A couple of questions - Slackware

This is a discussion on A couple of questions - Slackware ; Having decided that I can't tolerate Ubuntu any longer no matter how wonderful apt-get is, I'm switching back to Slackware. As usual, I've encountered problems -- most self inflicted and most of the rest tractable. But there are a couple ...

  1. A couple of questions

    Having decided that I can't tolerate Ubuntu any longer no matter how
    wonderful apt-get is, I'm switching back to Slackware. As usual, I've
    encountered problems -- most self inflicted and most of the rest
    tractable. But there are a couple that I can't quite get my mind
    around even though I've worked around them.

    1. I tried every way I could think of to install Slackware 12.1 from
    iso files both on another partition and in the target partition
    without using the CDs both with the iso mounted at a mount point and
    with the iso mounted on the loopback device. In all cases, SETUP ran
    fine, started an install, and told me in about a minute that the
    installation was complete. As far as I can tell, nothing was
    installed in the target partition. I finally burned CDs and
    installed. Worked fine.

    2. For whatever reason, drivers for my RTL8139 NIC are not being
    installed. I enabled modprobe 8139too in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, but
    the NIC drivers still aren't installed. But when I added /etc/rc.d/
    rc.modules to rc.local and then called /tc/rc.d/rc.inet1 the network
    starts up fine. rc.modules isn't being called during boot? It's
    being called before something it depends on is configured?

    3. My usb mouse is dead. I suspect that everything usb is dead.
    lsusb doesn't produce any output and I don't see any sign of anything
    usb related in /proc. But I'm not sure where to look for usb in /proc
    when using a 2.6 kernel, and I know lsusb is broken in a number of
    releases including ubuntu.

    Anyone have any thoughts?

  2. Re: A couple of questions

    vtcodger wrote:

    > 2. For whatever reason, drivers for my RTL8139 NIC are not being
    > installed. I enabled modprobe 8139too in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, but
    > the NIC drivers still aren't installed. But when I added /etc/rc.d/
    > rc.modules to rc.local and then called /tc/rc.d/rc.inet1 the network
    > starts up fine. rc.modules isn't being called during boot? It's
    > being called before something it depends on is configured?

    It's called from /etc/rc.d/rc.S (on 12.1 at least). I would check to be
    sure it's executable, though I'm imagining that probably have done that.

    You might want to examine /etc/rc.d/rc.S for its comments surrounding
    rc.module, though. I expect that there's information there that might
    help.

    Do you have udev disabled? (see /etc/rc.d/rc.udev; should be
    executable)

    > 3. My usb mouse is dead. I suspect that everything usb is dead.
    > lsusb doesn't produce any output and I don't see any sign of anything
    > usb related in /proc.

    Do you have udev disabled?

    > But I'm not sure where to look for usb in /proc when using a 2.6
    > kernel, ...

    /proc/bus/usb/devices

    > Anyone have any thoughts?

    I hope the above helps ...

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  3. Re: A couple of questions

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:17:12 -0700 (PDT), vtcodger wrote:

    >... In all cases, SETUP ran
    >fine, started an install, and told me in about a minute that the
    >installation was complete. As far as I can tell, nothing was
    >installed in the target partition. I finally burned CDs and
    >installed. Worked fine.

    Yes, this is a slackware quirk, the instant install that didn't

    >2. For whatever reason, drivers for my RTL8139 NIC are not being
    >installed. I enabled modprobe 8139too in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, but
    >the NIC drivers still aren't installed. But when I added /etc/rc.d/
    >rc.modules to rc.local and then called /tc/rc.d/rc.inet1 the network
    >starts up fine. rc.modules isn't being called during boot? It's
    >being called before something it depends on is configured?

    Pay attention to the other file that specifies NIC.

    >3. My usb mouse is dead. I suspect that everything usb is dead.
    >lsusb doesn't produce any output and I don't see any sign of anything
    >usb related in /proc. But I'm not sure where to look for usb in /proc
    >when using a 2.6 kernel, and I know lsusb is broken in a number of
    >releases including ubuntu.

    rerun the mouse dialog (pkgtool) and try again, this time look more
    carefully and answer the question correctly?

    >Anyone have any thoughts?

    Every distro has it's quirks, you've just met some of slack's )

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  4. Re: A couple of questions

    vtcodger wrote:

    Thanks folks. I still don't understand the non-installs, but it
    doesn't really matter since I did eventually get an install. Looking
    through dmesg, I find that /etc/modules does seem to to be run by
    rc.S, but it apparently doesn't load the RT 8139 drivers. When I call
    it again later from rc.local, it does load the modules. Weird.

    As for usb. Turns out that if you plan to use usb devices, it is
    probably best not to specify nousb in your kernel options when booting
    Linux. Who could have known?

    > Having decided that I can't tolerate Ubuntu any longer no matter how
    > wonderful apt-get is, I'm switching back to Slackware. As usual, I've
    > encountered problems -- most self inflicted and most of the rest
    > tractable. But there are a couple that I can't quite get my mind
    > around even though I've worked around them.
    >
    > 1. I tried every way I could think of to install Slackware 12.1 from
    > iso files both on another partition and in the target partition
    > without using the CDs both with the iso mounted at a mount point and
    > with the iso mounted on the loopback device. In all cases, SETUP ran
    > fine, started an install, and told me in about a minute that the
    > installation was complete. As far as I can tell, nothing was
    > installed in the target partition. I finally burned CDs and
    > installed. Worked fine.
    >
    > 2. For whatever reason, drivers for my RTL8139 NIC are not being
    > installed. I enabled modprobe 8139too in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, but
    > the NIC drivers still aren't installed. But when I added /etc/rc.d/
    > rc.modules to rc.local and then called /tc/rc.d/rc.inet1 the network
    > starts up fine. rc.modules isn't being called during boot? It's
    > being called before something it depends on is configured?
    >
    > 3. My usb mouse is dead. I suspect that everything usb is dead.
    > lsusb doesn't produce any output and I don't see any sign of anything
    > usb related in /proc. But I'm not sure where to look for usb in /proc
    > when using a 2.6 kernel, and I know lsusb is broken in a number of
    > releases including ubuntu.
    >
    > Anyone have any thoughts?

  5. Re: A couple of questions

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 19:23:41 -0700, vtcodger wrote:

    > As for usb. Turns out that if you plan to use usb devices, it is
    > probably best not to specify nousb in your kernel options when booting
    > Linux. Who could have known?

+ Reply to Thread