Suggest to me a tool for line drawing - Slackware

This is a discussion on Suggest to me a tool for line drawing - Slackware ; Hi there, Say I want to convert or create this type of drawing # network topology # ````````````````` # ---------------- ------------ LAN # ( ) Phone | ADSL Modem | Machines # ( Big Bad Internet )--------| bridge | # ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

  1. Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    Hi there,

    Say I want to convert or create this type of drawing

    # network topology
    # `````````````````
    # ---------------- ------------ LAN
    # ( ) Phone | ADSL Modem | Machines
    # ( Big Bad Internet )--------| bridge |
    # ( ) Line | mode | 100-Base-T
    # ---------------- ------------ Switch -----
    # | -------| |
    # Public IP | $X_WORLD | -----
    # | | -----
    # ------------- | --| |
    # optional | ppp0/eth0 | --- | -----
    # second | | | \ |-- -----
    # localnet < - - - - - -| eth2 eth1|-----|/ /|-----| |
    # not | | | \ |-- -----
    # installed | Firewall | --- | -----
    # ------------- | --| |
    # | -----
    # | -----
    # -------| |
    # $X_LOCAL2 $X_LOCAL -----
    # 192.168.1.0/24
    #

    to a graphic line drawing, which tool/s should I be looking at?

    Needs snap-to-grid, text alignment, line-draw-to-orthogonal, colours,
    mouse-driven interactive. Destination would be a web page, so an
    image.png file output option. No complex layers, so not a CAD app.

    Been a long time since I used (windoze) drawing tools so I have no
    idea where to start looking with what's available on a slack-12.1
    install, or what I should download.

    Thanks,
    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  2. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing



    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Grant wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Say I want to convert or create this type of drawing


    Openoffice?
    We use it to create our topology maps


    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one. The game will never be over, because we're keeping the dream alive"
    -Freiheit

  3. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:19:44 -0400, Grant wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Say I want to convert or create this type of drawing


    If you have the Gnome libraries, get Dia or check whether it's already on
    your system.

    http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/

    Otherwise, use Kivio, which is part of KDE and should already be on your
    system, if you installed KDE.

    http://www.koffice.org/kivio/

    Neither program can convert ASCII art, so far as I know, but either one
    will allow you to recreate it as a flowchart or diagram.

    Frankly, I really like Dia, but I chose not to install Gnome this time
    around and I've been to lazy to go out and get libraries for Dia, so Kivio
    has been my fallback.

    I did this in Dia:

    http://www.pineviewfarm.net/weblog/?page_id=1992




  4. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    Grant wrote:

    > Say I want to convert or create this type of drawing
    > ...
    >
    > to a graphic line drawing, which tool/s should I be looking at?


    Xfig? It's what I've used in the past, though I admit it's been a few
    years. Still, it's really easy to use and you get results fast.

    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sylvain Robitaille syl@alcor.concordia.ca

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University
    Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  5. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
    > Xfig?


    I second xfig as a very good tool. For an xfig beginner used to other
    drawing programs the xfig user interface might seem a bit odd at first,
    but once you get the idea xfig is really quick, powerful and easy to use.

    regards Henrik
    --
    The address in the header is only to prevent spam. My real address is:
    hc3(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost


  6. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:19:44 +1000, Grant wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Say I want to convert or create this type of drawing
    >
    > # network topology
    > # `````````````````
    > # ---------------- ------------ LAN #
    > ( ) Phone | ADSL Modem | Machines # (
    > Big Bad Internet )--------| bridge | # ( )
    > Line | mode | 100-Base-T # ----------------
    > ------------ Switch ----- #
    > | -------| | # Public
    > IP | $X_WORLD | ----- #
    > | | ----- #
    > ------------- | --| | # optional |
    > ppp0/eth0 | --- | ----- # second |
    > | | \ |-- ----- # localnet < - - - - - -| eth2
    > eth1|-----|/ /|-----| | # not |
    > | | \ |-- ----- # installed | Firewall
    > | --- | ----- # -------------
    > | --| | #
    > | ----- #
    > | ----- #
    > -------| | # $X_LOCAL2 $X_LOCAL
    > ----- #
    > 192.168.1.0/24 #
    >
    > to a graphic line drawing, which tool/s should I be looking at?
    >
    > Needs snap-to-grid, text alignment, line-draw-to-orthogonal, colours,
    > mouse-driven interactive. Destination would be a web page, so an
    > image.png file output option. No complex layers, so not a CAD app.
    >
    > Been a long time since I used (windoze) drawing tools so I have no idea
    > where to start looking with what's available on a slack-12.1 install, or
    > what I should download.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Grant.


