Firefox and fonts (again) - Slackware

This is a discussion on Firefox and fonts (again) - Slackware ; I'm posting a summary of the story so far for posterity. Sorry if this is a rerun, but I've been out of the Usenet circuit for a couple months. Firefox 3 Slackware 12.1 Theoretically, Liberation fonts are a drop-in replacement ...

  1. Firefox and fonts (again)

    I'm posting a summary of the story so far for posterity. Sorry if this
    is a rerun, but I've been out of the Usenet circuit for a couple months.

    Firefox 3
    Slackware 12.1

    Theoretically, Liberation fonts are a drop-in replacement for MS fonts,
    so why isn't Firefox 3 displaying them when a page asks for Arial in its
    CSS?

    $ fc-list | grep -i arial
    $

    Arial doesn't show up in the fc-list of fonts--because it's taken care
    of with pattern matching in the 60-liberation.conf file, perhaps?

    $ fc-match arial
    LiberationSans-Regular.ttf: "Liberation Sans" "Regular"

    There it is. Firefox apparently doesn't look for it this way.

    Anyway, the solution posted elsewhere (which works) is:

    1. install the MS fonts [1]
    2. remove the symlink /etc/fonts/conf.d/60-liberation.conf
    3. fc-cache -f

    That turns off the Liberation alias stuff, which makes me sad. But it
    allows the web pages that ask for Arial to look good again.

    What I still haven't found yet: is there a solution that allows FF to
    use the Liberation fonts when a page asks for Arial?

    -Beej

    [1] http://beej.us/slackware/msftfonts/

  2. Re: Firefox and fonts (again)

    Beej Jorgensen writes:

    > What I still haven't found yet: is there a solution that allows FF to
    > use the Liberation fonts when a page asks for Arial?
    >
    > -Beej

    I haven't tested this, but would font aliases do what you want?

    See man mkfontdir

    ,----
    | Font Name Aliases
    |
    | The file "fonts.alias", which can be put in any directory of the
    | font-path, is used to map new names to existing fonts, and should be
    | edited by hand. The format is two white-space separated columns, the
    | first containing aliases and the second containing font-name
    | patterns. Lines beginning with "!" are comment lines and are ignored.
    |
    | If neither the alias nor the value specifies the size fields of the font
    | name, this is a scalable alias. A font name of any size that matches this
    | alias will be mapped to the same size of the font that the alias resolves
    | to.
    |
    | When a font alias is used, the name it references is searched for in the
    | normal manner, looking through each font directory in turn. This means
    | that the aliases need not mention fonts in the same directory as the
    | alias file.
    |
    | To embed white space in either name, simply enclose it in double-quote
    | marks; to embed double-quote marks (or any other character), precede them
    | with back-slash:
    |

    | "magic-alias with spaces" "\"font name\" with quotes"
    | regular-alias fixed
    |
    | If the string "FILE_NAMES_ALIASES" stands alone on a line, each file-name
    | in the directory (stripped of its suffix) will be used as an alias for
    | that font.

    `----

    hth

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  3. Re: Firefox and fonts (again)

    Glyn Millington wrote:
    >I haven't tested this, but would font aliases do what you want?
    >
    >See man mkfontdir

    Isn't that legacy X stuff? Does fontconfig use it? Does FF use
    anything besides fontconfig?

    -Beej, obviously needs to do more research

  4. Re: Firefox and fonts (again)

    Beej Jorgensen writes:

    > Glyn Millington wrote:
    >>I haven't tested this, but would font aliases do what you want?
    >>
    >>See man mkfontdir

    > Isn't that legacy X stuff? Does fontconfig use it? Does FF use
    > anything besides fontconfig?
    >
    > -Beej, obviously needs to do more research

    You are not the only one!! You could well be right about my outdated
    info :-)

    There is a nice thread on some of this here - may be of some use?

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...n-12.1-640468/

    atb

    Glyn
    --