Confession - Slackware

This is a discussion on Confession - Slackware ; Forgive me, Father Patrick, for I have sinned. I have commited the sin of unfaithfulness. Yes, I went out with another Linux distribution. I was seduced by her heavy makeup, flashy dresses, and sparkly jewelry. I did more than go ...

  1. Confession

    Forgive me, Father Patrick, for I have sinned.

    I have commited the sin of unfaithfulness.

    Yes, I went out with another Linux distribution.

    I was seduced by her heavy makeup, flashy dresses, and sparkly jewelry.

    I did more than go out with her.

    I installed her in the guest room, on my file server, defying the evil
    looks and wagging mouse of this laptop on which I type.

    But soon, after just one night, I found myself regretting my deed. I
    yearned for the elegant simplicity,

    + the rock-solid steadiness,

    + the calm of not constantly facing demands that I go shop for any piece
    of software I wanted in the repository because, under its fancy clothes,
    it was a shell empty of applications,

    + the ease of configuration of my first, certainly my only, Linux
    distribution.

    Slackware.

    After just one night, I ditched that hussy.

    Oh, I paid dearly. I paid.

    It took almost an hour (including test reboots) to get LISa and Samba
    working, to network to the printer on my son's Windows computer, to set up
    my firewall, configure KDE the way I like it, and get all my hard drives
    and the external CD writer into fstab.

    But Slackware took me back.

    I vow I shall never stray again.

    --
    Blogging from Pine View Farm (http://www.pineviewfarm.net)
    Updates daily. Worthwhile updates occasionally.

    Opera (http://www.opera.com), Fluxbox (http://www.fluxbox.org), and
    Slackware (http://www.slackware.com)--
    the ultimate internet experience.

  2. Re: Confession

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 16:28:32 -0400
    "Frank Bell" wrote:
    > I vow I shall never stray again.

    It's ok Frank, your only human.

  3. Re: Confession

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 16:28:32 -0400, Frank Bell wrote:

    > Forgive me, Father Patrick, for I have sinned.
    >
    > I have commited the sin of unfaithfulness.
    >
    > Yes, I went out with another Linux distribution.
    >
    > I was seduced by her heavy makeup, flashy dresses, and sparkly jewelry.
    >
    > I did more than go out with her.
    >
    > I installed her in the guest room, on my file server, defying the evil
    > looks and wagging mouse of this laptop on which I type.
    >
    > But soon, after just one night, I found myself regretting my deed. I
    > yearned for the elegant simplicity,
    >
    > + the rock-solid steadiness,
    >
    > + the calm of not constantly facing demands that I go shop for any
    > piece of software I wanted in the repository because, under its fancy
    > clothes, it was a shell empty of applications,
    >
    > + the ease of configuration of my first, certainly my only, Linux
    > distribution.
    >
    > Slackware.
    >
    > After just one night, I ditched that hussy.
    >
    > Oh, I paid dearly. I paid.
    >
    > It took almost an hour (including test reboots) to get LISa and Samba
    > working, to network to the printer on my son's Windows computer, to set
    > up my firewall, configure KDE the way I like it, and get all my hard
    > drives and the external CD writer into fstab.
    >
    > But Slackware took me back.
    >
    > I vow I shall never stray again.

    it happens to the best of us

  4. Re: Confession

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 17:57:17 +0000, goarilla wrote:

    >> But Slackware took me back.
    >>
    >> I vow I shall never stray again.

    > it happens to the best of us

    And who would that be?

    ;-)

  5. Re: Confession

    Frank Bell wrote:
    > Forgive me, Father Patrick, for I have sinned.
    >
    > I have commited the sin of unfaithfulness.
    >
    > Yes, I went out with another Linux distribution.
    >
    > I was seduced by her heavy makeup, flashy dresses, and sparkly jewelry.

    More than the KDE that is part of the default install on Slackware?

    That isn't possible.

    The rest of this stupid post deleted.

    [delete]

    Sid

  6. Re: Confession

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:41:46 -0400, Mark Madsen
    wrote:

    > And who would that be?

    Thanks for the laugh. It's been a hard month. I needed a laugh.

    Here's the rest of the story.

    I still had Mandriva on my webserver, because, the first time I tried to
    install Slack 12.1 on it, it didn't work. (Oddly enough, I tried to
    upgrade that box from 10.2 to 11.0, then to 12.0, and it flat out refused
    to see the CDs--not just my CDs, but also Pat's.)

    After installing 12.1 the first time, I rebooted after the install, LILO
    loaded, then----nothing. It was like the kernal didn't load. Empty grey
    screen.

    So I went to LQ and grabbed Mandriva (I knew I didn't want Ubuntu--it's
    for a bleepin' webserver, and everything I do there needs root
    privileges. I don't want to have to type sudo over and over and over. I
    want to be able to su).

    Then Mandriva broke the box. It was running okay, but I had a SCSI disk
    in it with Windows NTFS from when that was a Windows Domain Server many
    years ago. I wanted to blow it away and make it ext3. As root, I entered
    "cfdisk" on the command line and got "Doh! What are you talking about?"

    Then I tried their fancy smancy "Configure Your Computer-->Local Drives"
    tool.

    All it did, after a half hour of struggling--half an hour, half a
    blankety-blank hour of trying to figure that graphical monstrosity out,
    and I know a little bit about computers--was move the bleedin' boot flag
    from hda1 to sda1, which, natch, had no OS on it.

    To add insult to injury, it wouldn't let me reformat the whole darned
    drive--I *think* that, because it was a left-over WinNT NTFS format,
    Mandriva thought there was a Windows OS on it (I don't have any dual boot
    computers) and wanted to hide the files (which were Linux files, BTW),
    rather than blow away the entire drive. And I think that, because it
    thought there was a Windows (hoick! ptui!) OS on it, it moved the boot
    flag to sda1.

    Reboot. Nada.

    At least it wasn't the Blue Screen of Death. It was white.

    Okay, thinks I, I'll reinstall this turkey.

    Wait a minute, thinks I, let's shove this Slack 12.1 CD straight from the
    Slackware Store in there and see what happens this time. Didn't work the
    first time, but the box can't get any more broke.

    Man, if a Slackware salesman--if there were such a thing--had been sitting
    there running a demo, you couldn't have asked for a smoother install. An
    hour after it was done, I had LISa and Samba working, I was networked to
    $$$$ printer jacked into my son's Windows box, I had the firewall going,
    and my website back up.

    All I have to do now is rescue my blog (all this reinstalling started when
    the mysql database developed a bad case of "I don't like you anymore") and
    I'll be fully functional tomorrow.

    I'm back to being all Slack and all happy.

    It always works, it never crashes, and it never ad libs.

    [EDITORIAL MODE ON]

    There is certainly a learning curve to Slack. Mostly google this, type
    that. None of it was complicated, just strange for a refugee from the
    world of DOS, Windows, and WinNT (what the heck is an "fstab" anyway?).

    When I started using Slack three and a half years ago, one of things that
    impressed me is how much Linux support is out there, from LQ to the Slack
    wiki to personal websites where users share their own experiences (I'm
    looking to set one of those up myself when I get some time) to this
    newsgroup, certain posters who reside in my "jerks" filter excepted.

    I've been doing Slack for slightly over three years. It took me less than
    an hour to get my webserver back up and fully functional, but there was
    three years of experience behind that. But that wasn't learning about
    Slack. It was learning about *nix.

    And, ya know what? it took me that long or more to become expert at DOS
    and Windows. Big deal.

    Frankly, Slack is easy. If you can google, read, and type, you can set it
    up.

    And it does what you tell it to.

    If I tell it to do the wrong thing, well, that's on me.

    [EDITORIAL MODE OFF]

    --
    Blogging from Pine View Farm (http://www.pineviewfarm.net)
    Updates daily. Worthwhile updates occasionally.

    Opera (http://www.opera.com), Fluxbox (http://www.fluxbox.org), and
    Slackware (http://www.slackware.com)--
    the ultimate internet experience.

  7. Re: Confession

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 15:05:44 -0400, Sidney Lambe
    wrote:

    > More than the KDE that is part of the default install on Slackware?

    Fancy graphical configuration tools.

    That don't work right.

    Fancy personalized wall paper.

    No software of consequence included--all on the repos.

    Oh, yeah.

    You have no sense of humor

    Good-bye.

    [Plonk]

    --
    Blogging from Pine View Farm (http://www.pineviewfarm.net)
    Updates daily. Worthwhile updates occasionally.

    Opera (http://www.opera.com), Fluxbox (http://www.fluxbox.org), and
    Slackware (http://www.slackware.com)--
    the ultimate internet experience.

  8. Re: Confession

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 20:35:46 -0400, "Frank Bell" wrote:

    >I still had Mandriva on my webserver, because, the first time I tried to
    >install Slack 12.1 on it, it didn't work. (Oddly enough, I tried to
    >upgrade that box from 10.2 to 11.0, then to 12.0, and it flat out refused
    >to see the CDs--not just my CDs, but also Pat's.)

    You're not alone, I have a laptop refused boot CD, just done a 12.1
    install from hard drive instead, updating from slack-11.0 but installed
    12.1 to its own partition, multiboot slack-11, win98, win2k + slack-12.1
    >All it did, after a half hour of struggling--half an hour, half a
    >blankety-blank hour of trying to figure that graphical monstrosity out,
    >and I know a little bit about computers--was move the bleedin' boot flag
    > from hda1 to sda1, which, natch, had no OS on it.

    Give me linux fdisk any day, or cfdisk if I must...
    >Frankly, Slack is easy. If you can google, read, and type, you can set it
    >up.

    Yup.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  9. Re: Confession

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 20:35:46 -0400, Frank Bell wrote:

    > I'm back to being all Slack and all happy.
    >
    > It always works, it never crashes, and it never ad libs.

+ Reply to Thread