Campcaster - Slackware

This is a discussion on Campcaster - Slackware ; My daughter left home and moved into the dorm, and I needed something to do. So, I decided to build my own website, get a name, hosting and finally set up an old Pentium II laptop to be my "transmitter" ...

  1. Campcaster

    My daughter left home and moved into the dorm, and I needed something to
    do. So, I decided to build my own website, get a name, hosting and
    finally set up an old Pentium II laptop to be my "transmitter"

    Used the shoutcast DSP for Linux and although the quality of sound was
    there, managing playlists was a bitch. No GUI, just the command line to
    build playlists on. OK, it worked, but also knew that Winamp and the
    shoutcast DNAS plug-in on win98 was as easy as a 19 yr old welfare mom.

    I'd rather be using linux for this project. Not that win98 is a bad
    thing, just that I THINK there's a better choice available for linux.
    I've heard of this program called Campcaster, and would really like to
    give it a try. Was going to post a request on the linuxpackages.net
    forums, but for whatever reason I cannot get past the spam questions to
    make an account there.

    So, if anyone out there can link me to a package, great! A Slackbuild
    would work too. Every time I try to compile something nothing seems to
    work. Granted my sum total of knowledge of compiling is configure make
    and make install. Dont have a clue beyond that point.

    Anyhow, here's a link to the Campcaster site

    http://www.campware.org/en/camp/campcaster_news/

  2. Re: Campcaster

    Leonard the Committed wrote:
    > So, if anyone out there can link me to a package, great! A Slackbuild
    > would work too.

    Why bother to find prebuilt packages for a program that is OpenSource? Why
    not simply download the source and build it yourself?

    > Every time I try to compile something nothing seems to
    > work. Granted my sum total of knowledge of compiling is configure make
    > and make install. Dont have a clue beyond that point.

    That might explain why you would prefer prebuilt packages, but if
    something goes wrong when the instructions in the INSTALL- or README-file
    was followed that should be a reason to ask why it went wrong.

    In my experience most software packages simply compile right out of the
    box on Slackware.

    A Slackbuild script is just another way to build programs from source.
    If you fail by building from source "by hand" because of some missing
    dependency also the Slackbuild script will fail.

    > Anyhow, here's a link to the Campcaster site
    >
    > http://www.campware.org/en/camp/campcaster_news/

    From your description that you need an alternative to shoutcast the above
    program does not seem to be what you are looking for. From the web-page:

    "Campcaster is an open source radio management application for use by both
    small and large radio stations (yes, real radio stations, not internet
    radio)"

    Do you really have a radio transmitter (AM or FM)?

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: Campcaster

    Hi,

    Leonard the Committed wrote:
    > So, if anyone out there can link me to a package, great! A Slackbuild
    > would work too.

    I agree with Henrik. If you're willing to spend a very small amount of
    time, there is an advantage to building a Slackbuild script yourself (or
    using makepkg directly. Basically, this gives you the ability to use
    "upgradepkg" if you have newer versions.

    Recently, I wanted to install the latest version of "twinkle" which did
    not have a Slackbuild script or a version of 'www.slacky.eu'. Anyway, I
    just copied and editied a different Slackbuild script:

    PRGNAM=twinkle
    PKGNAME=twinkle
    VERSION=1.3.2
    ARCH=${ARCH:-i486}
    BUILD=${BUILD:-1}
    TAG=${TAG:-_SBo}

    CWD=$(pwd)
    TMP=${TMP:-/tmp/SBo}
    PKG=$TMP/package-$PKGNAME
    OUTPUT=${OUTPUT:-/tmp}

    DOCS="AUTHORS COPYING ChangeLog INSTALL NEWS README TODO examples"

    if [ "$ARCH" = "i486" ]; then
    SLKCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i486 -mtune=i686"
    elif [ "$ARCH" = "i686" ]; then
    SLKCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -mtune=i686"
    elif [ "$ARCH" = "x86_64" ]; then
    SLKCFLAGS="-O2 -fPIC"
    fi

    rm -rf $PKG
    mkdir -p $TMP $PKG $OUTPUT
    cd $TMP || exit 1
    rm -rf $PKGNAME-$VERSION
    tar xvf $CWD/$PKGNAME-$VERSION.tar.gz || exit 1
    cd $PKGNAME-$VERSION || exit 1
    chown -R root:root .
    chmod -R a-s,u+rw,go-w+r .

    CFLAGS="$SLKCFLAGS" \
    CXXFLAGS="$SLKCFLAGS" \
    ./configure \
    --prefix=/usr \
    --sysconfdir=/etc \
    --localstatedir=/var \
    --enable-static=no \
    || exit 1

    make || exit 1
    make install-strip DESTDIR=$PKG || exit 1

    mkdir -p $PKG/usr/doc
    cp -a $DOCS $PKG/usr/doc/$PKGNAME-$VERSION
    cat $CWD/$PRGNAM.SlackBuild >
    $PKG/usr/doc/$PKGNAME-$VERSION/$PRGNAM.SlackBuild

    mkdir -p $PKG/install
    cat $CWD/slack-desc > $PKG/install/slack-desc

    cd $PKG
    /sbin/makepkg -l y -c n $OUTPUT/$PKGNAME-$VERSION-$ARCH-$BUILD$TAG.tgz

    It may not be perfect, but for my purposes, it provides me with a nice
    'tgz' that I was able to use to upgrade my previous installation, and
    I'll also have an easy time upgrading this again if I need to. Looking
    back through the 'configure' options, I probably should have made sure
    they were all necessary, as well as making sure that the list of files
    above were all required too!

    Regards,

    Richard

    --