Ecartis on Slackware - Slackware

This is a discussion on Ecartis on Slackware - Slackware ; Howdy folks! I've set up Ecartis on my Slack 12.1 server and the thing seems to just sit there like a dead fish. I know that mail is getting sent to the program: Aliases entry: #Aliases for mailing list brewers: ...

  1. Ecartis on Slackware

    Howdy folks!

    I've set up Ecartis on my Slack 12.1 server and the thing seems to just
    sit there like a dead fish. I know that mail is getting sent to the
    program:

    Aliases entry:
    #Aliases for mailing list
    brewers: "|/usr/local/list/ecartis -s munged"

    /var/log/maillog entry:
    Oct 1 12:32:26 geddy sm-mta[24592]: m91JWQMN024592:
    to="|/usr/local/list/ecartis -s brewers",
    ctladdr= (2/0), delay=00:00:00,
    xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, pri=31979, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent

    yet nothing is returned. Running Ecartis from the command line returns
    nothing as well and the Ecartis documentation is woefully inadequate
    IMHO. Is there some way I can force an error message to give me a
    starting point here?

    I know this group isn't likely to be the place for questions about
    Ecartis, but I gotta start somewhere eh?

    --
    There are two sides to every divorce: yours and the ****head's.

    www.websterscafe.com

  2. Re: Ecartis on Slackware

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Handover Phist wrote:

    > Aliases entry:
    > #Aliases for mailing list
    > brewers: "|/usr/local/list/ecartis -s munged"
    >
    > /var/log/maillog entry:
    > Oct 1 12:32:26 geddy sm-mta[24592]: m91JWQMN024592:
    > to="|/usr/local/list/ecartis -s brewers",
    > ctladdr= (2/0), delay=00:00:00,
    > xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, pri=31979, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
    >
    > yet nothing is returned. Running Ecartis from the command line returns
    > nothing as well and the Ecartis documentation is woefully inadequate
    > IMHO. Is there some way I can force an error message to give me a
    > starting point here?
    >
    > I know this group isn't likely to be the place for questions about
    > Ecartis, but I gotta start somewhere eh?

    In the main Ecartis directory there will be a log file ecartis.log
    you can change the verbosity of the error messages

    If not, locate your main ecartis.cfg and add:

    logfile = /where/you/want/it/ecartis.log
    (ensure user ecartis has write perms)
    debug = 5
    (or higher)

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  3. Re: Ecartis on Slackware

    Res :
    > On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Handover Phist wrote:
    >
    >> Aliases entry:
    >> #Aliases for mailing list
    >> brewers: "|/usr/local/list/ecartis -s munged"
    >>
    >> /var/log/maillog entry:
    >> Oct 1 12:32:26 geddy sm-mta[24592]: m91JWQMN024592:
    >> to="|/usr/local/list/ecartis -s brewers",
    >> ctladdr= (2/0), delay=00:00:00,
    >> xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, pri=31979, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
    >>
    >> yet nothing is returned. Running Ecartis from the command line returns
    >> nothing as well and the Ecartis documentation is woefully inadequate
    >> IMHO. Is there some way I can force an error message to give me a
    >> starting point here?
    >>
    >> I know this group isn't likely to be the place for questions about
    >> Ecartis, but I gotta start somewhere eh?
    >>

    > In the main Ecartis directory there will be a log file ecartis.log
    > you can change the verbosity of the error messages
    >
    > If not, locate your main ecartis.cfg and add:
    >
    > logfile = /where/you/want/it/ecartis.log
    > (ensure user ecartis has write perms)
    > debug = 5
    > (or higher)

    Done, and done a few hours ago. The config file is well commented. The
    log file hasn't been created though, so I'm stuck with no point of
    reference. I'm looking at possible issues:

    Encartis has no write permission on that directory?
    Is Encartis running with the same user permissions as Sendmail?
    Have I pooched something in the cfg that I am as yet unaware of?
    Does Encartis make use of the Nix syslog facility at all?
    Can I make Encartis toss an error to stdout or stderr?

    I'm kind of glad I went this route though. As mentioned in an earlier
    thread Mailman made me want to slit my throat. Encartis just makes me
    want to drink myself stupid. That makes it the lesser of two evils by a
    large sum.

