New Slackware logo - Slackware

This is a discussion on New Slackware logo - Slackware ; Old Man wrote: > It sucks. Just. Plain. Bad. I am glad PV put something on the News page > about it, though. For a while there, I was afraid he'd hired Al. > Whats wrong with using or modifying ...

  1. Re: New Slackware logo

    Old Man wrote:

    > It sucks. Just. Plain. Bad. I am glad PV put something on the News page
    > about it, though. For a while there, I was afraid he'd hired Al.

    Whats wrong with using or modifying the "S" log from here?

    http://store.slackware.com/cgi-bin/s...mv_arg:mv_pc=9

    That would even make slackware.com colour!

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  2. Re: New Slackware logo

    Danno wrote:

    > Change is bad.

    No, unwarrented and badly thought through change is bad.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  3. Re: New Slackware logo

    On September 20, 2008 08:50, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Peter Chant
    (REMpeteOVE@CAPpetezilla.ITALSco.uk) wrote:

    > Old Man wrote:
    >
    >> It sucks. Just. Plain. Bad. I am glad PV put something on the News page
    >> about it, though. For a while there, I was afraid he'd hired Al.
    >>

    > Whats wrong with using or modifying the "S" log from here?
    >http://store.slackware.com/cgi-bin/s...mv_arg:mv_pc=9
    >
    > That would even make slackware.com colour!

    Indeed. For that matter, there are lots of alternatives on
    http://slackware.com/~msimons/slackware/grfx/
    /including/ the "S"-on-blue-circle
    (http://slackware.com/~msimons/slackw...d/bluepiSW.jpg)

    --
    Lew Pitcher

  4. Re: New Slackware logo

    Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    > Minuses:
    > * if you didn't know it was Slackware, you might not know what it said
    > but I say this as a non-artist.

    I agree with the majority (unanimous, I think) opinion that
    this new logo was a bad idea. But there are only two
    alternatives: (1)return to old logo (my preference), or
    (2)design a different new logo. If (1) won't happen,
    then somebody has to design a good new slackware logo.
    Like Beej, I'm a non-artist, too. But, instead of
    just complaining, some capable person needs to put forth
    a good alternative. That's the only way anything can
    actually happen.
    --
    John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

  5. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:12:51 +0000 (UTC), JohnF wrote:

    >I agree with the majority (unanimous, I think) opinion that
    >this new logo was a bad idea. But there are only two
    >alternatives: (1)return to old logo (my preference), or
    >(2)design a different new logo. If (1) won't happen,
    >then somebody has to design a good new slackware logo.

    There's a new old logo on slackware.com now "slackware classic",
    new logo relegated to another, blank-but-for-the-new-logo page.

    One would have to say 'slackwars' failed user acceptance testing?

    Now the 'slackware classic' is something I like Maybe that's a
    bounce reaction after slackwars? Happy to see the old logo back.

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.id.au/

  6. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 04:59:55 +1000, Grant wrote:

    > There's a new old logo on slackware.com now "slackware classic",
    > new logo relegated to another, blank-but-for-the-new-logo page.

    Outstanding! Perhaps Pat really is listening...

    > One would have to say 'slackwars' failed user acceptance testing?

    Not much doubt about that.

  7. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 04:59:55 +1000, Grant wrote:

    > There's a new old logo on slackware.com now "slackware classic", new
    > logo relegated to another, blank-but-for-the-new-logo page.

    Result!

  8. Re: New Slackware logo

    On September 18, 2008 10:57, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Dan C
    (youmustbejoking@lan.invalid) wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:50:49 -0400, Lew Pitcher wrote:
    >
    >>> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
    >>> seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
    >>> mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.slackware.com

    [snip]
    >> PV: If you are listening, don't make this change. P

    [snip]
    > Too late, I'm afraid. The change has already happened, and it's even on
    > all the shirts/merchandise at the official store.

    Actually, the official store (store.slackware.com) still only carries
    merchandise with the older "S-on-blue-disk" and "Underlined Slackware"
    logos.

    The CafePress store (http://www.cafepress.com/volkerdi) carries merchandise
    with the new logo. CafePress is a JIT store - they print it /when/ you
    order it, and the logo can easily be changed (they accept art in jpeg, png,
    or gif format, by email, from the store "owner"). Pat /could/ remake the
    CafePress store with a new logo in seconds, if he found the appropriate
    graphic.

    --
    Lew Pitcher

  9. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > On September 18, 2008 10:57, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Dan C
    > (youmustbejoking@lan.invalid) wrote:

    > [snip]
    >>> PV: If you are listening, don't make this change. P

    > [snip]
    >> Too late, I'm afraid. The change has already happened, and it's even on
    >> all the shirts/merchandise at the official store.

    > Actually, the official store (store.slackware.com) still only carries
    > merchandise with the older "S-on-blue-disk" and "Underlined Slackware"
    > logos.
    >
    > The CafePress store (http://www.cafepress.com/volkerdi) carries merchandise
    > with the new logo. CafePress is a JIT store - they print it /when/ you
    > order it, and the logo can easily be changed (they accept art in jpeg, png,
    > or gif format, by email, from the store "owner"). Pat /could/ remake the
    > CafePress store with a new logo in seconds, if he found the appropriate
    > graphic.

    Another way of looking at that is he won't be stuck with excess
    merchandise if nobody buys the new logo. The note about the logo
    did say he could always go the traditional route with the tshirts
    and such if the demand was there.

    Michael

  10. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:41:27 -0400, Lew Pitcher wrote:

    >> Too late, I'm afraid. The change has already happened, and it's even on
    >> all the shirts/merchandise at the official store.

    > Actually, the official store (store.slackware.com) still only carries
    > merchandise with the older "S-on-blue-disk" and "Underlined Slackware"
    > logos.
    >
    > The CafePress store (http://www.cafepress.com/volkerdi) carries merchandise
    > with the new logo. CafePress is a JIT store - they print it /when/ you
    > order it, and the logo can easily be changed (they accept art in jpeg, png,
    > or gif format, by email, from the store "owner"). Pat /could/ remake the
    > CafePress store with a new logo in seconds, if he found the appropriate
    > graphic.

    Ahhhh, you are indeed correct. Thanks for clarifying that. Things are
    looking up!

    Nobody buy the new logo stuff...!

  11. Re: New Slackware logo

    Danno wrote:

    > Change is bad.

    Change is good. I'm right behind you.

    --
    Old Man

    If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. -
    John Kenneth Galbraith

  12. Re: New Slackware logo

    Hallo, JohnF,

    Du meintest am 20.09.08:

    > I agree with the majority (unanimous, I think) opinion that
    > this new logo was a bad idea. But there are only two
    > alternatives: (1)return to old logo (my preference), or
    > (2)design a different new logo.

    Choose alternative 1: "may the Schwartz be with you!"

    Viele Gruesse
    Helmut

  13. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:08:07 -0500, Dan C wrote:

    > I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
    > it can be used upside down.

    Sucks! I'm too old to stand on my head.

    nb

  14. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:42:15 -0500, mister b wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:03:22 -0400, Frank Bell wrote:
    >

    >> IMO the new logo looks like runes from the Lord of the Rings.

    > yesssssssss precious...and we hates it!

    lol..... good one.

    nb

  15. Re: New Slackware logo

    notbob wrote:
    >Sucks! I'm too old to stand on my head.

    It's hard to design media everyone likes. That reminds me, though:

    Reg: It sucks!

    Joe: No, son. It looks nice and sells hockey.

    Reg: It ain't mean enough. Put some blood in there. Show somebody
    gettin' hurt. A groin injury. Put a ****in' map of Florida in the
    background. Get some tits in there! Put a "For Sale" sign on the
    bottom.

    Joe: I don't want any tits and I don't want any "For Sale" sign!

    -Beej, still thinks Pat should keep 'em both

  16. Re: New Slackware logo

    On 2008-09-18, whuddafugger@no.email.here.org wrote:

    > I don't like it. Looks like one of those Windows wing-ding fonts...

    Precisely!

    What's next? Skulls and roses? I have no problem with Pat being a deadhead
    (personally, I'm grateful they're dead), but let's keep the slack vision in
    sight. I think the new logo is silly and pretentious in the extreme and it
    will never grace my linux box or chest.

    nb - finally lost enough weight to proudly wear my old slack t-shirt again

  17. Re: New Slackware logo

    notbob wrote:

    > nb - finally lost enough weight to proudly wear my old slack t-shirt again

    Great! See if you can borrow Dan C's dev/null hat for the complete linux
    ensemble.

    with kind regards

    Chu

  18. Re: New Slackware logo

    In article ,
    Old Man wrote:

    > It sucks. Just. Plain. Bad. I am glad PV put something on the News page
    > about it, though. For a while there, I was afraid he'd hired Al.

    I'm not a very good graphic designer although after twenty years in the
    book publishing biz you get better at knowing what is good design (i.e.
    what will sell and what won't... although no one knows for sure.)

    This logo is not the worst I've ever seen, but it is close. I doubt it
    will be very well received among the Slackware faithful, but my guess is
    that overtime it will be accepted.

    One thing I can say for sure is that the logo with its retro look and
    "trying to be cute" design is a perfect fit if the concept is to portray
    Slackware as the best Linux 1996 has to offer. Works great for that.

    Al

  19. Re: New Slackware logo

    Grant wrote:

    > Now the 'slackware classic' is something I like Maybe that's a
    > bounce reaction after slackwars? Happy to see the old logo back.

    Perhaps we just flame PV for not sticking to his guns thus proving that "we"
    are impossible to please...

    ;-)
    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  20. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:17:16 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:

    > Grant wrote:
    >
    >> Now the 'slackware classic' is something I like Maybe that's a
    >> bounce reaction after slackwars? Happy to see the old logo back.

    > Perhaps we just flame PV for not sticking to his guns thus proving that
    > "we" are impossible to please...

    At the moment I see the "slackware linux" logo on slackware.com, but the
    "slamwars" logo is prominently displayed on the Wikipedia page for
    Slackware....