How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0 - Slackware

This is a discussion on How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0 - Slackware ; I know how to burn a cd using cdrecord. But how do I burn a dvd given the same hardware? I have Slack-current in iso file form and I want to transfer it to the external media. For a cdr ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    I know how to burn a cd using cdrecord. But how do I burn a dvd given
    the same hardware?
    I have Slack-current in iso file form and I want to transfer it to the
    external media. For a cdr I use
    cdrecord dev=1001,0,0 foo.iso
    The drive is dvd-capable, read and write.

    John Culleton

  2. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 05:35:29 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > I know how to burn a cd using cdrecord. But how do I burn a dvd given
    > the same hardware?
    > I have Slack-current in iso file form and I want to transfer it to the
    > external media. For a cdr I use
    > cdrecord dev=1001,0,0 foo.iso
    > The drive is dvd-capable, read and write.

    man growisofs

    Or just use K3b (or some other burner app).

    Duh.

  3. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    Dan C wrote:

    > Or just use K3b (or some other burner app).

    I'll second that, K3B is the easy way to go, even I can manage
    it.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  4. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 05:35:29 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com sprout:

    > I know how to burn a cd using cdrecord. But how do I burn a dvd given
    > the same hardware?
    > I have Slack-current in iso file form and I want to transfer it to the
    > external media. For a cdr I use
    > cdrecord dev=1001,0,0 foo.iso
    > The drive is dvd-capable, read and write.

    if you really want/need/desire to do it on the command line here
    are the two fast ways I sometimes use:

    # the stunt way, no holds barred, nothing to stop an
    (under|over)flow, hence not really recommended if you
    don't occasionnaly need to have a chance to renew you
    collection of beermats ;-)

    $ dd if=yourimage.iso of=yourDVDdevice bs=
    example:
    $ dd if=slackcurrent.iso of=/dev/sr1 bs=2352

    (Note that I had no problem, so far, on a quiet machine
    with a quite correct hardware)

    # safe ways
    growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr1=yourimage.iso

    or even safer:
    growisofs -speed=4 -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr1=yourimage.iso

    (modify the file and device names as needed, your dvd
    device is most probably /dev/hdc)

  5. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 17:01:03 +0100, Two Ravens wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> Or just use K3b (or some other burner app).

    > I'll second that, K3B is the easy way to go, even I can manage it.

    I quite like graveman. This application is much smaller than the KDE
    things and seems to do all the things I want to do with it.

    JB

  6. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 20:04:44 +0200 (CEST), danube wrote:

    >On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 17:01:03 +0100, Two Ravens wrote:
    >
    >> Dan C wrote:
    >>
    >>> Or just use K3b (or some other burner app).

    >> I'll second that, K3B is the easy way to go, even I can manage it.

    >I quite like graveman. This application is much smaller than the KDE
    >things and seems to do all the things I want to do with it.

    Just a note from the dark side, I've never burned CD/DVD under linux,
    wimped out instead, and burn .iso over localnet on windoze box )

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  7. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Oct 5, 12:01 pm, Two Ravens wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    > > Or just use K3b (or some other burner app).

    > I'll second that, K3B is the easy way to go, even I can manage
    > it.
    > --
    > Two Ravens
    > "...hit the squirrel..."

    OK Iål give it a go. but in the meantime, while waiting for
    googlegroups to start working again,
    I tried a cdrecord -dummy etc. command and it told me the file (5.7
    gigs) was too big for any drive.

    Not that familiar with dvd devices. Is 5.7 gigs too big altogether?

    John Culleton

  8. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    In article <1e005cab-437e-4e30-8779-cc4641e873fc@p59g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >I know how to burn a cd using cdrecord. But how do I burn a dvd given
    >the same hardware?
    >I have Slack-current in iso file form and I want to transfer it to the
    >external media. For a cdr I use
    >cdrecord dev=1001,0,0 foo.iso
    >The drive is dvd-capable, read and write.

    Just use the same command.

    Make sure that you have the real cdrtools installed

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    The most recent version is 2.01.01a50

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  9. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:11:56 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com spewed forth:

    > I tried a cdrecord -dummy etc. command and it told me the file (5.7
    > gigs) was too big for any drive.
    >
    > Not that familiar with dvd devices. Is 5.7 gigs too big altogether?

    I ran into the same issue. I think this may be due to all the extra KDE4
    stuff in /testing. I tried burning it on a dual layer DVD (8 GiG
    capacity), but it would not boot correctly so I went for an NFS install of
    -current off my server. I'm interested to see if you have a similar
    problem. You will need to omit /testing if you want to fit it under 4.0
    GIG (capacity of single layer DVD's)

  10. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:11:56 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    > OK I'll give it a go. but in the meantime, while waiting for
    > googlegroups to start working again,
    > I tried a cdrecord -dummy etc. command and it told me the file (5.7
    > gigs) was too big for any drive.
    >
    > Not that familiar with dvd devices. Is 5.7 gigs too big altogether?

    By the very nature of these n00bish posts of yours, one must ask the
    obvious question: Do you really think you should be trying to run
    -current? Why do you think you need to run -current, anyway? What will
    it do for you that Slackware 12.1 won't?

  11. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    In article <628cd082-3c62-43a0-b69f-3d9bbc7d1d31@q5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    >OK I=E5l give it a go. but in the meantime, while waiting for
    >googlegroups to start working again,
    >I tried a cdrecord -dummy etc. command and it told me the file (5.7
    >gigs) was too big for any drive.
    >
    >Not that familiar with dvd devices. Is 5.7 gigs too big altogether?

    If you get a message like "too big for any drive", it does not look
    as if you used cdrecord.

    For more than 4 GB you need to use Dual Layer DVD media or BluRay media.

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

  12. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On 5 Oct 2008 21:21:06 GMT, js@cs.tu-berlin.de (Joerg Schilling) wrote:

    >In article <1e005cab-437e-4e30-8779-cc4641e873fc@p59g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
    >john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >>I know how to burn a cd using cdrecord. But how do I burn a dvd given
    >>the same hardware?
    >>I have Slack-current in iso file form and I want to transfer it to the
    >>external media. For a cdr I use
    >>cdrecord dev=1001,0,0 foo.iso
    >>The drive is dvd-capable, read and write.

    >Just use the same command.
    >
    >Make sure that you have the real cdrtools installed
    >
    >ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    Not into beta yet, after all these years?

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  13. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 07:15:40 +1100, Grant spewed forth:

    > Just a note from the dark side, I've never burned CD/DVD under linux,
    > wimped out instead, and burn .iso over localnet on windoze box )
    >
    > Grant.

    I'm just the oposite. I could never figure out how to copy or burn dvd's
    in windows so I always did it in linux with K3B. I could never figure out
    how to watch dvd's in windows either so I always watched in linux with
    mplayer or xine.

    I still need windows for work, but there are quite a few things I can say
    I can't live without linux for. Managing my camera/photos is another.
    Tagging mp3s is easier/better (for me) in linux as well.

  14. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 17:34:52 -0400, Franklin wrote:

    >On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:11:56 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com spewed forth:
    >
    >> I tried a cdrecord -dummy etc. command and it told me the file (5.7
    >> gigs) was too big for any drive.
    >>
    >> Not that familiar with dvd devices. Is 5.7 gigs too big altogether?

    >I ran into the same issue. I think this may be due to all the extra KDE4
    >stuff in /testing. I tried burning it on a dual layer DVD (8 GiG
    >capacity), but it would not boot correctly so I went for an NFS install of
    >-current off my server. I'm interested to see if you have a similar
    >problem. You will need to omit /testing if you want to fit it under 4.0
    >GIG (capacity of single layer DVD's)

    Or omit the source, don't need that on an install DVD, you'll need to
    loopback mount the downloaded iso image and write a script to build a
    new .iso image with some missing bits, script I have is:

    $ cat make-boot-dvd
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # build a slackware boot dvd, from isolinux/README.TXT
    #
    mkisofs -o /home/common/slackware-dvd.iso \
    -R -J -V "Slackware Install" \
    -x ./source \
    -hide-rr-moved \
    -v -d -N -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 32 -boot-info-table \
    -sort isolinux/iso.sort \
    -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
    -c isolinux/isolinux.boot \
    -A "Slackware Install DVD" .

    is called from slackware-* install tree root directory.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  15. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 08:58:54 +1100, Grant spewed forth:

    > Or omit the source, don't need that on an install DVD,

    You are correct. My main point was that "something" needed
    to be omitted from the iso iomage to fit it on one DVD.

