackware

This is a discussion on updating slackware-11 packages from slack-12.1 source - Slackware ; Hi there, Slackware-11.0's whois program occasionally throws an error: $ whois 119.30.72.7 Unknown AS number or IP network. Please upgrade this program. So I tried something easier than installing from source. As root i performed these very few commands: # ...

  1. updating slackware-11 packages from slack-12.1 source

    Hi there,

    Slackware-11.0's whois program occasionally throws an error:

    $ whois 119.30.72.7
    Unknown AS number or IP network. Please upgrade this program.

    So I tried something easier than installing from source.

    As root i performed these very few commands:

    # cd /home/slack/slackware-12.1/source/n/whois/
    # ./whois.SlackBuild
    Moving whois-4.7.26-i486-1.tgz to /tmp...

    Package creation complete.

    # upgradepkg /tmp/whois-4.7.26-i486-1.tgz
    Package whois-4.7.15-i486-1 upgraded with new package /tmp/whois-4.7.26-i486-1.tgz.
    # rm -rf /tmp/whois-4.7.26*
    # cd

    and then:

    $ whois 119.30.72.7
    % [whois.apnic.net node-2]
    % Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

    inetnum: 119.30.64.0 - 119.30.127.255
    netname: LINKDOTNET
    descr: LINKdotNET Telecom Limited

    Me happy! Slackware good.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  2. Re: updating slackware-11 packages from slack-12.1 source

    http://www.linux.it/~md/software/

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  3. Re: updating slackware-11 packages from slack-12.1 source

    On 2008-10-10, Grant wrote:

    > # cd /home/slack/slackware-12.1/source/n/whois/
    > # ./whois.SlackBuild
    > Moving whois-4.7.26-i486-1.tgz to /tmp...
    >
    > Package creation complete.
    >
    > # upgradepkg /tmp/whois-4.7.26-i486-1.tgz
    >
    > Me happy! Slackware good.

    Yeah, I do that often with selected packages - rsync is the
    main one that comes to mind. It's easy to get spoiled on the
    features in newer rsync than what's shipped with older releases
    of Slackware.

    -RW

  4. Re: updating slackware-11 packages from slack-12.1 source

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:29:15 +1000 (EST), Res wrote:

    >http://www.linux.it/~md/software/

    Well yeah, but slack-12.1's
    $ whois --version
    Version 4.7.26.

    is close enough...

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  5. Re: updating slackware-11 packages from slack-12.1 source

    Hallo, Res,

    Du meintest am 10.10.08:

    >> Slackware-11.0's whois program occasionally throws an error:
    >>
    >> $ whois 119.30.72.7
    >> Unknown AS number or IP network. Please upgrade this program.

    > http://www.linux.it/~md/software/

    Just now it's unreachable, and slacky.eu too ...
    "linuxpackages.net" has only older versions.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  6. Re: updating slackware-11 packages from slack-12.1 source

    Hallo, Res,

    Du meintest am 10.10.08:

    >> Slackware-11.0's whois program occasionally throws an error:
    >>
    >> $ whois 119.30.72.7
    >> Unknown AS number or IP network. Please upgrade this program.

    > http://www.linux.it/~md/software/

    I shouldn't mix up "slacky.it" with "linux.it" ...

    The above URL leads to a "whois" link which leads to debian - why should
    I take a *.deb packet if I can get a slackware packet?

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  7. Re: updating slackware-11 packages from slack-12.1 source

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > Hallo, Res,
    >
    > Du meintest am 10.10.08:
    >
    >>> Slackware-11.0's whois program occasionally throws an error:
    >>>
    >>> $ whois 119.30.72.7
    >>> Unknown AS number or IP network. Please upgrade this program.

    >> http://www.linux.it/~md/software/

    > Just now it's unreachable, and slacky.eu too ...
    > "linuxpackages.net" has only older versions.

    Ah OK, I would be cautious using upstream version, as of 4.6.28. its
    mkpasswd is installed by default, typically into /usr/local/sbin
    this will conflict (kinda but not directly) with Slackwares 'shadow'
    package which puts mkpasswd into /usr/sbin, so anyone using upstream
    might want to manually copy whois binary into place rather than make
    isntall, I asked Marco WTF he is doing that and recommended it should be
    in its own package as its nothing to do with 'whois', of course I expect
    him to tell me to go places but we'll see...

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  8. Re: updating slackware-11 packages from slack-12.1 source

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008, Helmut Hullen wrote:

    >> http://www.linux.it/~md/software/

    > I shouldn't mix up "slacky.it" with "linux.it" ...
    >
    > The above URL leads to a "whois" link which leads to debian - why should
    > I take a *.deb packet if I can get a slackware packet?

    You dont have to get a .deb, there is tarball and even and rpm there, its
    just the debian ftp server is the main repo for it via ftp, I guess it was
    killing Marco's bandwith given its popularity, it used to be hosted on
    his site until recently

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  9. Re: updating slackware-11 packages from slack-12.1 source

    On 10 Oct 2008 08:37:00 +0200, helmut@hullen.de (Helmut Hullen) wrote:

    >The above URL leads to a "whois" link which leads to debian - why should
    >I take a *.deb packet if I can get a slackware packet?

    Look closer at who is the author of whois

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

+ Reply to Thread