Servlet container, any tips? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Servlet container, any tips? - Slackware ; For my work (and out of interest) I want to do some R&D on Java-teritory, and for that I would like to have some means of running J2EE stuff on my server. I am thinking about setting up a servlet ...

  1. Servlet container, any tips?

    For my work (and out of interest) I want to do some R&D on
    Java-teritory, and for that I would like to have some means of running
    J2EE stuff on my server. I am thinking about setting up a servlet
    container on my Slackware server. An application server would be too
    much (since what I want can be established using Spring), and vanilla
    Apache server is no good.

    However, since Slackware doesn't come prepackaged with an app server
    (nor servlet container) I would like to know if there is anybody out
    there who has experience (and of whom I might learn any hints and tips)
    with servlet containers (and are there more available than Tomcat)?

    At the moment my system is on 11.0, but in the future (hopefully a not
    too long future) one of the later flavours (like 12.x) is planned.

    Thanks for the time,

    Cor

  2. Re: Servlet container, any tips?

    Cpt (aka Cor Takken) wrote:

    > For my work (and out of interest) I want to do some R&D on
    > Java-teritory, and for that I would like to have some means of running
    > J2EE stuff on my server. I am thinking about setting up a servlet
    > container on my Slackware server. An application server would be too
    > much (since what I want can be established using Spring), and vanilla
    > Apache server is no good.
    >
    > However, since Slackware doesn't come prepackaged with an app server
    > (nor servlet container) I would like to know if there is anybody out
    > there who has experience (and of whom I might learn any hints and tips)
    > with servlet containers (and are there more available than Tomcat)?
    >
    > At the moment my system is on 11.0, but in the future (hopefully a not
    > too long future) one of the later flavours (like 12.x) is planned.
    >
    > Thanks for the time,
    >
    > Cor

    What's wrong with tomcat? If you have trouble setting it up, look at my
    startup/shutdown script (below). Just remove the "jdpa" part if this is not
    for development/debugging. I run tomcat as a normal user so you may need to
    modify the path to tomcat as well.

    $cat `which tomcat`
    #!/bin/sh

    tomcat_start() {
    echo " ===== Starting tomcat with debugging enabled ===== "
    JAVA_OPTS="-server" ~/install/tomcat/bin/catalina.sh jpda start
    }

    tomcat_stop() {
    PID=`ps aux | grep java | grep tomcat | awk '{ print $2 }'`
    if [ "" != "$PID" ]; then
    ~/install/tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh
    for loop in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ; do
    if [ "" == "`ps --no-heading --pid $PID`" ]; then
    break
    fi
    sleep 1
    done
    if [ "" != "`ps --no-heading --pid $PID`" ]; then
    echo kill -s 9 $PID
    kill -s 9 $PID
    echo Sent signal 9 to tomcat process
    else
    echo Tomcat properly stopped
    fi
    else
    echo Tomcat not running
    fi
    }

    tomcat_restart() {
    tomcat_stop
    tomcat_start
    }

    case "$1" in
    'start')
    tomcat_start
    ;;
    'stop')
    tomcat_stop
    ;;
    'restart')
    tomcat_restart
    ;;
    *)
    tomcat_restart
    esac

  3. Re: Servlet container, any tips?

    Miguel De Anda wrote:
    [snip]

    > What's wrong with tomcat? If you have trouble setting it up, look at my
    > startup/shutdown script (below). Just remove the "jdpa" part if this is not
    > for development/debugging. I run tomcat as a normal user so you may need to
    > modify the path to tomcat as well.

    [snip usefull startscript]

    Oh I didn't say that there is anything wrong with tomcat, I was just
    wondering if there are alternatives.
    Thanks for the script, I will surely use it.

    Cor

+ Reply to Thread