    You may consider me old-fashioned, or luddite, or whatever, but I would
    simply code up a Postscript file to do it.

  7. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    On 19 Sep 2008 14:59:09 GMT, ray wrote:

    ....
    >You may consider me old-fashioned, or luddite, or whatever, but I would
    >simply code up a Postscript file to do it.


    My imagination's not good enough to do that, want interactive

    I met a guy at uni years back who coded postscript, sounds interesting,
    apparently a very well designed virtual machine + language in there.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  8. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:19:44 +1000, Grant wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Say I want to convert or create this type of drawing

    ....
    > to a graphic line drawing, which tool/s should I be looking at?
    >
    > Needs snap-to-grid, text alignment, line-draw-to-orthogonal, colours,
    > mouse-driven interactive. Destination would be a web page, so an
    > image.png file output option. No complex layers, so not a CAD app.


    Since no-one else seems to have mentioned it, I would suggest Inkscape.
    It's comparable to Dia and Openoffice Draw and is pretty easy to begin
    using if you have used any other drawing package ever. It doesn't export
    PNG directly, but there are a range of tools that will read SVG and
    export to PNG. (Which could be as simple as using a screen capture
    utility to capture the window and save as PNG.)

  9. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    Mark Madsen wrote:

    > Since no-one else seems to have mentioned it, I would suggest Inkscape.


    Don't we frequently see reports here suggesting installation/dependancy
    problems with Inkscape?

    > ... could be as simple as using a screen capture utility to capture
    > the window and save as PNG. ...


    Ick! Horribly lossy conversion there. Why suffer that when tools that
    ship with Slackware and install automatically, and work out of the box
    will save directly to png?

    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sylvain Robitaille syl@alcor.concordia.ca

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University
    Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  10. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:46:23 +1000, Res wrote:

    >
    >
    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Grant wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Say I want to convert or create this type of drawing

    >
    > Openoffice?
    > We use it to create our topology maps
    >

    I hadn't tried Draw until today. It is very intuitive and easy to use. No
    big surprises, either, which is nice. I can definitely recommend it.

    I may still try Dia because version 0.96 is available for Dropline Gnome,
    the desktop environment that I use.

    --
    Douglas Mayne


  11. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    Grant wrote:
    >
    > Say I want to convert or create this type of drawing
    >
    > # network topology


    graphviz is a way to go, don't draw complex schematics by hand:
    http://www.graphviz.org/

    you can define your output format

    I have a small example online:
    http://www.baldar.de/pub/Netzwerkplan/dot/Knut.gif
    http://www.baldar.de/pub/Netzwerkplan/dot/Knut.pdf
    source file to create the small network plan
    http://www.baldar.de/pub/Netzwerkplan/dot/Knut.dot

    but, it's really good for _large_ plans

    I have some small scripts to convert the output from nmap and
    traceroute to create my initial source file.

    It's quite easy.

    cu Frank


    --
    Freunde hat man nur dort, wo man Schwaeche
    zeigen kann, ohne Staerke zu provozieren.

    Volker Kriegel

  12. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    On 2008-09-19, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:46:23 +1000, Res wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008, Grant wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>
    >>> Say I want to convert or create this type of drawing

    >>
    >> Openoffice?
    >> We use it to create our topology maps
    >>

    > I hadn't tried Draw until today. It is very intuitive and easy to use. No
    > big surprises, either, which is nice. I can definitely recommend it.
    >
    > I may still try Dia because version 0.96 is available for Dropline Gnome,
    > the desktop environment that I use.



