New Slackware logo - Slackware

This is a discussion on New Slackware logo - Slackware ; Hallo, Mark, Du meintest am 26.09.08: > At the moment I see the "slackware linux" logo on slackware.com, but > the "slamwars" logo is prominently displayed on the Wikipedia page > for Slackware.... ------------------------------------ http://en.wikipedia.org Revision as of 22:13, 16 ...

  1. Re: New Slackware logo

    Hallo, Mark,

    Du meintest am 26.09.08:

    > At the moment I see the "slackware linux" logo on slackware.com, but
    > the "slamwars" logo is prominently displayed on the Wikipedia page
    > for Slackware....

    ------------------------------------

    http://en.wikipedia.org

    Revision as of 22:13, 16 January 2007 (edit) (undo)
    Remember the dot (Talk | contribs)

    -
    logo = [[Image:Slackware.jpg|Slackware logo]] |
    +
    logo = [[Image:Slackware logo.png|Slackware logo]] |

    ------------------------------------

    That's the only remark I have found about the logo. No description about
    the contents of the picture(s).

    On the german Wikipedia side I still find the old logo (was it
    "slackware.jpg" on the "en" webside too?).

    I could change the pictures ...

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  2. Re: New Slackware logo

    Hallo, Mark,

    Du meintest am 26.09.08:

    >> Perhaps we just flame PV for not sticking to his guns thus proving
    >> that "we" are impossible to please...

    > At the moment I see the "slackware linux" logo on slackware.com, but
    > the "slamwars" logo is prominently displayed on the Wikipedia page
    > for Slackware....

    Who has created the traditional logo?
    I've searched the history in the german wikipedia (where this logo is
    still shown): I only found the uploader ("Whompage") and some requests
    to add some information.

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  3. Re: New Slackware logo

    ANC wrote:

    > This logo is not the worst I've ever seen, but it is close. I doubt it
    > will be very well received among the Slackware faithful, but my guess is
    > that overtime it will be accepted.

    I guess you didn't follow the thread - almost no one liked it. I seem to
    remember a single positive response. And, the old logo is back on
    slackware.com....

    > One thing I can say for sure is that the logo with its retro look and
    > "trying to be cute" design is a perfect fit if the concept is to portray
    > Slackware as the best Linux 1996 has to offer. Works great for that.

    You are still jealous, aren't you?

    - Kurt

  4. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 19:19:42 -0700, ANC wrote:

    >> It sucks. Just. Plain. Bad. I am glad PV put something on the News page
    >> about it, though. For a while there, I was afraid he'd hired Al.

    > I'm not a very good graphic designer although after twenty years in the
    > book publishing biz you get better at knowing what is good design (i.e.
    > what will sell and what won't... although no one knows for sure.)

    I suspect you're not very good at that, either.

    You *do* still read every post here. I always thought so.

    > This logo is not the worst I've ever seen, but it is close. I doubt it
    > will be very well received among the Slackware faithful, but my guess is
    > that overtime it will be accepted.

    Hmmmm..... Maybe you didn't read the rest of this thread, after all.

    > One thing I can say for sure is that the logo with its retro look and
    > "trying to be cute" design is a perfect fit if the concept is to portray
    > Slackware as the best Linux 1996 has to offer. Works great for that.

    It was indeed the best that Linux had to offer in 1996, just as it is in
    2008 (and every year in between).

    Bugger off, Mac-boy.

  5. Re: New Slackware logo

    Dan C wrote:
    > I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
    > it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
    > I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

    Standard ambigram fare - forced and barely readable. It doesn't lend
    itself well to Slackware functionality and philosophy. Keep It Readable
    After a 180 Degree Rotation has never been as popular as Keep It Simple,
    Stimpy!

    If we are in drastic need of a new logo may I humbly suggest this:

    I was up all night working on it.

  6. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 03:08:53 +0100, fuzzix wrote:

    >> I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
    >> it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
    >> I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

    > Standard ambigram fare - forced and barely readable. It doesn't lend
    > itself well to Slackware functionality and philosophy. Keep It Readable
    > After a 180 Degree Rotation has never been as popular as Keep It Simple,
    > Stimpy!
    >
    > If we are in drastic need of a new logo may I humbly suggest this:
    >

    > I was up all night working on it.

    LOL! Nice.

  7. Re: New Slackware logo

    In article <-L-dnU17dcQ64UDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@earthlink.com>,
    ~kurt wrote:

    > You are still jealous, aren't you?
    >
    > - Kurt

    Not me. It was PV who f---ed you over... and it looks like you and the
    rest of the kennel (of wild dogs who seek to dominate this group) are
    not happy.

    And what are you going to do about it? Do you dare tell your fuhrer that
    he screwed up and that you are pissed off about it? Yeah right. Let's
    see Dan C. show up at PV's office and beat the crap out of him... which
    would be Dan's style... which you would understand if you've been here
    for any length of time.

    Yeah, old PV f---ed all of you in the butt... with this logo... and
    could give a rat's a-- whether or not you like it or don't.

    But why do you care? Hey. It's not about market share, right? Why do you
    even NEED a logo? No one buys Slackware anymore... it is an Ubuntu,
    Suse, Debian world. Slackware is part of the flotsam of Linux.

    Al

  8. Re: New Slackware logo

    In article ,
    Peter Chant wrote:

    > Perhaps we just flame PV

    Oh I can't wait for that to happen! You really think PV gives a s--t
    what you folks think? Um... when was the last time he posted to this
    newsgroup? Let me guess... 2005.

    PV sees you for the clowns you are. Even HE does not want to get mixed
    up with Dan C., Old Man, Kurt, and the rest of the wild dogs who seek to
    dominate this newsgroup.

    Look at this logo. Man, did you guys take it in the shorts... or what?

    Slackwars? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,... give me air... I need air... I've not
    laughed so hard in years.

    Al
    "'Slackwars' ... for people who can't spell Slackware... or Ubuntu."

  9. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 20:41:27 -0700, ANC wrote:

    >> You are still jealous, aren't you?

    > Not me. It was PV who f---ed you over... and it looks like you and the
    > rest of the kennel (of wild dogs who seek to dominate this group) are
    > not happy.
    >
    > And what are you going to do about it? Do you dare tell your fuhrer that
    > he screwed up and that you are pissed off about it? Yeah right. Let's

    Hey, dumbass. Pat heard the feedback, and has already (several days ago)
    changed the logo back to the original.

    Now, don't you feel stupid?

    > Yeah, old PV f---ed all of you in the butt... with this logo... and
    > could give a rat's a-- whether or not you like it or don't.

    See above, doofus.

    > But why do you care? Hey. It's not about market share, right?

    That's right.

    Now run along and disappear for another six months, you ignorant ****ing
    stooge. Go play with that toy "computer" and leave the Linux to those who
    know how to use it.

  10. Re: New Slackware logo

    In article ,
    Dan C wrote:

    > Pat heard the feedback, and has already (several days ago)
    > changed the logo back to the original.

    He did? And where is that written? I see on the OFFICIAL website that he
    is still coming all over himself about the new logo and still has a link
    to it: http://slackware.com/grfx/shared/sla...igram_logo.png

    You got f---ked in the a--. Plain and simple.

    Was it good for you?

    It's true. Every dog has his day!

    Al
    "'Slackwars'... for people who can't spell Slackware."

  11. Re: New Slackware logo

    On 2008-09-27, fuzzix wrote:
    > If we are in drastic need of a new logo may I humbly suggest this:
    >

    > I was up all night working on it.

    I was thinking this :

    Slackware vXX.X

    Or maybe with an additional leading space character. I'll work it over
    for a few more days...

    --
    Slackware 11.0, 2.6.20, K8M800 s754Sempron3100+, GF6200
    RLU #272755

  12. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 03:08:53 +0100, fuzzix wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool
    >> how it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by
    >> far. I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change.
    >> Thoughts?

    > Standard ambigram fare - forced and barely readable. It doesn't lend
    > itself well to Slackware functionality and philosophy. Keep It Readable
    > After a 180 Degree Rotation has never been as popular as Keep It Simple,
    > Stimpy!

    Besides, gravity tends to be locally unidirectional on the surface of our
    planet.

    > If we are in drastic need of a new logo may I humbly suggest this:
    >

    > I was up all night working on it.

    It's excellent. But it would be even cuter if you added some juggling
    kittens.

  13. Re: New Slackware logo

    Danno wrote:
    >I was thinking this :
    >
    > Slackware vXX.X

    Wow--you even used my favorite font! SWEET!

    -Beej

  14. Re: New Slackware logo

    you're too dense to notice the return of the old logo, but
    still can bother to read the, (yes outdate) blurb
    ....**** off troll

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, ANC wrote:

    > He did? And where is that written? I see on the OFFICIAL website that he

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one" -Freiheit

  15. Re: New Slackware logo

    Mark Madsen wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 03:08:53 +0100, fuzzix wrote:
    >>

    >> I was up all night working on it.

    > It's excellent. But it would be even cuter if you added some
    > juggling kittens.

    Nah, I just forgot this:

    http://i37.tinypic.com/2mcg5jk.jpg

  16. Re: New Slackware logo

    Mark Madsen wrote:
    > Besides, gravity tends to be locally unidirectional on the surface of our
    > planet.

    that's just an illusion caused by the disproportionally large difference in
    mass between our planet and you. in reality, you're pulling the earth
    towards you just as much as the earth is pulling you towards it.

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  17. Re: New Slackware logo

    fuzzix writes:

    > Mark Madsen wrote:
    >> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 03:08:53 +0100, fuzzix wrote:
    >>>

    >>> I was up all night working on it.

    >> It's excellent. But it would be even cuter if you added some
    >> juggling kittens.

    > Nah, I just forgot this:
    >
    > http://i37.tinypic.com/2mcg5jk.jpg

    That was it!! Now it's a winner. Have you sent it to Pat V yet?

    atb

    Glyn
    --
    RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
    GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

  18. Re: New Slackware logo

    fuzzix wrote:

    > Mark Madsen wrote:
    >> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 03:08:53 +0100, fuzzix wrote:
    >>>

    >>> I was up all night working on it.

    >> It's excellent. But it would be even cuter if you added some
    >> juggling kittens.

    > Nah, I just forgot this:
    >
    > http://i37.tinypic.com/2mcg5jk.jpg

    Damn you! I fell out of my chair!

    --
    Old Man

    If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. -
    John Kenneth Galbraith

  19. Re: New Slackware logo

    Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > Who has created the traditional logo?
    > I've searched the history in the german wikipedia (where this logo is
    > still shown): I only found the uploader ("Whompage") and some requests
    > to add some information.

    The guys who wrote Slackware Linux Essentials (Chris Lumens, David Cantrell,
    Logan Johnson) were also the original builders of the web site. One of
    them is probably responsible for the logo.

    --
    Old Man

    If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. -
    John Kenneth Galbraith

  20. Re: New Slackware logo

    Hallo, Old,

    Du meintest am 27.09.08:

    >> Who has created the traditional logo?
    >> I've searched the history in the german wikipedia (where this logo
    >> is still shown): I only found the uploader ("Whompage") and some
    >> requests to add some information.

    > The guys who wrote Slackware Linux Essentials (Chris Lumens, David
    > Cantrell, Logan Johnson) were also the original builders of the web
    > site. One of them is probably responsible for the logo.

    I've just seen a Wikipedia image war:

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut