firefox 3.0.3 install - Slackware

This is a discussion on firefox 3.0.3 install - Slackware ; I just downloaded, bunzip2'd, & untar'd firefox 3.0.3. README.txt points me to a webpage for installation instructions. But there are no instructions there for installation. The tarball has no configure, no makefile, nothing that I can see for installation. There ...

  1. firefox 3.0.3 install

    I just downloaded, bunzip2'd, & untar'd firefox 3.0.3. README.txt points
    me to a webpage for installation instructions. But there are no
    instructions there for installation. The tarball has no configure, no
    makefile, nothing that I can see for installation. There is an 'updater'
    program that is not a script, that requires:
    Usage: updater
    So I ran 'sudo updater /usr/bin 3000' with no result. What am I missing?
    '/usr/bin/firefox' remains a link to /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.4/firefox

    Thanks for your help.

  2. Re: firefox 3.0.3 install

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:22:28 -0500, Roland Latour wrote:

    > What am I missing?

    The common sense to tell people *where* you unpacked the tarball.

    > '/usr/bin/firefox' remains a link to /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.4/firefox

    If you unpacked the tarball in /usr/lib then you have a directory
    /usr/lib/firefox. Then

    cd /usr/bin
    ln -sf ../lib/firefox/firefox

  3. Re: firefox 3.0.3 install

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:22:28 -0500, Roland Latour wrote:

    > I just downloaded, bunzip2'd, & untar'd firefox 3.0.3. README.txt points
    > me to a webpage for installation instructions. But there are no
    > instructions there for installation. The tarball has no configure, no
    > makefile, nothing that I can see for installation. There is an 'updater'
    > program that is not a script, that requires:
    > Usage: updater
    > So I ran 'sudo updater /usr/bin 3000' with no result. What am I missing?
    > '/usr/bin/firefox' remains a link to /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.4/firefox
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    I see the release notes for 3.0.3 show some problem with saved passwords
    vs. 3.0.2. That probably accounts for the immediate bugfix release coming
    so quickly on the heals of the last release. I assume there will be a
    3.0.3 in -current shortly, but if you want to "Do it yourself," then
    perhaps this link will provide a hint:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...ff96007300c94a

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  4. Re: firefox 3.0.3 install

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:22:28 -0500, Roland Latour wrote:

    > I just downloaded, bunzip2'd, & untar'd firefox 3.0.3. README.txt points
    > me to a webpage for installation instructions. But there are no
    > instructions there for installation. The tarball has no configure, no
    > makefile, nothing that I can see for installation. There is an 'updater'
    > program that is not a script, that requires:
    > Usage: updater
    > So I ran 'sudo updater /usr/bin 3000' with no result. What am I missing?
    > '/usr/bin/firefox' remains a link to /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.4/firefox

    Nevermind. I saw another post that mentioned
    http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.1/
    which was news to me. Skipped the mozilla.org copy and got a tarball
    from that repository. I bet that works. Thanks anyway.

  5. Re: firefox 3.0.3 install

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:34:46 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:22:28 -0500, Roland Latour wrote:
    >> What am I missing?

    > The common sense to tell people *where* you unpacked the tarball.

    I always unpack a new tarball to a temporary directory. Then I can check
    for a readme, & ordinarily run './configure', 'make', then 'sudo make
    install'.

  6. Re: firefox 3.0.3 install

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:56:46 -0500, Roland Latour wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:34:46 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> The common sense to tell people *where* you unpacked the tarball.

    > I always unpack a new tarball to a temporary directory. Then I can check
    > for a readme, & ordinarily run './configure', 'make', then 'sudo make
    > install'.

    The firefox tarball contains no configure script or source code - unless
    one downloads the -source- tarball. It is already compiled and it belongs
    in a permanent location accessible to all users on the system.

  7. Re: firefox 3.0.3 install

    Roland Latour wrote:
    >I just downloaded, bunzip2'd, & untar'd firefox 3.0.3. README.txt
    >points me to a webpage for installation instructions.

    But this is my way of installing FF. There are many others like it, but
    this one is mine:

    1. unpack the tarball in /opt
    2. ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/local/bin/firefox

    and /usr/local/bin is in my path before /usr/bin.

    This way I don't disturb the official slack install and can still run
    it.

    -Beej

  8. Re: firefox 3.0.3 install

    In article ,
    Roland Latour wrote:

    > I just downloaded, bunzip2'd, & untar'd firefox 3.0.3. README.txt points
    > me to a webpage for installation instructions. But there are no
    > instructions there for installation. The tarball has no configure, no
    > makefile, nothing that I can see for installation.

    Looks like you got the binary tarball, not the source code.

    Mozilla's binary tarballs are designed to be run wherever you unpack
    them. No installation is necessary. Just cd into them and do ./firefox

    If you want to know how to make a proper Slackware package from
    Mozilla's binary tarballs, study Slackware's SlackBuild script for
    firefox.

    - M.

+ Reply to Thread