    > you'll need to loopback mount the downloaded iso image and write a
    > script to build a new .iso image with some missing bits, script I have
    > is:
    >
    > $ cat make-boot-dvd
    > #!/bin/bash
    > #
    > # build a slackware boot dvd, from isolinux/README.TXT #
    > mkisofs -o /home/common/slackware-dvd.iso \
    > -R -J -V "Slackware Install" \
    > -x ./source \
    > -hide-rr-moved \
    > -v -d -N -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 32 -boot-info-table \
    > -sort isolinux/iso.sort \
    > -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
    > -c isolinux/isolinux.boot \
    > -A "Slackware Install DVD" .
    >
    > is called from slackware-* install tree root directory.
    >
    > Grant.

    I used the following from the isolinux directory:

    mkisofs -o /tmp/slackware-dvd.iso \
    -R -J -A "Slackware Install" \
    -hide-rr-moved \
    -v -d -N \
    -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
    -sort isolinux/iso.sort \
    -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
    -c isolinux/isolinux.boot \
    -V "SlackDVD" .

    The resulting iso was burned to DVD (dual layer) and would not boot
    correctly. Tried twice, made 2 coasters, and went with nfs install using
    the 12.1 CD1 to get things started.

  16. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    Grant wrote:

    > Not into beta yet, after all these years?

    Heh, and all these years, I haven't burned a single coaster with cdrecord....

    - Kurt

  17. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote :

    > Not that familiar with dvd devices. Is 5.7 gigs too big altogether?

    An ordinary DVD has room for 4.7GB, so yes 5.7GB is too big.
    --
    Thomas O.

  18. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 20:50:06 +0200, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    > john@wexfordpress.com wrote :
    >
    >> Not that familiar with dvd devices. Is 5.7 gigs too big altogether?

    > An ordinary DVD has room for 4.7GB, so yes 5.7GB is too big.

    It depends whether those are decimal or binary GB too, because it turns
    out that

    4.7 GB = 4.2 GB

    to a first approximation.

  19. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Oct 5, 5:47 pm, Dan C wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:11:56 -0700, j...@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > > OK I'll give it a go. but in the meantime, while waiting for
    > > googlegroups to start working again,
    > > I tried a cdrecord -dummy etc. command and it told me the file (5.7
    > > gigs) was too big for any drive.

    > > Not that familiar with dvd devices. Is 5.7 gigs too big altogether?

    > By the very nature of these n00bish posts of yours, one must ask the
    > obvious question: Do you really think you should be trying to run
    > -current? Why do you think you need to run -current, anyway? What will
    > it do for you that Slackware 12.1 won't?
    >
    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".
    > The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org

    The latest version of several graphical DTP packages require qt4 which
    is compatible with kde4.
    These include Scribus 1.3.5 and Inkscape 46.
    Kde4 comes with testing. So I want to set up a separate partition for
    current-testing for these apps.
    I prefer that to butchering up my work partition with upgrades to this
    and that.

    What I don´t need is 12.1. There is a bug in the video routines that
    causes freezes with Nvidia cards. Since there is no
    particular feature of 12.1 that I need I use my 12.0 partition. There
    is a patch to fix the video problem in 12.1 but I´ll just wait for the
    next major release.

    I very much appreciate the courtesy and helpfulness of most of the
    There are of course exceptions...

    John Culleton

  20. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Oct 6, 2:59 pm, Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 20:50:06 +0200, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
    > > j...@wexfordpress.com wrote :

    > >> Not that familiar with dvd devices. Is 5.7 gigs too big altogether?

    > > An ordinary DVD has room for 4.7GB, so yes 5.7GB is too big.

    > It depends whether those are decimal or binary GB too, because it turns
    > out that
    >
    > 4.7 GB = 4.2 GB
    >
    > to a first approximation.

    OK if I mount the iso file using the loop parameter, go to the mounted
    area, delete the kernel sources,
    the iso file should now be small enough to fit on a single layer DVD.
    One small problem. The mounted file system thinks it is read-only even
    though it is mounted rw.

    Given all that I will install 12.0 on the new partition, copy over the
    slackware directory from the mounted iso image,
    then follow the instructions in UPGRADE.TXT using upgradepkg etc.
    Anyone see any flaws in that?

    John C.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast