When will Slackware offer Qt 4? - Slackware

This is a discussion on When will Slackware offer Qt 4? - Slackware ; I note that the latest current still has KDE 3.5.10 and Qt 3. Unfortunately several applications are up to Qt 4.4 or better. Is there any plan to go to Qt 4 with Slackware? Related question: Is KDE tied to ...

  1. When will Slackware offer Qt 4?

    I note that the latest current still has KDE 3.5.10 and Qt 3.
    Unfortunately several applications are up to Qt 4.4 or better. Is
    there any plan to go to Qt 4 with Slackware?

    Related question: Is KDE tied to a particular version of Qt? In
    other words could Qt 4 be included but still use KDE 3.5.10? I am
    aware of the many problems reported with KDE 4.0 and even KDE 4.1. And
    the KDE 4 interface as used on SuSe 11.0 seems dumb to me. Apparently
    it is copied form Vista or something.

    John Culleton

  2. Re: When will Slackware offer Qt 4?

    john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    > I note that the latest current still has KDE 3.5.10 and Qt 3.
    > Unfortunately several applications are up to Qt 4.4 or better. Is
    > there any plan to go to Qt 4 with Slackware?
    >
    > Related question: Is KDE tied to a particular version of Qt? In
    > other words could Qt 4 be included but still use KDE 3.5.10? I am
    > aware of the many problems reported with KDE 4.0 and even KDE 4.1. And
    > the KDE 4 interface as used on SuSe 11.0 seems dumb to me. Apparently
    > it is copied form Vista or something.

    Sometimes such packages appear in -current or under alien or
    elsewhere. I've never bothered to look; Qt 4 is easily compiled from
    the trolltech sources, and I frequently track their updates.

    Pull a package from
    http://trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt/x11

    and
    > ./configure
    > make
    > sudo make install

    Qt 4 installs parallel to Qt 3, so it won't affect KDE 3 at all.

    I agree it sometimes seems that noobs tried ruining KDE4 but have hope
    that things will improve as they iron the bugs out and fully implement
    the KDE3 features.

    - Daniel

  3. Re: When will Slackware offer Qt 4?

    D Herring wrote:
    > john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >> I note that the latest current still has KDE 3.5.10 and Qt 3.
    >> Unfortunately several applications are up to Qt 4.4 or better. Is
    >> there any plan to go to Qt 4 with Slackware?
    >>
    >> Related question: Is KDE tied to a particular version of Qt? In
    >> other words could Qt 4 be included but still use KDE 3.5.10? I am
    >> aware of the many problems reported with KDE 4.0 and even KDE 4.1. And
    >> the KDE 4 interface as used on SuSe 11.0 seems dumb to me. Apparently
    >> it is copied form Vista or something.

    > Sometimes such packages appear in -current or under alien or elsewhere.
    > I've never bothered to look; Qt 4 is easily compiled from the trolltech
    > sources, and I frequently track their updates.

    A little digging finds
    "KDE4 in -current /testing and other Slackware news "
    http://www.slackware.com/index.html

    So yes, Qt4 is in -current.

    - Daniel

  4. Re: When will Slackware offer Qt 4?

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 12:50:09 -0400, D Herring wrote:

    >A little digging finds
    >"KDE4 in -current /testing and other Slackware news "
    >http://www.slackware.com/index.html
    >
    >So yes, Qt4 is in -current.

    I've only got slack-current + KDE-4.1 in a VM at the moment, but it
    seems sluggish compared to slack-12.1 + KDE-3.5 in a similar VM.

    Both VMs are running with 2 CPU + 1GB memory (host is Q6600, 6GB).

    Things like simply moving a slider control are hesitant Me a little
    disappointed regarding performance -- but a new project has to get
    correctness first, then performance, maybe they'll boost performance
    in time -- still a bit raw.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  5. Re: When will Slackware offer Qt 4?

    D Herring schreef:
    > D Herring wrote:
    >> john@wexfordpress.com wrote:
    >>> I note that the latest current still has KDE 3.5.10 and Qt 3.
    >>> Unfortunately several applications are up to Qt 4.4 or better. Is
    >>> there any plan to go to Qt 4 with Slackware?
    >>>
    >>> Related question: Is KDE tied to a particular version of Qt? In
    >>> other words could Qt 4 be included but still use KDE 3.5.10? I am
    >>> aware of the many problems reported with KDE 4.0 and even KDE 4.1. And
    >>> the KDE 4 interface as used on SuSe 11.0 seems dumb to me. Apparently
    >>> it is copied form Vista or something.

    >> Sometimes such packages appear in -current or under alien or
    >> elsewhere. I've never bothered to look; Qt 4 is easily compiled from
    >> the trolltech sources, and I frequently track their updates.

    > A little digging finds
    > "KDE4 in -current /testing and other Slackware news "
    > http://www.slackware.com/index.html
    >
    > So yes, Qt4 is in -current.
    >
    > - Daniel

    Pat just dropped in on Freenode's ##slackware channel and when
    prompted told the audience "Slackware 12.2 will probably ship with KDE
    3.5.10".

    The new KDE4.1.1 (much more stable than the previous 4.1) is in the
    "/testing" directory of the slackware-current tree, which means it is
    not officially part of slackware-current. If you install
    slackware-current the usual way, you will get KDE 3.5.10.

    Eric

  6. Re: When will Slackware offer Qt 4?

    john@wexfordpress.com schreef:
    > I note that the latest current still has KDE 3.5.10 and Qt 3.
    > Unfortunately several applications are up to Qt 4.4 or better. Is
    > there any plan to go to Qt 4 with Slackware?
    >
    > Related question: Is KDE tied to a particular version of Qt? In
    > other words could Qt 4 be included but still use KDE 3.5.10? I am
    > aware of the many problems reported with KDE 4.0 and even KDE 4.1. And
    > the KDE 4 interface as used on SuSe 11.0 seems dumb to me. Apparently
    > it is copied form Vista or something.
    >
    > John Culleton

    If you don't want to compile Qt4 yourself (it takes quite some time) I
    have a pre-compile package here:
    http://slackware.org.uk/3rd-party/al...ackbuilds/qt4/ (for
    Slackware 12.0 as well as 12.1). It co-esists problem-free with Qt3. I
    needed a Qt4 package for the compilation of the new VLC for instance.

    And to answer your other question, yes KDE3 uses Qt3, KDE4 uses Qt4.

    Eric

+ Reply to Thread