Query about sendmail, is rx port 25 from isp ok? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Query about sendmail, is rx port 25 from isp ok? - Slackware ; Hi there, Been a long time but I finally got around to turning on the sendmail beast. Works for sending email too Bit of a surprise to find there were many thousands of emails queued up from the cron daemon, ...

  1. Query about sendmail, is rx port 25 from isp ok?

    Hi there,

    Been a long time but I finally got around to turning on the
    sendmail beast. Works for sending email too

    Bit of a surprise to find there were many thousands of emails
    queued up from the cron daemon, dunno where they were hidden
    but the sendmail job hogged over 30% of CPU for 20-30 minutes
    clearing that backlog, then I got to deleting the damn things
    unread through pine :/

    Sendmail's setup so outbound email is via ISP smtp server, but
    I didn't open port 25 to receive mail traffic (forgot).

    Now I notice ISP's 'relay03.mail-hub.dodo.com.au' wants to talk
    to my server's port 25, is this to be expected? What sort of
    connection rate limit should I put in place when opening this
    port?

    Thanks,
    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  2. Re: Query about sendmail, is rx port 25 from isp ok?

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:51:27 +1000, Grant wrote:

    >Now I notice ISP's 'relay03.mail-hub.dodo.com.au' wants to talk
    >to my server's port 25, is this to be expected? What sort of
    >connection rate limit should I put in place when opening this
    >port?

    More info, I setup the MX records to point at the googlemail
    service when I got this domain, so I'm not expecting to receive
    mail at the Internet facing machine here.

    Opened port 25 to 4/hour to ISP's cidr/16 only, see what gets
    logged next time they try to talk.

    Also see if other ppl scanning for open mail port these days.

    Got a terminal tailing /var/log/maillog and a firewall pretty
    printer running in another terminal -- now they'll wait until
    I'm not watching to tickle the port again?

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  3. Re: Query about sendmail, is rx port 25 from isp ok?

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:28:23 +1000, Grant wrote:

    >Got a terminal tailing /var/log/maillog and a firewall pretty
    >printer running in another terminal -- now they'll wait until
    >I'm not watching to tickle the port again?

    Mystery solved: ISP's daemon just wanted to say okay to the test
    message I sent a couple hours ago, I think, as their message ended:

    .... 'stat=Sent (OK id=1KgYGW-00007i-60)' with a 2 1/2 hour old
    timestamp

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  4. Re: Query about sendmail, is rx port 25 from isp ok?

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Grant wrote:

    > More info, I setup the MX records to point at the googlemail

    may god help you, coz nobody else will using them

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one. The game will never be over, because we're keeping the dream alive"
    -Freiheit

  5. Re: Query about sendmail, is rx port 25 from isp ok?

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 20:23:42 +1000 (EST), Res wrote:

    >On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Grant wrote:
    >
    >> More info, I setup the MX records to point at the googlemail

    >may god help you, coz nobody else will using them

    I dunno, the free Google Apps setup seems okay to me, what am I
    missing?

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/