    Last I checked, we had dia (plus dependencies) at SlackBuilds.org...

    -RW

  13. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:45:02 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:19:44 +1000, Grant wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Say I want to convert or create this type of drawing

    > ...
    >> to a graphic line drawing, which tool/s should I be looking at?
    >>
    >> Needs snap-to-grid, text alignment, line-draw-to-orthogonal, colours,
    >> mouse-driven interactive. Destination would be a web page, so an
    >> image.png file output option. No complex layers, so not a CAD app.

    >
    > Since no-one else seems to have mentioned it, I would suggest Inkscape.
    > It's comparable to Dia and Openoffice Draw and is pretty easy to begin
    > using if you have used any other drawing package ever. It doesn't
    > export PNG directly, but there are a range of tools that will read SVG
    > and export to PNG. (Which could be as simple as using a screen capture
    > utility to capture the window and save as PNG.)


    of course it can export to png, just select 'export to the bitmap' (or
    something like that) from the file menu.

    --
    i.

  14. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:21:39 +0000, Ivan Rajkovic wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:45:02 +0200, Mark Madsen wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:19:44 +1000, Grant wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>
    >>> Say I want to convert or create this type of drawing

    >> ...
    >>> to a graphic line drawing, which tool/s should I be looking at?
    >>>
    >>> Needs snap-to-grid, text alignment, line-draw-to-orthogonal, colours,
    >>> mouse-driven interactive. Destination would be a web page, so an
    >>> image.png file output option. No complex layers, so not a CAD app.

    >>
    >> Since no-one else seems to have mentioned it, I would suggest Inkscape.
    >> It's comparable to Dia and Openoffice Draw and is pretty easy to begin
    >> using if you have used any other drawing package ever. It doesn't
    >> export PNG directly, but there are a range of tools that will read SVG
    >> and export to PNG. (Which could be as simple as using a screen capture
    >> utility to capture the window and save as PNG.)

    >
    > of course it can export to png, just select 'export to the bitmap' (or
    > something like that) from the file menu.


    Thanks for the correction. It also taught me something, because it made
    me double-check the manual - the relevant bit is:

    http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MAN...l#File-Export-
    PNG

  15. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:50:42 +0000, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

    > Mark Madsen wrote:
    >
    >> Since no-one else seems to have mentioned it, I would suggest Inkscape.

    >
    > Don't we frequently see reports here suggesting installation/dependancy
    > problems with Inkscape?


    They must have slipped my memory.

    >> ... could be as simple as using a screen capture utility to capture the
    >> window and save as PNG. ...

    >
    > Ick! Horribly lossy conversion there.


    Depends on the size of your screen :-)

    > Why suffer that when tools that
    > ship with Slackware and install automatically, and work out of the box
    > will save directly to png?


    No reason, but it wasn't an actual recommendation, merely a boundary
    statement.

  16. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    Sylvain Robitaille wrote:

    > Mark Madsen wrote:
    >
    >> Since no-one else seems to have mentioned it, I would suggest Inkscape.

    >
    > Don't we frequently see reports here suggesting installation/dependancy
    > problems with Inkscape?


    I've never noticed any. Just search around linuxpackages or slacy or
    whereever and there will be a package that just works.

    Pete
    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  17. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    Peter Chant wrote:

    >> Don't we frequently see reports here suggesting
    >> installation/dependancy problems with Inkscape?

    >
    > I've never noticed any. Just search around linuxpackages or slacy or
    > whereever and there will be a package that just works.


    A quick review on Google suggests that it's primarily a problem with
    dependancies. I didn't mean to imply that there weren't packages out
    there, but that folks installing this software (from source or from
    packages) have reported trouble getting it working.

    --
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sylvain Robitaille syl@alcor.concordia.ca

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University
    Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

  18. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    On 2008-09-20 at 15:53 ADT, Sylvain Robitaille wrote:
    > Peter Chant wrote:
    >
    >>> Don't we frequently see reports here suggesting
    >>> installation/dependancy problems with Inkscape?

    >>
    >> I've never noticed any. Just search around linuxpackages or slacy or
    >> whereever and there will be a package that just works.

    >
    > A quick review on Google suggests that it's primarily a problem with
    > dependancies. I didn't mean to imply that there weren't packages out
    > there, but that folks installing this software (from source or from
    > packages) have reported trouble getting it working.


    I wrote a script which downloads slackbuild scripts and sees what
    source they need, downloads that and runs the whole process. Running
    that script on the slackbuilds
    boost gc libsigcxx glibmm cairomm gtkmm inkscape
    creates a working inkscape on Slack 12.1. (Well, to be more accurate
    I should say it did a couple of months ago, I haven't tried it this
    month.)

    Cheers.

    Jim

  19. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:19:44 +1000, Grant wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Say I want to convert or create this type of drawing
    >
    > # network topology
    > # `````````````````
    > # ---------------- ------------ LAN #
    > ( ) Phone | ADSL Modem | Machines # (
    > Big Bad Internet )--------| bridge | # ( )
    > Line | mode | 100-Base-T # ----------------
    > ------------ Switch ----- #
    > | -------| | # Public
    > IP | $X_WORLD | ----- #
    > | | ----- #
    > ------------- | --| | # optional |
    > ppp0/eth0 | --- | ----- # second |
    > | | \ |-- ----- # localnet < - - - - - -| eth2
    > eth1|-----|/ /|-----| | # not |
    > | | \ |-- ----- # installed | Firewall
    > | --- | ----- # -------------
    > | --| | #
    > | ----- #
    > | ----- #
    > -------| | # $X_LOCAL2 $X_LOCAL
    > ----- #
    > 192.168.1.0/24 #
    >
    > to a graphic line drawing, which tool/s should I be looking at?
    >
    > Needs snap-to-grid, text alignment, line-draw-to-orthogonal, colours,
    > mouse-driven interactive. Destination would be a web page, so an
    > image.png file output option. No complex layers, so not a CAD app.
    >
    > Been a long time since I used (windoze) drawing tools so I have no idea
    > where to start looking with what's available on a slack-12.1 install, or
    > what I should download.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Grant.


    what about
    gliffy http://www.gliffy.com/

  20. Re: Suggest to me a tool for line drawing

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:29:10 -0300, Jim Diamond wrote:

    > On 2008-09-20 at 15:53 ADT, Sylvain Robitaille
    > wrote:
    >> Peter Chant wrote:
    >>
    >>>> Don't we frequently see reports here suggesting
    >>>> installation/dependancy problems with Inkscape?
    >>>
    >>> I've never noticed any. Just search around linuxpackages or slacy or
    >>> whereever and there will be a package that just works.

    >>
    >> A quick review on Google suggests that it's primarily a problem with
    >> dependancies. I didn't mean to imply that there weren't packages out
    >> there, but that folks installing this software (from source or from
    >> packages) have reported trouble getting it working.

    >
    > I wrote a script which downloads slackbuild scripts and sees what source
    > they need, downloads that and runs the whole process. Running that
    > script on the slackbuilds
    > boost gc libsigcxx glibmm cairomm gtkmm inkscape
    > creates a working inkscape on Slack 12.1. (Well, to be more accurate I
    > should say it did a couple of months ago, I haven't tried it this
    > month.)


    I just had a "slap-forehead-moment", because the thread made me
    interested enough to have a look around at the various vector drawing
    packages out there. And guess what? There's one that goes with KDE,
    called Karbon14. and guess what else? It turned out to have been
    installed already on my Slack 12.0 box, as part of the rest of KDE I
    assume. (I did an "install everything" install on that one, perhaps
    that's when it happened.)

    It's in my KDE menu under Office - More applications. And it'll export
    as PNG. Did someone else mention it and I missed the post, or did no-one
    know it was there? It was certainly a surprise to me, guess I need to
    keep up with Koffice better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast