    please, dont scare me that way ever again.

    S.

  2. Re: upgrade to latest -current gave me a heart attack

    On 2008-10-09, Simon Sibbez wrote:
    > cos the udevd symlinks in /sbin/ were gone, only the executables were
    > present. needless to say the system didn't boot and had me jumping
    > thru loops. offending package a/udev-128-i486-1.tgz

    mv /etc/rc.d/rc.udev.new /etc/rc.d/rc.udev

    For future reference, you simply *must* keep up to date with config
    file changes and such when tracking -current. You might consider
    doing: find /etc -name "*.new" -print

    -RW

  3. Re: upgrade to latest -current gave me a heart attack

    Simon Sibbez wrote:
    > needless to say the system didn't boot and had me jumping
    > thru loops. offending package a/udev-128-i486-1.tgz
    >
    > please, dont scare me that way ever again.

    If you have an important production server that you depend upon it might
    not be such a good idea to run current. Unless you want to be a beta
    tester you should stick to a stable version of Slackware.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  4. Re: upgrade to latest -current gave me a heart attack

    Robby Workman wrote:

    > On 2008-10-09, Simon Sibbez wrote:
    >> cos the udevd symlinks in /sbin/ were gone, only the executables
    >> were present. needless to say the system didn't boot and had me
    >> jumping thru loops. offending package a/udev-128-i486-1.tgz

    > mv /etc/rc.d/rc.udev.new /etc/rc.d/rc.udev

    *sigh*

    Yes, I did that in the meantime. I'm (too) used to hunting new config
    files while upgrading whole systems to a (new) stable version. Old
    habits are seldom named Bruce (sorry for the pun).

    Otoh, with udev128 and the "classic" symlinks the stuff works and even
    warns in logs (which I check waaay more thoroughly than checking for
    *.new pitfalls, obviously).

    udevadm[2901]: the program '/bin/bash' called '/sbin/udevtrigger', it
    should use 'udevadm trigger ', this will stop working in a
    future release

    Haven't had time to test how udev130 reacts to the symlink fun.

    > For future reference, you simply *must* keep up to date with config
    > file changes and such when tracking -current. You might consider
    > doing: find /etc -name "*.new" -print

    Yeah, I know the drill, but that one slapped me.

    S.

+ Reply to Thread