    --
    That girl could suck the chrome off a bumper.

    www.websterscafe.com

  4. Re: Ecartis on Slackware

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Handover Phist wrote:

    >> logfile = /where/you/want/it/ecartis.log
    >> (ensure user ecartis has write perms)
    >> debug = 5
    >> (or higher)

    > Done, and done a few hours ago. The config file is well commented. The
    > log file hasn't been created though, so I'm stuck with no point of
    > reference. I'm looking at possible issues:

    I've done afew Ecartis instlals and tehy have all worked fine first go,
    dunno what you've done wrong.. read on

    > Encartis has no write permission on that directory?

    Why have you not put it all under one directory, such as
    /var/spool/ecartis, or /home/ecartis, and chown'd it ecartis.ecartis

    > Is Encartis running with the same user permissions as Sendmail?

    Never, ecartis runs as ecartis and must always do so.

    > Have I pooched something in the cfg that I am as yet unaware of?

    Hrmm, most likely not, sounds like perms if it wont even create the debug
    file

    > Does Encartis make use of the Nix syslog facility at all?
    > Can I make Encartis toss an error to stdout or stderr?

    No, because its designed to run as user, its part of security so it doesnt
    need anything fancy.

    > I'm kind of glad I went this route though. As mentioned in an earlier
    > thread Mailman made me want to slit my throat. Encartis just makes me
    > want to drink myself stupid. That makes it the lesser of two evils by a
    > large sum.

    hahaha

    How did you isntall it, tarball, or did you grab the RPM and use rpm2tgz ?
    Sounds like the former?

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  5. Re: Ecartis on Slackware

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:28:29 -0700, Handover Phist wrote:

    > Done, and done a few hours ago. The config file is well commented. The log
    > file hasn't been created though, so I'm stuck with no point of reference.
    > I'm looking at possible issues:

    I'm no expert, I've never run any server mail program, but perhaps you
    need to create the initial log file, i.e., "touch
    whateveryouwanttocallthefile.log", and then make sure it has the correct
    permissions. I have one program (the proxy server privoxy, I believe)
    that requires the log file to exist before the program can use it.

    --
    Chick Tower

    For e-mail: aols2 DOT sent DOT towerboy AT xoxy DOT net

  6. Re: Ecartis on Slackware

    Res :
    > On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Handover Phist wrote:
    >
    >>> logfile = /where/you/want/it/ecartis.log
    >>> (ensure user ecartis has write perms)
    >>> debug = 5
    >>> (or higher)

    >> Done, and done a few hours ago. The config file is well commented. The
    >> log file hasn't been created though, so I'm stuck with no point of
    >> reference. I'm looking at possible issues:

    > I've done afew Ecartis instlals and tehy have all worked fine first go,
    > dunno what you've done wrong.. read on
    >>
    >> Encartis has no write permission on that directory?

    > Why have you not put it all under one directory, such as
    > /var/spool/ecartis, or /home/ecartis, and chown'd it ecartis.ecartis

    I have. I compiled Ecartis, installed it in /usr/local/list, and chowned
    it list.list. I've created the list user and the list group.

    >> Is Encartis running with the same user permissions as Sendmail?

    > Never, ecartis runs as ecartis and must always do so.

    *Must*? I created the the user and group 'list' for ecartis to run as.

    >> Have I pooched something in the cfg that I am as yet unaware of?

    > Hrmm, most likely not, sounds like perms if it wont even create the debug
    > file

    Hm, I'll be looking at that this evening. Unfortunatly I've got no way
    to work on this from work.

    >> Does Encartis make use of the Nix syslog facility at all?
    >> Can I make Encartis toss an error to stdout or stderr?

    > No, because its designed to run as user, its part of security so it doesnt
    > need anything fancy.

    Okeedoke.

    >> I'm kind of glad I went this route though. As mentioned in an earlier
    >> thread Mailman made me want to slit my throat. Encartis just makes me
    >> want to drink myself stupid. That makes it the lesser of two evils by a
    >> large sum.

    > hahaha
    >
    > How did you isntall it, tarball, or did you grab the RPM and use rpm2tgz ?
    > Sounds like the former?

    Tarball from latest snapshot. I like havinf unreasonable amounts of
    control .

    --
    FREAK PRIDE

    www.websterscafe.com

  7. Re: Ecartis on Slackware

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Handover Phist wrote:

    > *Must*? I created the the user and group 'list' for ecartis to run as.

    It should be ecartis, if in doubt I have available a tarball with real
    make install function, http://kb.ausics.net/files/ecartis-1.0.0.tar.gz
    extract, 'make && make install' you no longer need to copy things into
    place, it will also create user/group if they dont exist. The Makefile
    for ecartis was written in 2000/2001, the official snapshots need to be
    updated with this Makefile, I'll look at that within the next week.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  8. Re: Ecartis on Slackware

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Chick Tower wrote:

    > I'm no expert, I've never run any server mail program, but perhaps you
    > need to create the initial log file, i.e., "touch
    > whateveryouwanttocallthefile.log", and then make sure it has the correct

    Nah, Ecartis will create it itself if not exist

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  9. Re: Ecartis on Slackware

    Res :
    > On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Handover Phist wrote:
    >
    >> *Must*? I created the the user and group 'list' for ecartis to run as.

    > It should be ecartis, if in doubt I have available a tarball with real

    I created the user and group ecartis for the proggy to run as, but the
    log file isn't created yet. It's definitely a user/group thing I think.
    How do I know what user the program is run as? If run by sendmail it
    should be run as the same user that sendmail runs as eh?

    > make install function, http://kb.ausics.net/files/ecartis-1.0.0.tar.gz
    > extract, 'make && make install' you no longer need to copy things into
    > place, it will also create user/group if they dont exist. The Makefile
    > for ecartis was written in 2000/2001, the official snapshots need to be
    > updated with this Makefile, I'll look at that within the next week.

    Innerestin that that hasn't been dealt with. Fire it my way if you find
    it. Just post and I'll send you my e-mail addy.

    --
    Anyone can make an omelet with eggs. The trick is to make one with
    none.

    www.websterscafe.com

  10. Re: Ecartis on Slackware

    On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Handover Phist wrote:

    >> make install function, http://kb.ausics.net/files/ecartis-1.0.0.tar.gz
    >> extract, 'make && make install' you no longer need to copy things into

    > Innerestin that that hasn't been dealt with. Fire it my way if you find

    I can't answer that, I often wondered, which is why I did something about
    it, Ecartis bascially does everything and has done for years, its very
    feature rich so really the only updates that appear are to correct known
    and verified buys etc, its more or less an install and forget because its
    reliable

    > it. Just post and I'll send you my e-mail addy.

    You can just grab the file off URL in the earlier post, the makefile in
    that has been made current, I have just not got around to pushing the
    patch to Rachel which I'll try do this weekend.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  11. Re: Ecartis on Slackware

    Hallo, Res,

    Du meintest am 03.10.08:

    >> *Must*? I created the the user and group 'list' for ecartis to run
    >> as.

    > It should be ecartis, if in doubt I have available a tarball with
    > real make install function, http://kb.ausics.net/files/ecartis-1.0.0.
    > tar.gz extract, 'make && make install' you no longer need to copy
    > things into place, it will also create user/group if they dont exist.

    Sure?
    I have found a debianized *.tar.gz (source) from 20060813 and an *.rpm
    from the same date (may be SuSE).

    The debianized source creates user and group with a postinst script. The
    *.rpm package doesn't (and seems not to create some needed directories
    etc.)

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  12. Re: Ecartis on Slackware

    Cor blimey, guvners, how do you do it? :-)

    Unpack. Edit Makefile. Build. Install files into a home directory.

    Ecartis Setup Process

    Ecartis needs its own user and group. Ecartis will try to lose root
    privileges if it has them. Otherwise, it has no idea what user or
    group to use. Use the setuid and setgid bits on the ecartis binary
    and change ownership on all Ecartis files, including the binary, so
    that they are ecartis user and group owned. I don't know if this
    actually makes any difference, but set the Ecartis user's home
    directory to the Ecartis root.

