How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0 - Slackware

This is a discussion on How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0 - Slackware ; On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 08:06:48 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote: >> By the very nature of these n00bish posts of yours, one must ask the >> obvious question: Do you really think you should be trying to run >> -current? Why ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 08:06:48 -0700, john@wexfordpress.com wrote:

    >> By the very nature of these n00bish posts of yours, one must ask the
    >> obvious question: Do you really think you should be trying to run
    >> -current? Why do you think you need to run -current, anyway? What
    >> will it do for you that Slackware 12.1 won't?

    > The latest version of several graphical DTP packages require qt4 which
    > is compatible with kde4. These include Scribus 1.3.5 and Inkscape 46.
    > Kde4 comes with testing. So I want to set up a separate partition for
    > current-testing for these apps. I prefer that to butchering up my work
    > partition with upgrades to this and that.

    I see. I do seem to recall a recent thread in here regarding QT4, and
    that it could be installed completely alongside (seperately) QT3, with no
    ill effects, and quite easily. If you think it's easier to do a whole new
    install of -current, then have at it. You are mistaken, however.

    > What I donŽt need is 12.1. There is a bug in the video routines that
    > causes freezes with Nvidia cards.

    Nonsense. I've got 4 systems here (including this Sony laptop) with
    Nvidia cards in them, and NEVER ONCE have I had ANY of them freeze with
    video problems. Do you have the Nvidia driver loaded?

    > Since there is no particular feature of 12.1 that I need I use my 12.0
    > partition. There is a patch to fix the video problem in 12.1 but IŽll
    > just wait for the next major release.

    There is no "video problem" in 12.1.

  2. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote :

    > The mounted file system thinks it is read-only even though it is
    > mounted rw.

    It doesn't matter how the iso file is mounted, ISO 9660 is a read-only
    filesystem.
    --
    Thomas O.

  3. Re: How to burn a DVD on Slack 12.0

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 22:49:26 +0200, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

    >john@wexfordpress.com wrote :
    >
    >> The mounted file system thinks it is read-only even though it is
    >> mounted rw.

    >It doesn't matter how the iso file is mounted, ISO 9660 is a read-only
    >filesystem.

    John missed:
    http://groups.google.com.au/group/al...adc8fcde1f03fb ??

    I'm shattered... All those electrons twisted to my will gone to waste

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

+ Reply to Thread