Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup - Slackware

This is a discussion on Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup - Slackware ; A google search string: "alt.os.linux.slackware" OR "AOLS" site:slackware.com Results 1 - 3 of 3 from slackware.com for "alt.os.linux.slackware" OR "AOLS". (0.25 seconds) Search Results 1. Document: aaa_elflibs.txt # Purpose : Explain why Slackware's ... 26-Jan-2005 # # Based on the ...

  1. Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    A google search string:

    "alt.os.linux.slackware" OR "AOLS" site:slackware.com

    Results 1 - 3 of 3 from slackware.com for
    "alt.os.linux.slackware" OR "AOLS". (0.25 seconds)

    Search Results

    1. Document: aaa_elflibs.txt # Purpose : Explain
    why Slackware's ... 26-Jan-2005 # # Based on the
    usenet thread I answered: # http://groups-beta.
    google.com/group/alt.os.linux.slackware/browse_frm/thread/f2b5389
    7d1614b93 ... www.slackware.com/~mozes/docs/aaa_elflibs.txt - 5k
    - Cached - Similar pages

    2. The Slackware Linux Project: Frequently Asked
    Questions ... some places where you can get answers to
    your technical questions:. Linux Documentation Project .
    USENET newsgroups at Google (alt.os.linux.slackware) ...
    www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq.php?faq=general - 13k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    3. Wed Sep 17 02:28:20 CDT 2008
    patches/packages/bind-9.3.5_P2-i486 ... Thanks to Markus
    Stauffer and the folks on alt.os.linux.slackware for
    the heads- up. gnome/gnome-games-2.6.1-i486-3.tgz:
    Fix /usr/bin directory ownership. ...
    ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar.../ChangeLog.txt
    - 197k - Cached - Similar pages

    Only one even slightly notable mention of this newsgroup on the
    Slackware site, in the FAQ (2nd hit above):

    Q: Where can I get technical information?

    Here are some places where you can get answers to your technical questions:
    * Linux Documentation Project
    * USENET newsgroups at Google (alt.os.linux.slackware)

    With a link to the main page at googlegroups.
    And it's given lower billing than the LDP.

    As for the Markus Stauffer and AOLS reference in the 3rd hit, that
    fellow not only doesn't hang out on the Usenet:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...=2008&safe=off

    46 posts, total.

    But he's never posted on this newsgroup:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...=2008&safe=off

    So why doesn't slackware.com actively promote this newsgroup?
    And why doesn't Patrick Volkerding, the founder and owner and
    maintainer of Slackware, ever post here?

    ANSWER: Because so many of the regulars here are assholes who
    dominate this newsgroup with the virtual equivalent of schoolyard
    bullying. And some of them are usenet vermin of the lowest
    possible order, "trolls" who post using numerous names and spend
    most of their time abusing and harassing people.

    No way is he going to associate himself with this newsgroup. You
    are known by the company you keep.

    This group is often more of an embaressment to Slackware than anything else.

    And the assholes here drive more people away from Slackware than they
    entice to adopt it or help with it. Most Slackware users never post here.
    Most potential Slackware users read the group ("lurk") and decide they
    don't want to be abused by these assholes and move along to another
    distro.

    Sid

  2. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    Sidney Lambe wrote:
    > A google search string:
    >
    > "alt.os.linux.slackware" OR "AOLS" site:slackware.com
    >
    > Results 1 - 3 of 3 from slackware.com for
    > "alt.os.linux.slackware" OR "AOLS". (0.25 seconds)
    >
    > Search Results
    >
    > 1. Document: aaa_elflibs.txt # Purpose : Explain
    > why Slackware's ... 26-Jan-2005 # # Based on the
    > usenet thread I answered: # http://groups-beta.
    > google.com/group/alt.os.linux.slackware/browse_frm/thread/f2b5389
    > 7d1614b93 ... www.slackware.com/~mozes/docs/aaa_elflibs.txt - 5k
    > - Cached - Similar pages
    >
    > 2. The Slackware Linux Project: Frequently Asked
    > Questions ... some places where you can get answers to
    > your technical questions:. Linux Documentation Project .
    > USENET newsgroups at Google (alt.os.linux.slackware) ...
    > www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq.php?faq=general - 13k - Cached -
    > Similar pages
    >
    > 3. Wed Sep 17 02:28:20 CDT 2008
    > patches/packages/bind-9.3.5_P2-i486 ... Thanks to Markus
    > Stauffer and the folks on alt.os.linux.slackware for
    > the heads- up. gnome/gnome-games-2.6.1-i486-3.tgz:
    > Fix /usr/bin directory ownership. ...
    > ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar.../ChangeLog.txt
    > - 197k - Cached - Similar pages
    >
    > Only one even slightly notable mention of this newsgroup on the
    > Slackware site, in the FAQ (2nd hit above):
    >
    > Q: Where can I get technical information?
    >
    > Here are some places where you can get answers to your technical questions:
    > * Linux Documentation Project
    > * USENET newsgroups at Google (alt.os.linux.slackware)
    >
    > With a link to the main page at googlegroups.

    When it could just as well be a link straight to this newsgroup...

    Sid

    > And it's given lower billing than the LDP.
    >
    > As for the Markus Stauffer and AOLS reference in the 3rd hit, that
    > fellow not only doesn't hang out on the Usenet:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...=2008&safe=off
    >
    > 46 posts, total.
    >
    > But he's never posted on this newsgroup:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...=2008&safe=off
    >
    > So why doesn't slackware.com actively promote this newsgroup?
    > And why doesn't Patrick Volkerding, the founder and owner and
    > maintainer of Slackware, ever post here?
    >
    > ANSWER: Because so many of the regulars here are assholes who
    > dominate this newsgroup with the virtual equivalent of schoolyard
    > bullying. And some of them are usenet vermin of the lowest
    > possible order, "trolls" who post using numerous names and spend
    > most of their time abusing and harassing people.
    >
    > No way is he going to associate himself with this newsgroup. You
    > are known by the company you keep.
    >
    > This group is often more of an embaressment to Slackware than anything else.
    >
    > And the assholes here drive more people away from Slackware than they
    > entice to adopt it or help with it. Most Slackware users never post here.
    > Most potential Slackware users read the group ("lurk") and decide they
    > don't want to be abused by these assholes and move along to another
    > distro.
    >

    > Sid

  3. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    On 2008-10-06, Sidney Lambe wrote:

    > So why doesn't slackware.com actively promote this newsgroup?
    > And why doesn't Patrick Volkerding, the founder and owner and
    > maintainer of Slackware, ever post here?

    Probably because he'd be subject to seeing your worthless drivel.

    > ANSWER: Because so many of the regulars here are assholes who
    > dominate this newsgroup with the virtual equivalent of schoolyard
    > bullying. And some of them are usenet vermin of the lowest
    > possible order, "trolls" who post using numerous names and spend
    > most of their time abusing and harassing people.

    Seeing a mirror there?

    > No way is he going to associate himself with this newsgroup. You
    > are known by the company you keep.

    So go away and improve the company I'm keeping.

    > This group is often more of an embaressment to Slackware than anything else.

    and to your spelling skills, it seems.

    > And the assholes here drive more people away from Slackware than they
    > entice to adopt it or help with it. Most Slackware users never post here.

    There are at least three Slackware team members who post here on
    a somewhat regular basis, but I suppose facts and logic aren't
    going to convince you, are they? After all, nothing's changed since
    the last time I mentioned to you that "you can reason someone out of
    something they weren't reasoned into..."

    -RW

  4. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    Sidney Lambe wrote:

    > ANSWER: Because so many of the regulars here are assholes who
    > dominate this newsgroup with the virtual equivalent of schoolyard

    As a regular lurker of this group, and as a Slackware user for
    serious jobs, I think that you can go to others places for
    your bad speaking. Wash your mouth with soap, and good trip.

    --
    No sig available.

  5. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    Sidney Lambe wrote:

    > Most potential Slackware users read the group ("lurk") and
    > decide they don't want to be abused by these assholes and move along
    > to another distro.

    I dare say there's something wrong with you when you base your choice
    of distro on that.

    And we need assholes, just to keep the insult alive.

    S.

  6. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    Sidney Lambe wrote:

    > ANSWER: Because so many of the regulars here are assholes who
    > dominate this newsgroup with the virtual equivalent of schoolyard
    > bullying. And some of them are usenet vermin of the lowest
    > possible order, "trolls" who post using numerous names and spend
    > most of their time abusing and harassing people.

    What's the beef? Did Slackware run off with your missus or something?

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  7. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    Sidney Lambe wrote:
    > A google search string:

    Q: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    A: For the same reason the forums were shutdown - because of
    pathetic trolls such as yourself.

    - Kurt

  8. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    Sidney Lambe wrote:
    >ANSWER: Because so many of the regulars here are assholes who
    >dominate this newsgroup with the virtual equivalent of schoolyard
    >bullying. And some of them are usenet vermin of the lowest
    >possible order, "trolls" who post using numerous names and spend
    >most of their time abusing and harassing people.
    >
    >No way is he going to associate himself with this newsgroup. You
    >are known by the company you keep.
    >
    >This group is often more of an embaressment to Slackware than anything else.
    >
    >And the assholes here drive more people away from Slackware than they
    >entice to adopt it or help with it. Most Slackware users never post here.
    >Most potential Slackware users read the group ("lurk") and decide they
    >don't want to be abused by these assholes and move along to another
    >distro.

    Drama Queen.

  9. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:10:26 -0700, Sidney Lambe wrote:

    > This group is often more of an embaressment to Slackware than anything
    > else.

    You're an embarrassment to the human species, you ignorant ****ing whacko.
    Shouldn't you be out searching for Sasquatch? Did the mean bastards in
    the white coats stop your "field trips"?

    > And the assholes here drive more people away from Slackware than they
    > entice to adopt it or help with it. Most Slackware users never post
    > here. Most potential Slackware users read the group ("lurk") and decide
    > they don't want to be abused by these assholes and move along to another
    > distro.

    **** off, Alan Connor. Or is it Tom Newton? Oh, it's Sidney Lambe.

    Take your medicine, and go to bed, you worthless stooge.

    --
    "Sidney Lambe" ("Tom Newton") - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
    Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

  10. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    On 2008-10-06, Robby Workman wrote:

    > a somewhat regular basis, but I suppose facts and logic aren't
    > going to convince you, are they? After all, nothing's changed since
    > the last time I mentioned to you that "you can reason someone out of
    > something they weren't reasoned into..."

    And... just damn.

    Of course I make a mistake like that after poking fun at someone
    else's typing skills. For those who didn't catch it, that should
    read "you CAN'T reason someone out of something they weren't reasoned
    into..."

    -RW

  11. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    Robby Workman wrote:

    > On 2008-10-06, Robby Workman wrote:
    >
    >> a somewhat regular basis, but I suppose facts and logic aren't
    >> going to convince you, are they? After all, nothing's changed since
    >> the last time I mentioned to you that "you can reason someone out of
    >> something they weren't reasoned into..."

    > And... just damn.
    >
    > Of course I make a mistake like that after poking fun at someone
    > else's typing skills. For those who didn't catch it, that should
    > read "you CAN'T reason someone out of something they weren't reasoned
    > into..."

    But you can indeed. In fact, that's what makes this newsgroup so
    special and literally guarantees its special-case treatment.

    S.

  12. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    > And why doesn't Patrick Volkerding, the founder and owner and
    > maintainer of Slackware, ever post here?

    My best guess, and mind you, this is just a GUESS, is that he is A)
    maintaining a distro A) he is a member of a family A) he'd rather spend
    his time trading boobtlegs of burned out washed up hippie jam bands or
    finally, A) There's a reality TV show about Texas based UFO dommsday
    cults on right now.

  13. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    On Thu, 8 Oct 2008, Leonard the Committed wrote:

    > My best guess, and mind you, this is just a GUESS, is that he is A)
    > maintaining a distro A) he is a member of a family A) he'd rather spend
    > his time trading boobtlegs of burned out washed up hippie jam bands or
    > finally, A) There's a reality TV show about Texas based UFO dommsday
    > cults on right now.

    gawd..if you were Pat, would you associate with us bunch of misfits :P

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  14. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:10:26 -0700, Sidney Lambe wrote:

    > And why doesn't Patrick Volkerding, the founder and owner and maintainer
    > of Slackware, ever post here?

    The word "ever" means the statement can be disproved by a single counter-
    example, so the above statement is false. PV has posted here.
    Incredibly infrequently, but a non-zero number of times. GIYF.

  15. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    Res trolled:
    > On Thu, 8 Oct 2008, Leonard the Committed wrote:
    >
    >> My best guess, and mind you, this is just a GUESS, is that he is A)
    >> maintaining a distro A) he is a member of a family A) he'd rather spend
    >> his time trading boobtlegs of burned out washed up hippie jam bands or
    >> finally, A) There's a reality TV show about Texas based UFO dommsday
    >> cults on right now.

    > gawd..if you were Pat, would you associate with us bunch of misfits :P

    First of all, there is no "us" where you are concerned, doofus.
    Second, "Pat" is not gawd or God or anything else like that. And
    since you don't have to worship him, we have to ask you, why do you
    worship him so?

    cordially, even to the small fry,

    rm

  16. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 11:16:19 +0000, rm wrote:

    > cordially, even to the small fry,

    It lives!

    Dammit.

  17. Re: Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, Dan C wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 11:16:19 +0000, rm wrote:
    >
    >> cordially, even to the small fry,

    > It lives!
    >
    > Dammit.

    does it? SpamAssassin must be doing its job well then :P

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

+ Reply to Thread