    Make everything except the Ecartis directory and the ecartis binary
    unreadable to anybody but Ecartis. Let everybody have read-execute on
    those two only. Mind the log - if you put it there, create it first,
    then set its permissions so Ecartis won't create a new, world-readable
    one (if you're really this paranoid, that is). If you'll use
    PantoMIME, create your web directory and give it traverse-read by your
    webserver and read-write-traverse by Ecartis.

    Cron can safely run a script as root to invoke /opt/ecartis/ecartis
    (or whatever) with the -procbounce and then the -procdigest (not both
    at the same time) options, once daily. Use "-help" for a full list of
    options. Use "-cheatsheet sheetfile.html" for a comprehensive summary
    of every single configuration option and its applicability in each
    configuration file.

    Create a shell script in your webserver's cgi-bin directory called
    lsg2.cgi that simply does "exec /opt/ecartis/ecartis -lsg2" (change as
    needed). In your Ecartis directory, create a directory named
    "SITEDATA" beneath the lists directory. Now you can support site
    passwords if desired and can configure lists from the web.

    Now you can create any lists you need with the -newlist parameter and
    set up the necessary aliases as directed. If you're using smrsh, go
    through the necessary contortions (namely, create a wrapper shell
    script to invoke Ecartis with all given options that is reachable by
    smrsh - don't try a symlink, it won't work). It'll be like:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec /opt/ecartis/ecartis $@

    Configure Ecartis by mucking about with the various files. I'm sure
    you know how it's done. Use your cheatsheet to guide you, and make
    use of the handy-dandy LSG2 configuration Edit List Config page from
    your web browser. Watch out for "choice" options - the only easy way
    to discover those is using the web, because the config file generator
    doesn't enumerate them (unfortunately). Bug? There's always the
    source, which anyway you want to spend some time reading to understand
    how stuff works in case of question.

    Test! You should now be able to ask ecartis@yourhost for
    "help" (subject or body, one command in the subject only and body
    ignored, or multiple in body). You can post to your list(s). You can
    browse to LSG2.

    Security: not foolproof, but it's the best you'll find for this kind
    of setup, and it's practical for most purposes. In particular, normal
    users could make new lists - not that that's going to hurt you or
    anything, not unless they're really determined to muck you up. The
    authentication mechanism is good!

    Performance: it's the MTA's problem. Tweak that. Postfix is
    generally accepted as the current Unix speed crown, though Xmailer is
    clearly faster.

    Enjoy your lean-'n'-mean Ecartis experience!

    Suggestions? If we can make this into a howto for beginners, I'm all
    for it.

    Cheers,
    Sabahattin

  13. Re: Ecartis on Slackware

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > Sure?
    > I have found a debianized *.tar.gz (source) from 20060813 and an *.rpm
    > from the same date (may be SuSE).
    >
    > The debianized source creates user and group with a postinst script. The

    debian is excluded from everything since they are well known to
    haack/butcher/customise everything they get their mits on, so who knows
    WTF they have done. The official snapshots do contain a debian folder with
    debian patches, and the root directory also contains an RPM spec file,
    debian and redhat are only two of a myriad of distros, the others dont
    always use .deb or .rpm, many use .tgz and .tar.gz, ie, real source files.
    there are official snapshots released in RPM, but not in .debs.

    > *.rpm package doesn't (and seems not to create some needed directories
    > etc.)

    No, the RPM will, IIRC, bail and tell you to create the user/group before
    building or running it, one of the two, it doesnt automatically create it,
    it of course could with little change.

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  14. Re: Ecartis on Slackware

    Sabahattin Gucukoglu :
    > Cor blimey, guvners, how do you do it? :-)

    Captured and saved! Ecartis has decided to speak to me now and has
    created a bouncing baby logfile. Thanks guys!

    --
    Hear about...
    the sultan who had ten wives, nine of them had it soft.

    www.websterscafe.com

  15. Re: Ecartis on Slackware

    > Cor blimey, guvners, how do you do it? :-)

    One thing, you do not need to create SITEDATA directory it is created for
    you automatically, and I've sent the updated makefile to Rachel so she can
    add it to snap, so all that psot is going to be irrelvant, or more to hte
    point it was irrelevant for 2 days before you psoted it

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

+ Reply to Thread