PXE boot server help please - Slackware

This is a discussion on PXE boot server help please - Slackware ; I have an old laptop (new to me) given from a friend of which the cdrom drive doesnt work. So I wanted to install slackware 12.1 using the PxE network. My main problem as far as i can see is ...

  1. PXE boot server help please

    I have an old laptop (new to me) given from a friend of which the cdrom
    drive doesnt work. So I wanted to install slackware 12.1 using the PxE
    network.

    My main problem as far as i can see is that i cant find the file
    pxelinux.0 or at least cant find out how to create it. All the sites I've
    looked at mention this file but I cant seem to find a working example.

    So far I have got a DHCP server working on my server and the PXE picks
    that up fine. It mentions at the end of the DHCP configuration file the
    fabled pxelinux.0

    The client then looks for the tftp server which is running on the same
    machine as the DHCP server but as far as i can tell the lack of the file
    indicated by DHCP (pxelinux.0)is my stumbling block.

    I have all (the first 4 ISO's) of the slack files on the root of hda1 and
    took care to maintain the directory structure so in my mind it should be
    just a case of getting the boot files via pxe to it then pointing it in
    the right direction for the setup.

    My server is .. (hold your shouts of GTFO noob please) is ubuntu 7.04, but
    i have used slack since 9.1, this is my fun machine and I enjoy the
    benefits of apt very much.

    Please help me get this machine up and running using PXE to boot slack
    12.1.

    All the best.

  2. Re: PXE boot server help please

    ODDity wrote:
    > I have an old laptop (new to me) given from a friend of which the cdrom
    > drive doesnt work. So I wanted to install slackware 12.1 using the PxE
    > network.
    >
    > My main problem as far as i can see is that i cant find the file
    > pxelinux.0 or at least cant find out how to create it. All the sites I've
    > looked at mention this file but I cant seem to find a working example.
    >
    > So far I have got a DHCP server working on my server and the PXE picks
    > that up fine. It mentions at the end of the DHCP configuration file the
    > fabled pxelinux.0
    >
    > The client then looks for the tftp server which is running on the same
    > machine as the DHCP server but as far as i can tell the lack of the file
    > indicated by DHCP (pxelinux.0)is my stumbling block.
    >
    > I have all (the first 4 ISO's) of the slack files on the root of hda1 and
    > took care to maintain the directory structure so in my mind it should be
    > just a case of getting the boot files via pxe to it then pointing it in
    > the right direction for the setup.
    >
    > My server is .. (hold your shouts of GTFO noob please) is ubuntu 7.04, but
    > i have used slack since 9.1, this is my fun machine and I enjoy the
    > benefits of apt very much.
    >
    > Please help me get this machine up and running using PXE to boot slack
    > 12.1.
    >
    > All the best.

    That appears to be the pxelinux configuration file. Here's a page you
    might find helpful:

    http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX

    Sid

  3. Re: PXE boot server help please

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:00:24 GMT, ODDity wrote:

    >I have an old laptop (new to me) given from a friend of which the cdrom
    >drive doesnt work. So I wanted to install slackware 12.1 using the PxE
    >network.
    >
    >My main problem as far as i can see is that i cant find the file
    >pxelinux.0 or at least cant find out how to create it. All the sites I've
    >looked at mention this file but I cant seem to find a working example.

    What of .../slackware-12.1/usb-and-pxe-installers/README_PXE.TXT ??

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  4. Re: PXE boot server help please

    ODDity wrote:
    > My main problem as far as i can see is that i cant find the file
    > pxelinux.0 or at least cant find out how to create it.

    /usr/lib/syslinux/pxelinux.0

    ciao Paolo

+ Reply to Thread