Backing up DVDs - Slackware

This is a discussion on Backing up DVDs - Slackware ; I am looking for an open source tool to back up DVDs reliably. I am aware of utilities like vobcopy and dvdbackup, but they frequently choke on some DVDs that seems to come with some copy protection mechanisms. Are there ...

  1. Backing up DVDs

    I am looking for an open source tool to back up DVDs reliably. I
    am aware of utilities like vobcopy and dvdbackup, but they frequently
    choke on some DVDs that seems to come with some copy protection
    mechanisms.

    Are there any open source tools that go beyond those two?

  2. Re: Backing up DVDs

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:45:19 -0400, Harold Weissman
    wrote:

    > I am looking for an open source tool to back up DVDs reliably. I
    > am aware of utilities like vobcopy and dvdbackup, but they frequently
    > choke on some DVDs that seems to come with some copy protection
    > mechanisms.

    You may have looked at this, but K3B-->Tools-->copy dvd?

    I have to say, I've never tried it with any discs with DRM.

  3. Re: Backing up DVDs

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:45:19 +0000, Harold Weissman wrote:

    > I am looking for an open source tool to back up DVDs reliably. I am
    > aware of utilities like vobcopy and dvdbackup, but they frequently choke
    > on some DVDs that seems to come with some copy protection mechanisms.
    >
    > Are there any open source tools that go beyond those two?

    k9copy.

    --
    Ann

  4. Re: Backing up DVDs

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:45:19 +0000 (UTC)
    Harold Weissman wrote:

    > I am looking for an open source tool to back up DVDs
    > reliably. I am aware of utilities like vobcopy and dvdbackup, but
    > they frequently choke on some DVDs that seems to come with some copy
    > protection mechanisms.
    >
    > Are there any open source tools that go beyond those two?

    If you are talking about ARccOS protected DVDs, vobcopy, nor any tool
    that uses vobcopy and just dvddecss won't work.

    Try to play the DVD first with either Mplayer or VLC. If one of these
    can play the DVD, it can be ripped.

    Both mplayer and vlc have options galore, but here's the basic command
    to simply dump the main title. Usually the menus and extras are rarely
    encrypted with ARccOS, so you can just use vobcopy on those parts. Then
    reconstruct with dvdauthor, dvdunauthor, DVDStyler, whatever....

    mplayer dvdnav:// -dumpstream -dumpfile

    vlc -I rc dvd:/dev/hda@1 --sout \
    "#standard{access=file,mux=ps,dst=movie.vob}"

    Both of the above work on DVD volumes with both ARccOS and RipGuard.

    dd_rescue can be used as well.

  5. Re: Backing up DVDs

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:45:19 +0000, Harold Weissman wrote:

    > I am looking for an open source tool to back up DVDs reliably. I am
    > aware of utilities like vobcopy and dvdbackup, but they frequently choke
    > on some DVDs that seems to come with some copy protection mechanisms.
    >
    > Are there any open source tools that go beyond those two?

    Thanks everybody for your reply. I got a big disappointment with
    k9copy - not only did it not succeed backing up a DVD that vobcopy dealt
    with flawlessly but, in addition of freezing up at 99% copied (the GUI
    became totally unresponsive, and I had to kill k9copy from the command
    line) it managed to unmount two USB sticks (I yet don't know with what
    consequences) I had mounted at the time.

  6. Re: Backing up DVDs

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 15:00:52 +0000 (UTC), Harold Weissman
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:45:19 +0000, Harold Weissman wrote:
    >
    >> I am looking for an open source tool to back up DVDs reliably. I am
    >> aware of utilities like vobcopy and dvdbackup, but they frequently choke
    >> on some DVDs that seems to come with some copy protection mechanisms.
    >>
    >> Are there any open source tools that go beyond those two?

    > Thanks everybody for your reply. I got a big disappointment with
    >k9copy - not only did it not succeed backing up a DVD that vobcopy dealt
    >with flawlessly but, in addition of freezing up at 99% copied (the GUI
    >became totally unresponsive, and I had to kill k9copy from the command
    >line) it managed to unmount two USB sticks (I yet don't know with what
    >consequences) I had mounted at the time.

    Why not use dd?

    dd if=/dev/name_of_dvd_device of=/path_to_backupfile/backupfile.img

    dd - convert and copy a file

    if=FILE
    read from FILE (or device) instead of stdin

    of=FILE
    write to FILE (or device) instead of stdout

    To write back the image to a blank dvd the dvd should be mounted at
    /dev/name_of_dvd_device

    then

    dd if=/path_to_backupfile/backupfile.img of=/dev/name_of_dvd_device

    You get an exact copy of the dvd, so should be no problem with any
    copy protection?

  7. Re: Backing up DVDs

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:40:37 +0200, Manuel Otto wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 15:00:52 +0000 (UTC), Harold Weissman
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:45:19 +0000, Harold Weissman wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am looking for an open source tool to back up DVDs reliably. I am
    >>> aware of utilities like vobcopy and dvdbackup, but they frequently
    >>> choke on some DVDs that seems to come with some copy protection
    >>> mechanisms.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any open source tools that go beyond those two?

    >> Thanks everybody for your reply. I got a big disappointment with
    >>k9copy - not only did it not succeed backing up a DVD that vobcopy dealt
    >>with flawlessly but, in addition of freezing up at 99% copied (the GUI
    >>became totally unresponsive, and I had to kill k9copy from the command
    >>line) it managed to unmount two USB sticks (I yet don't know with what
    >>consequences) I had mounted at the time.
    >>

    > Why not use dd?
    >
    > dd if=/dev/name_of_dvd_device of=/path_to_backupfile/backupfile.img
    >
    > dd - convert and copy a file
    >
    > if=FILE
    > read from FILE (or device) instead of stdin
    >
    > of=FILE
    > write to FILE (or device) instead of stdout
    >
    > To write back the image to a blank dvd the dvd should be mounted at
    > /dev/name_of_dvd_device
    >
    > then
    >
    > dd if=/path_to_backupfile/backupfile.img of=/dev/name_of_dvd_device
    >
    > You get an exact copy of the dvd, so should be no problem with any copy
    > protection?

    I thought that by doing that one would be copying the encrypted
    material, but not the keys. Is this wrong?

  8. Re: Backing up DVDs

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 20:57:01 +0000 (UTC), Harold Weissman
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:40:37 +0200, Manuel Otto wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 15:00:52 +0000 (UTC), Harold Weissman
    >> wrote:

    >>> Thanks everybody for your reply. I got a big disappointment with
    >>>k9copy - not only did it not succeed backing up a DVD that vobcopy dealt
    >>>with flawlessly but, in addition of freezing up at 99% copied (the GUI
    >>>became totally unresponsive, and I had to kill k9copy from the command
    >>>line) it managed to unmount two USB sticks (I yet don't know with what
    >>>consequences) I had mounted at the time.
    >>>

    >> Why not use dd?
    >>
    >> dd if=/dev/name_of_dvd_device of=/path_to_backupfile/backupfile.img
    >>
    >> dd - convert and copy a file
    >>
    >> if=FILE
    >> read from FILE (or device) instead of stdin
    >>
    >> of=FILE
    >> write to FILE (or device) instead of stdout
    >>
    >> To write back the image to a blank dvd the dvd should be mounted at
    >> /dev/name_of_dvd_device
    >>
    >> then
    >>
    >> dd if=/path_to_backupfile/backupfile.img of=/dev/name_of_dvd_device
    >>
    >> You get an exact copy of the dvd, so should be no problem with any copy
    >> protection?

    > I thought that by doing that one would be copying the encrypted
    >material, but not the keys. Is this wrong?

    I don't know anything on how this encryption works, with keys and
    such, but I guess those keys are on the dvd too?

    dd from device to file just copies entire disk to file, everything on
    it.

    dd from file to device just writes back all bytes.

  9. Re: Backing up DVDs

    Harold Weissman wrote :

    > I thought that by doing that one would be copying the encrypted
    > material, but not the keys. Is this wrong?

    I tried to make a backup of a copy protected CD using dd once, and it
    failed miserably.
    --
    Thomas O.

  10. Re: Backing up DVDs

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 23:32:46 +0200, Thomas Overgaard
    wrote:

    >Harold Weissman wrote :
    >
    >> I thought that by doing that one would be copying the encrypted
    >> material, but not the keys. Is this wrong?

    >I tried to make a backup of a copy protected CD using dd once, and it
    >failed miserably.

    Any idea why? Errormessages?

  11. Re: Backing up DVDs

    Manuel Otto wrote :

    > Any idea why?

    It was back in my dual-boot/dial-up days and I had a lexicon on a CD. Some
    program was installed and first time you ran it it asked for a
    serial. Later you had to have the CD in the drive when you used the
    lexicon and the program checked if it was the original CD.

    > Errormessages?

    Don't recall them.
    --
    Thomas O.

  12. Re: Backing up DVDs

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 23:02:22 +0200, Thomas Overgaard
    wrote:

    >Manuel Otto wrote :
    >
    >> Any idea why?

    >It was back in my dual-boot/dial-up days and I had a lexicon on a CD. Some
    >program was installed and first time you ran it it asked for a
    >serial. Later you had to have the CD in the drive when you used the
    >lexicon and the program checked if it was the original CD.

    Mysterious why it didn't work...

    >> Errormessages?

    >Don't recall them.

    Okay

  13. Re: Backing up DVDs

    On 2008-09-21, Harold Weissman wrote:
    > I am looking for an open source tool to back up DVDs reliably. I
    > am aware of utilities like vobcopy and dvdbackup, but they frequently
    > choke on some DVDs that seems to come with some copy protection
    > mechanisms.
    >
    > Are there any open source tools that go beyond those two?

    Don't think it's Opensource, but when I use DVDShrink under WINE,
    60% of the time it works every time.
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/
    In truth, I can't remember it EVER failing. You could use it as a backup
    if your preferred solutions don't make the grade.

    --
    Slackware 11.0, 2.6.20, K8M800 s754Sempron3100+, GF6200
    RLU #272755

+ Reply to Thread