New Slackware logo - Slackware

This is a discussion on New Slackware logo - Slackware ; On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:07:36 -0700, ANC wrote: >> Pat heard the feedback, and has already (several days ago) >> changed the logo back to the original. > He did? And where is that written? Where is it *written*? ...

  1. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:07:36 -0700, ANC wrote:

    >> Pat heard the feedback, and has already (several days ago)
    >> changed the logo back to the original.

    > He did? And where is that written?

    Where is it *written*? It isn't written, you dumb ****. You're even
    more stupid than I remember you being. It's right there in the upper
    right corner of the ****ing website, doofus. Right where the bull****
    "new" one used to be, before PV changed it back to the original, as I said.

    > I see on the OFFICIAL website that he
    > is still coming all over himself about the new logo and still has a link
    > to it: http://slackware.com/grfx/shared/sla...igram_logo.png

    Yeah, a *link* to it. However, it is not in use on the main page, as it
    was a week ago. Can you understand that, dimwit?

    Now, weren't you told to bugger off and go play with the other drooling
    Mac-boys? Run along, dickmunch.

  2. Re: New Slackware logo

    On 2008-09-27, fuzzix wrote:

    > Nah, I just forgot this:
    >
    > http://i37.tinypic.com/2mcg5jk.jpg

    That was awesome. Is it legal to modquote an image?

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:52:59 -0700, Keith Keller wrote:

    >On 2008-09-27, fuzzix wrote:
    >>
    >> Nah, I just forgot this:
    >>
    >> http://i37.tinypic.com/2mcg5jk.jpg

    >That was awesome. Is it legal to modquote an image?

    Only if you run it through the img2ascii converter

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  4. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 10:57:53 +0000, Joost Kremers wrote:

    > Mark Madsen wrote:
    >> Besides, gravity tends to be locally unidirectional on the surface of
    >> our planet.

    > that's just an illusion caused by the disproportionally large difference
    > in mass between our planet and you. in reality, you're pulling the earth
    > towards you just as much as the earth is pulling you towards it.

    Yeah, I knew that :-)

    See:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamic-Cosm...n-Mathematics/
    dp/0412623005/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207373928&sr=8-1

  5. Re: New Slackware logo

    ANC wrote:
    > In article <-L-dnU17dcQ64UDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@earthlink.com>,
    > ~kurt wrote:
    >
    >> You are still jealous, aren't you?
    >>
    >> - Kurt

    > Not me. It was PV who f---ed you over... and it looks like you and the
    > rest of the kennel (of wild dogs who seek to dominate this group) are
    > not happy.

    How did he **** me over? The only complaint I ever really had was when
    he moved KDE stuff to /opt, which messed up my small / partition. Then
    it all got moved back later on. I'm not in the habbit of keeping up with
    the changelog....

    I could really care less about the logo. I'll leave marketing up to him.

    Pat's impact on this world has been much more significant than yours. I
    think this is your problem. I mean, despite your attempts for attention,
    writing a book no one buys, software very few use, or a few Linux
    articles (that I hope are not representative of the quality of your other
    products), no one really knows who you are.

    > And what are you going to do about it? Do you dare tell your fuhrer that
    > he screwed up and that you are pissed off about it? Yeah right. Let's

    I could send him an email about any suggestions I have - he can choose to
    listen, or ignore it - it is his distribution. My ego isn't so fragile that
    if he chooses to ignore me I'll get all upset about it.

    > Yeah, old PV f---ed all of you in the butt... with this logo... and
    > could give a rat's a-- whether or not you like it or don't.

    Apparently he does - he changed it back.

    > But why do you care? Hey. It's not about market share, right? Why do you
    > even NEED a logo? No one buys Slackware anymore... it is an Ubuntu,
    > Suse, Debian world. Slackware is part of the flotsam of Linux.

    Heh, wasn't it Gentoo, a few years back? They have lost you precious
    market share. Slackware has stayed about the same.

    - Kurt

  6. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 20:41:27 -0700, ANC wrote:

    > No one buys Slackware anymore...

    If the above statement were to be true, how would its, (Slackware®),
    proprietor be making a living?

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  7. Re: New Slackware logo

    In article <48e029c1$0$2501$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk>,
    Two Ravens wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 20:41:27 -0700, ANC wrote:
    >
    > > No one buys Slackware anymore...

    > If the above statement were to be true, how would its, (Slackware®),
    > proprietor be making a living?

    Selling T-Shirts and coffee mugs with the new logo. You really think he
    is making a California living (in a rather expensive are of the state)
    selling his Linux software? If so I have some bonds from AIG and WaMu I
    want to sell you!

    Slackware is so... yesterday. It's the best distro 1996 has to offer...
    and still is.

    I get a big kick out of you boys who after all these years still think
    you matter! Dan C, Old Man, the whole lot of you are all part of the
    past.

    It's always fun to come back here every couple of months and tune up the
    old violin and see you all dance again.

    In a world where everything is changing I can always count on Dan C. to
    be his usual obnoxious self. It's all good.

    ANC

  8. Re: New Slackware logo

    In article ,
    ~kurt wrote:

    > I could really care less about the logo. I'll leave marketing up to him.

    I thought it wasn't about market share?

    > Pat's impact on this world has been much more significant than yours.

    Yeah? How is that? He's a lone linux developer in a huge sea of linux
    developers, where distros are a dime a dozen... and where no one of any
    consequence cares about his. If it were not for you fan-boys constantly
    clicking on the Distrowatch link, Slackware would have long disappeared
    off the list.

    You want to see what Slackware should be? Try Sidux. You won't go back.

    ANC

  9. Re: New Slackware logo

    ANC wrote:

    > Yeah? How is that? He's a lone linux developer in a huge sea of linux
    > developers, where distros are a dime a dozen... and where no one of any

    Distros may be a dime a dozen, but his distro has been a major one
    for longer than any others. According to the linux counter, Debian, Suse,
    and Ubuntu have more "market share". Gentoo came, and is going. Red Hat
    and Fedora should probably be counted as one - so it (they) still have
    a greater market share. Slackware continues to remain strong. Pat has
    made a real impact - across the world. You - haven't.

    > consequence cares about his. If it were not for you fan-boys constantly
    > clicking on the Distrowatch link, Slackware would have long disappeared
    > off the list.

    Do you really believe this? I mean, are you really that pathetic to believe
    that people using Slackware would waste time on distrowatch, clicking
    the Slackware link? You can't be that pathetic. Plus, who knows what
    the correlation is between distrowatch clicks and actual distro use?
    The bottom line is Pat has been able to make a living off of Slackware
    for a long time.

    His distro and philosophy suit a certain type of person. Those of us who
    like that philosophy, will always exist in enough numbers to keep a
    distro like Slackware alive. Slackware continues to evolve, btw. Installation
    of 12.0 and 12.1 were a breeze. When I finished my after installation
    configuration, I couldn't believe how little I had to do to lock the
    system down, and get everything working. I think pretty much everything
    worked right out of the box. It was almost as easy as running a Mac.

    > You want to see what Slackware should be? Try Sidux. You won't go back.

    It says it is Debian based. I tried Debian for a bit - didn't like it.

    - Kurt

  10. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:24:09 -0500, ~kurt wrote:

    >It says it is Debian based. I tried Debian for a bit - didn't like it.

    I wonder if that is a common thread for slackware users, dislike of Debian?

    I've never been patient enough to get debian going, and meeting slackware
    after years of redhat was so refreshing, no more rpms

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  11. Re: New Slackware logo

    Grant wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:24:09 -0500, ~kurt wrote:

    >>It says it is Debian based. I tried Debian for a bit - didn't like it.

    > I wonder if that is a common thread for slackware users, dislike of Debian?

    I don't know. I really wanted to like it. This was 5 years back, or so,
    and I was in an experiementing mood again. I had also given Suse a try
    back then. I'll take Debian over Suse any day.

    - Kurt

  12. Re: New Slackware logo

    In article <1Jidnce4Ptr0xX3VnZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
    ~kurt wrote:
    > Slackware continues to remain strong. Pat has
    > made a real impact - across the world.

    And that impact is what? That he has created a Linux distro that people
    (well at least a few) use? My bet is that more people have left
    Slackware than who use Slackware.

    > The bottom line is Pat has been able to make a living off of Slackware
    > for a long time.

    You know this how? He has published his sales figures or his financial
    statements? No he hasn't. For all you know, Pat works at WalMart as a
    greeter. Or maybe his wife has a high-paying job. I sincerely doubt that
    Slackware sales provide Pat with more than a few thousand dollars a
    year.

    Neither of us can prove our hypothesis so I will accept the possibility
    of yours... although knowing you as I do all these years, I doubt you
    would accept the possibility of mine. It would be very un-Slackware-like
    for you to do so given the "blind faith in all things Slackware" culture
    that you live in.

    Why don't you write Pat and ask him what his sales were last year or so
    far this year. My bet is he would tell you, since you are one of his
    fan-boys for so long. Do that and definitively prove one of us right or
    wrong.

    > His distro and philosophy suit a certain type of person. Those of us who
    > like that philosophy, will always exist in enough numbers to keep a
    > distro like Slackware alive.

    Again, you know this how? You are making a guess, not a statement of
    fact. You don't have the first clue as to the numbers. For all you know
    there are maybe 100 users of Slackware in the whole world. Or maybe
    there are a 100 million. So what is it?

    Assuming there IS a "certain type of person" who uses Slackware (and I
    think it is a stretch to generalize like that) I'm surprised that they
    don't use FreeBSD instead. If you are really looking for a "pure"
    operating system, as opposed to a kernel with a lot of 3rd party
    applications bolted on, I would think that would be what "you guys"
    would use. Beyond Linux From Scratch, what takes longer and is more
    complex to install than FreeBSD? You guys should love it.

    > Slackware continues to evolve, btw.
    > Installation
    > of 12.0 and 12.1 were a breeze. When I finished my after installation
    > configuration, I couldn't believe how little I had to do to lock the
    > system down, and get everything working. I think pretty much everything
    > worked right out of the box. It was almost as easy as running a Mac.

    I hate to break this to you, but just about every Linux these days works
    right out of the box. When was the last time you installed a different
    distro just to try it out? Hell, you can even get a BSD distro that
    works out of the box (PC-BSD.)

    > > You want to see what Slackware should be? Try Sidux. You won't go back.

    > It says it is Debian based. I tried Debian for a bit - didn't like it.

    Sidux is Debian based but it has some very good Linux developers (many
    German) on its team. While it is based on Sid (unstable) they do a great
    job making a state-of-the-art system as reliable as possible.

    For the hell of it, burn a CD and run it from there and then tell us
    what you don't like about it. My bet is that you will dump Slackware and
    stick with Sidux. Like I say, I'm sure that more Linux users have dumped
    Slackware than still run it.

    ANC

  13. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Grant wrote:

    >> It says it is Debian based. I tried Debian for a bit - didn't like it.

    > I wonder if that is a common thread for slackware users, dislike of Debian?
    >
    > I've never been patient enough to get debian going, and meeting slackware
    > after years of redhat was so refreshing, no more rpms

    Debian is no harder then RH, they are all pretty simple, I dont like the
    way debian (and RH) butcher the crap out of every program they get their
    mits on, if bind for example was meant to be in 4 packages, then I'm sure
    ISC would release it as such. there is reason debian claim to have most
    number of packages for a distro, and its true, but NOT because of different
    programs, its because they mutilate single packages into 3 or 4, so in
    reality they have no more than any other has available to them however
    since they support both Gnome and KDE, they do have more then Slackware
    who favours only KDE.

    I use Slackware because Pat does not fark with things like those dweebs
    do, and in a server environment, thats most very important, Slackware is
    very incredibly stable and reliable in a server, and thats what counts
    most to me, YMMV of course.

    I have used them all in my employments, and in debian world, lets not
    forget that: if ($release eq "stable") { $release = "stale"} hehe

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  14. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, ANC wrote:

    > In article <1Jidnce4Ptr0xX3VnZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
    > ~kurt wrote:
    >> Slackware continues to remain strong. Pat has
    >> made a real impact - across the world.

    > And that impact is what? That he has created a Linux distro that people
    > (well at least a few) use? My bet is that more people have left
    > Slackware than who use Slackware.

    The funny thing is, Slackware does routinely get mentioned, and while
    "one of the oldest distributions" is often tacked on to that mention,
    someone has decided it's worth mentioning when all kinds of also-rans
    never get mentioned.

    Now maybe it wouldn't get that routine mention if it wasn't still
    alive, but it is still alive, unlike so many others.

    Michael

  15. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:40:54 -0700, ANC wrote:

    > You want to see what Slackware should be? Try Sidux. You won't go back.

    HAR! Hahaha! LOL!

    Isn't that what you were in here saying about "Kanotix" a couple of years
    ago? That it was the greatest thing ever? Yeah, it's really turned into
    a powerhouse distro, eh?

    Since you seem to be so enthralled by the Distrowatch "rankings", I just
    checked and Kanotix is number *82*. Slackware is number 12, and Sidux
    is 24, BTW.

    Sidux is just the latest in a long string of Debian clones seeking to
    capitalize on the success of Noobuntu. It'll be gone soon.

    Why don't you be gone too, Mac-boy. You don't even use Linux, and never
    really did. Bugger off and go play with your toy computer.

  16. Re: New Slackware logo

    ANC farted:

    >You want to see what Slackware should be? Try Sidux. You won't go back.

    Why should I take your advice when you can't even spell the name of your distro?

  17. Distros

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...mr&btnG=Search

    Dan C sez:

    >On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:40:54 -0700, ANC wrote:
    >
    >> You want to see what Slackware should be? Try Sidux. You won't go back.

    >HAR! Hahaha! LOL!
    >
    >Isn't that what you were in here saying about "Kanotix" a couple of years
    >ago? That it was the greatest thing ever? Yeah, it's really turned into
    >a powerhouse distro, eh?
    >
    >Since you seem to be so enthralled by the Distrowatch "rankings", I just
    >checked and Kanotix is number *82*. Slackware is number 12, and Sidux
    >is 24, BTW.
    >
    >Sidux is just the latest in a long string of Debian clones seeking to
    >capitalize on the success of Noobuntu. It'll be gone soon.

    He will be touting OpenGEU next. Free clue: the distros worth looking
    at are all listed at http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

    Distrowatch's list of suggested Slackware-based alternatives:
    Zenwalk Linux
    VectorLinux
    SLAX
    Slamd64 Linux
    Bluewhite64 Linux
    Wolvix
    GoblinX

    Distrowatch's list of other distributions with similar philosophies:
    Arch Linux
    Frugalware Linux
    KateOS

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...mr&btnG=Search

  18. Re: New Slackware logo

    ANC wrote:
    > In article <1Jidnce4Ptr0xX3VnZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@earthlink.com>,
    > ~kurt wrote:
    >> Slackware continues to remain strong. Pat has
    >> made a real impact - across the world.

    > And that impact is what? That he has created a Linux distro that people
    > (well at least a few) use? My bet is that more people have left
    > Slackware than who use Slackware.

    At the very least, he has created the best distro that I have used.

    > Neither of us can prove our hypothesis so I will accept the possibility
    > of yours... although knowing you as I do all these years, I doubt you
    > would accept the possibility of mine. It would be very un-Slackware-like
    > for you to do so given the "blind faith in all things Slackware" culture
    > that you live in.

    It makes no difference to me - as long as he continues to produce this
    distro, I'm happy. You have been predicting Slackware's doom for a long
    time now. Even if I was the only user - I'm happy.

    > Why don't you write Pat and ask him what his sales were last year or so
    > far this year. My bet is he would tell you, since you are one of his
    > fan-boys for so long. Do that and definitively prove one of us right or
    > wrong.

    He would probably tell me it is none of my business, and it isn't.

    >> His distro and philosophy suit a certain type of person. Those of us who
    >> like that philosophy, will always exist in enough numbers to keep a
    >> distro like Slackware alive.

    > Again, you know this how? You are making a guess, not a statement of
    > fact. You don't have the first clue as to the numbers. For all you know
    > there are maybe 100 users of Slackware in the whole world. Or maybe
    > there are a 100 million. So what is it?

    My best guess is based on the linux counter project. Not proof, but
    the best that is out there. I combine that with the people I know
    who like Slackware, then extrapolate into a generalization (it is a
    big world).

    > Assuming there IS a "certain type of person" who uses Slackware (and I
    > think it is a stretch to generalize like that) I'm surprised that they
    > don't use FreeBSD instead. If you are really looking for a "pure"

    I looked into the BSDs years ago - I decided to stick with Linux. So
    far I'm happy with that decision. The reasoning behind it is long,
    and would require more effort to explain than you are worth.

    > operating system, as opposed to a kernel with a lot of 3rd party
    > applications bolted on, I would think that would be what "you guys"
    > would use. Beyond Linux From Scratch, what takes longer and is more
    > complex to install than FreeBSD? You guys should love it.

    I use Slackware because it is easy, and saves me time.

    > For the hell of it, burn a CD and run it from there and then tell us
    > what you don't like about it. My bet is that you will dump Slackware and
    > stick with Sidux. Like I say, I'm sure that more Linux users have dumped
    > Slackware than still run it.

    I'm on dialup - the only other distro I work with now days is Red Hat
    Enterprise Linux, or whatever they care calling it now days.

    - Kurt

  19. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:44:49 -0700, ANC wrote:

    > For the hell of it, burn a CD and run it from there and then tell us
    > what you don't like about it.

    I did this today. Got the XFCE version and it boots up fine. Doesn't
    look any different than any of the other Noobuntu clones out there.
    Doesn't run any better, or worse. Doesn't do anything that any other
    distro doesn't do. The deal-breaker for me would be that it is
    Debian-based, and therefore is "strange". Things aren't located where
    they should be, and config files are *very* weird. Why bother?

    > My bet is that you will dump Slackware and stick with Sidux.

    You lose the bet. How much do you owe me?

    > Like I say, I'm sure that more Linux users have dumped Slackware than
    > still run it.

    You're "sure", huh? How could you possibly know something that farfetched
    and silly?

    Oh, yeah. You're ANC. I forgot who I was dealing with there for a second.

    You're a moron, and completely clueless about all things Linux.

    Bugger off, simpleton.

  20. Re: New Slackware logo

    Beej Jorgensen wrote :

    > Plusses:
    >
    > * cool upsidedownness

    And now you've animated me to create this:

    --
    Thomas O.