New Slackware logo - Slackware

This is a discussion on New Slackware logo - Slackware ; So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is mentioned by Pat in the news blurb. http://www.slackware.com I don't like it. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 111

  1. New Slackware logo

    So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
    seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
    mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.

    http://www.slackware.com

    I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
    it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
    I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

  2. Re: New Slackware logo

    Dan C wrote:
    > So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...?

    The consensus in the "official" Slackware forum is:

    "What the f*** is Slamwars?"

    scnr,
    Rupa

  3. Re: New Slackware logo

    On September 18, 2008 10:08, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Dan C
    (youmustbejoking@lan.invalid) wrote:

    > So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
    > seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
    > mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
    >
    > http://www.slackware.com

    Gaak! Well, the logo is sort of eye-catching, but not in a good way.

    Seriously. That's not a logo, that's abstract art.

    PV: If you are listening, don't make this change. Perhaps your old logo was
    not "modern" enough for some people (it looked good to me), but /this/
    isn't worth the change. If you /really/ want to change, change to something
    that is either completely abstract (a curved checkmark doesn't even attempt
    to read as "Nike", but does just as good), or something completely concrete
    ("I B M" spells IBM, no matter what the typeface). Anything else is just
    either too confusing or too amateurish.

    --
    Lew Pitcher

  4. Re: New Slackware logo

    Rupa Zangpo writes:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...?

    > The consensus in the "official" Slackware forum is:
    >
    > "What the f*** is Slamwars?"

    That was my reaction - hideous and illegible.

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  5. Re: New Slackware logo

    Hallo, Lew,

    Du meintest am 18.09.08:

    >> http://www.slackware.com

    > Gaak! Well, the logo is sort of eye-catching, but not in a good way.

    > Seriously. That's not a logo, that's abstract art.

    > PV: If you are listening, don't make this change.

    Me too!
    The logo is ugly!

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  6. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, Dan C wrote:

    > So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
    > seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
    > mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
    >
    > http://www.slackware.com
    >
    > I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
    > it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
    > I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

    I think he had a hand in the design. Not implementation, but likely
    he had an idea.

    That readable both up and down reminds me of how the "American Beauty"
    on the cover of the Grateful Dead's album of the same name can be
    read that way and also as "American Reality". The Grateful Dead
    also have an album titled "Aoxomoxoa" that can be read from left
    to right and right to left.

    Since we all know Patrick is a DeadHead, it makes sense that this
    sort of thing influenced the new logo. And if he didn't say anything
    about what he wanted, I'd then guess that the logo designer new
    about his interest, and followed suit.

    His comment about tshirts and stuff may be the real reason for
    the new logo. He can sell everyone new tshirts and stickers and
    buttons, while sales may have trickled off as all those who
    wanted such things had enough with the old logo.

    Michael

  7. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:50:49 -0400, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    >> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
    >> seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
    >> mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
    >>
    >> http://www.slackware.com

    > Gaak! Well, the logo is sort of eye-catching, but not in a good way.

    Agreed.

    > Seriously. That's not a logo, that's abstract art.

    Agreed, again.

    > PV: If you are listening, don't make this change. Perhaps your old logo was
    > not "modern" enough for some people (it looked good to me), but /this/
    > isn't worth the change. If you /really/ want to change, change to something
    > that is either completely abstract (a curved checkmark doesn't even attempt
    > to read as "Nike", but does just as good), or something completely concrete
    > ("I B M" spells IBM, no matter what the typeface). Anything else is just
    > either too confusing or too amateurish.

    Too late, I'm afraid. The change has already happened, and it's even on
    all the shirts/merchandise at the official store.

    Perhaps we need to start a mass email protest to Pat...?

  8. Re: New Slackware logo

    Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > The logo is ugly!

    Ugly but imaginative IMHO

    Paul.

  9. Re: New Slackware logo

    Dan C wrote:

    > ...although it is kinda cool how it can be used upside down. *I
    > prefer the old (original?) logo by far. I'm pretty surprised

    the word > that Pat approved of such a change. *Thoughts?

    Have a look at the word, "illuminati" as depicted in Dan Brown's
    novel "Angels and Demons", it's designed on the same principal,
    it can be read both ways up! As to thoughts I approve.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  10. Re: New Slackware logo

    I don't like it as much as the old one.

    Dan C wrote:

    > So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
    > seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
    > mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
    >
    > http://www.slackware.com
    >
    > I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
    > it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
    > I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

    --
    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable Rights,

  11. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:08:07 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > although it is kinda cool how it can be used upside down.

    It kind of grows on you. I like it, now.

    --
    http://www.richardgregory.org/
    http://www.richardgregory.org/graphi...lgsig_site.gif

  12. Re: New Slackware logo

    > Dan C wrote:

    > > So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
    > > seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
    > > mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
    > >
    > > http://www.slackware.com
    > >
    > > I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
    > > it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
    > > I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

    I don't like it. Looks like one of those Windows wing-ding fonts...

    -- anthony

    --
    http://www.whuddafug.com

  13. Re: New Slackware logo

    Hallo, Two,

    Du meintest am 18.09.08:

    > Have a look at the word, "illuminati" as depicted in Dan Brown's
    > novel "Angels and Demons",

    I'vre read the book - strange story, strange pictures. If I want a
    riddle i'd neither read "illuminati" nor the slackware logo.

    > it's designed on the same principal,
    > it can be read both ways up! As to thoughts I approve.

    May be - and where's the beef?

    Can I use Slackware backwards? (And then it tells satanic poems?)

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  14. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:08:07 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
    > seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
    > mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
    >
    > http://www.slackware.com
    >
    > I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
    > it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
    > I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

    It busts the Slackware philosophy of not fixing what isn't broken. The
    existing logo was well known and recognisable, and easy to read.

    The new one is none of those. And while it does read the same upside
    down as well, it takes a mental effort to read it as saying Slackware.

    It makes me worry that PV might take the same radical approach to /etc
    and decide all the configuration should be in a binary registry....

  15. Re: New Slackware logo, Correction.

    Two ravens wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:

    > > ...although it is kinda cool how it can be used upside down.
    > > I prefer the old (original?) logo by far. I'm pretty
    > > surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

    Have a look at the word, "illuminati" as depicted in Dan Brown's
    novel "Angels and Demons", it's designed on the same principal,
    it can be read both ways up! As to thoughts I approve.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  16. Re: New Slackware logo

    Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > Can I use Slackware backwards? (And then it tells satanic
    > poems?)

    I don't know, can you?

    > Viele Gruesse
    > Helmut
    >
    > "Ubuntu" - an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for
    > me".

    I do know that you seem to be fond of using someone else's sig
    line without giving them the acknowledgment of being the
    original author that they are due.

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  17. Re: New Slackware logo

    * psz wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:

    > Helmut Hullen wrote:
    >
    >> The logo is ugly!

    > Ugly but imaginative IMHO
    >
    > Paul.

    Nah, seems like the creator is reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Not
    very imaginative.

    --
    David

  18. Re: New Slackware logo

    On 2008-09-18, Mark Madsen wrote:

    > It busts the Slackware philosophy of not fixing what isn't broken.

    This is 100% wrong, of course! From the front page:

    "Also, we recently commissioned Mark from Senile Felines Designs to
    create a unique new Slackware Logo (that's it there in the upper right),
    as we were getting a number of bug reports that the old logo could not
    be read easily while standing on one's head. ;-)"

    Clearly the new logo is a bug fix. ;-)

    --keith

    (I don't particularly like the new logo, but I also don't care, since
    it's still the same Slackware)

    (try just my userid to email me)

  19. Re: New Slackware logo

    Dan C wrote:
    >I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
    >it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.

    I agree, except maybe not "by far".

    Plusses:

    * much less bland
    * cool upsidedownness
    * looks great on a T-shirt

    Minuses:

    * if you didn't know it was Slackware, you might not know was it said
    * probably wouldn't notice the upsidedownness, either
    * sort of "kiddy", like you said

    I think a lot of the minuses could be addresses with small changes in
    the glyphs, but I say this as a non-artist.

    Distro still rocks, though.

    -Beej

  20. Re: New Slackware logo

    Dan C wrote:

    > http://www.slackware.com

    If PV comes to his senses soon enough, maybe the slamwars t-shirts will
    become collectors' items.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast