New Slackware logo - Slackware

This is a discussion on New Slackware logo - Slackware ; On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:14:24 -0700, Keith Keller wrote: > On 2008-09-18, Mark Madsen wrote: >> >> It busts the Slackware philosophy of not fixing what isn't broken. > > This is 100% wrong, of course! From the front ...

  1. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:14:24 -0700, Keith Keller wrote:

    > On 2008-09-18, Mark Madsen wrote:
    >>
    >> It busts the Slackware philosophy of not fixing what isn't broken.

    > This is 100% wrong, of course! From the front page:
    >
    > "Also, we recently commissioned Mark from Senile Felines Designs to
    > create a unique new Slackware Logo (that's it there in the upper right),
    > as we were getting a number of bug reports that the old logo could not
    > be read easily while standing on one's head. ;-)"
    >
    > Clearly the new logo is a bug fix. ;-)

    This bug was not correctly triaged. Most Slackers run only Slackware,
    ever, so the logo is redundant. The real bugfix would have been to do
    away with the logo entirely :-)

    > (I don't particularly like the new logo, but I also don't care, since
    > it's still the same Slackware)

    Once people start messing with one thing, others soon follow. What
    next? Grub 2 as the default bootloader?

  2. Re: New Slackware logo

    In newsgroup alt.os.linux.slackware, Robert Delahunt wrote:

    [...]
    >> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
    >> seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
    >> mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
    >>
    >> http://www.slackware.com

    [...]

    I don't like it. Does not look good and is almost illegible.

    Joe

  3. Re: New Slackware logo

    On 2008-09-18, Mark Madsen wrote:

    > Once people start messing with one thing, others soon follow. What
    > next? Grub 2 as the default bootloader?

    regedit for config files! ;-)

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  4. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Fri, 18 Sep 2008, Helmut Hullen wrote:

    > Me too!
    > The logo is ugly!

    I agree, looks like it was done by some wannabe 1337 16'yo kid

    Ahhh... maybe PV wants to target the kids as well as us ol timers.
    Which will not work, coz they wabtr point and pray in everything and I
    prefer Slackware to stay the way it is, our ubuntu desktop gets multiple
    updates a week, the Slack boxes dont, and theres good reason for that as
    we all know

    --
    Cheers
    Res

    "The hopes we had, were much to high, way out of reach, but we have to
    try, no need to hide, no need to run, cause all the answers come one by
    one. The game will never be over, because we're keeping the dream alive"
    -Freiheit

  5. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:32:33 +0100, Two Ravens spewed forth:

    > I do know that you seem to be fond of using someone else's sig
    > line without giving them the acknowledgment of being the
    > original author that they are due.

    I have to agree here. This really does bug the **** out of me for some
    reason. I don't what bothers me more - the stolen sig or the fact that
    it's not set up correctly.

    It's lame either way.

  6. Re: New Slackware logo

    For what it's worth (not much..) I also prefer the older form.

    It's clean, it's straightforward; much like the distro itself.

    Steve

  7. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:07:17 -0400, Stephen Bloom
    wrote:

    > For what it's worth (not much..) I also prefer the older form.
    > It's clean, it's straightforward; much like the distro itself

    Same here.

    IMO the new logo looks like runes from the Lord of the Rings.

    With no glossary in the back of the book.

    The old one communicated and had an elegant simplicity.

    The new one doesn't communicate and is fancy, but not elegant.

  8. Re: New Slackware logo

    Dan C wrote:
    > Perhaps we need to start a mass email protest to Pat...?

    Time to fork Slackware!

    Somebody setup the domain slackwareclassic.com and have it forward the
    slackware.com pages, just redirecting all links of the logo.

    No sir, I don't like it! Too much novelty, no substance.

    Blumf

  9. Re: New Slackware logo

    Keith Keller wrote:
    > "Also, we recently commissioned Mark from Senile Felines Designs to
    > create a unique new Slackware Logo (that's it there in the upper right),
    > as we were getting a number of bug reports that the old logo could not
    > be read easily while standing on one's head. ;-)"
    >
    > Clearly the new logo is a bug fix. ;-)

    that may be, but IMHO the new logo cannot be easily read while standing on
    one's head, either. for that matter, it cannot be easily read standing on
    one's feet! since when is slackware in the habit of fixing bugs MS-style?

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  10. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:03:22 -0400, Frank Bell wrote:

    > IMO the new logo looks like runes from the Lord of the Rings.

    yesssssssss precious...and we hates it!

  11. Re: New Slackware logo

    Glyn Millington wrote:

    > Rupa Zangpo writes:
    >
    >> Dan C wrote:
    >>> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...?

    >> The consensus in the "official" Slackware forum is:
    >>
    >> "What the f*** is Slamwars?"

    > That was my reaction - hideous and illegible.

    My eyes hurt.

    It's sort of clever and would not look out of place on a 1970's youthclub
    newsletter. Why not just switch to the 'S' logo from the cd cases?

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  12. Re: New Slackware logo

    Rupa Zangpo wrote:

    > The consensus in the "official" Slackware forum is:
    > "What the f*** is Slamwars?"

    Score one for "brand recognition", I say ... :-/

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  13. Re: New Slackware logo

    Frank Bell wrote:

    > IMO the new logo looks like runes from the Lord of the Rings.

    The, "runes from the Lord of the Rings", are, as far as I can
    recall the standard set of Anglo-Saxon runes, the Futhark. Just
    google Runes, Anglo-Saxon or Furthark. (They may of course be
    another of the Furthark's, but as Tolkein was a Professor of
    English/Literature I think Anglo-Saxon more likely).

    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  14. Re: New Slackware logo

    Beej Jorgensen wrote:
    > I agree, except maybe not "by far".
    >
    > Plusses:

    still the same look in lynx
    .... ALT="Slackware Logo" ...

    but I don't like the look in a gui browser,

    print a logo, size of a magazin, put it on a car, go to the other
    street side, is the logo recognizable?

    fancy design, but useless as logo,
    slackware is known to be technicaly clean and crispy, kiss in perfection

    but a logo from teletubbie land, broken by design

    cu Frank

    --
    "It was when I found out that I could make mistakes
    that I knew I was on to something."

  15. Re: New Slackware logo

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 07:42:15 -0400, mister b wrote:

    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:03:22 -0400, Frank Bell wrote:
    >
    >> IMO the new logo looks like runes from the Lord of the Rings.

    > yesssssssss precious...and we hates it!

    This doesn't advance the dialog, but I must thank you for the best laugh
    I've had in days!

    And, boy! did I need a laugh.

  16. Re: New Slackware logo

    Dan C writes:

    > So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
    > seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
    > mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
    >
    > http://www.slackware.com
    >
    > I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
    > it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
    > I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

    I do not like it either. Too modern ? Too curvy ? Dunno but it
    does not taste good to my eyes.

  17. Re: New Slackware logo

    Dan C wrote:

    > So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
    > seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
    > mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
    >
    > http://www.slackware.com
    >
    > I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
    > it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
    > I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

    It sucks. Just. Plain. Bad. I am glad PV put something on the News page
    about it, though. For a while there, I was afraid he'd hired Al.

    --
    Old Man

    If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. -
    John Kenneth Galbraith

  18. Re: New Slackware logo

    Dan C wrote:

    > Too late, I'm afraid. The change has already happened, and it's even on
    > all the shirts/merchandise at the official store.

    Oh well, I think it is a mistake. I don't care how odd it looks - I just
    think it is bad business to make it so hard to read. But hey, the name
    Slackware isn't exactly good business....

    I prefered the old webpage style from years back (while we are on the
    topic of bitching). It was black with white text.

    - Kurt

  19. Re: New Slackware logo

    On 2008-09-18, Dan C wrote:
    > So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...?

    > Thoughts?

    Change is bad.

    --
    Slackware 11.0, 2.6.20, K8M800 s754Sempron3100+, GF6200
    RLU #272755

  20. Re: New Slackware logo