Problom with Xserver in Slackware 12 - Slackware

This is a discussion on Problom with Xserver in Slackware 12 - Slackware ; Hi I downloaded and installed Slackware 12 DVD. But after installation I cant go to graphical mode with "startx" command. I use "xorgsetup" command and setup it. , but it says that cannot connect to Xserver. Thanks...

  1. Problom with Xserver in Slackware 12

    Hi
    I downloaded and installed Slackware 12 DVD. But after installation I
    cant go to graphical mode with "startx" command.
    I use "xorgsetup" command and setup it. , but it says that cannot
    connect to Xserver.
    Thanks

  2. Re: Problom with Xserver in Slackware 12

    LYX wrote:

    > I downloaded and installed Slackware 12 DVD. But after installation I
    > cant go to graphical mode with "startx" command. I use "xorgsetup"
    > command and setup it. , but it says that cannot connect to Xserver.

    Look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log for pointers to what the problem might be.
    If you need help deciphering what it says, please post the contents of
    that file, and someone will surely try to help.

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  3. Re: Problom with Xserver in Slackware 12

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 03:27:51 -0700, LYX wrote:

    > Hi
    > I downloaded and installed Slackware 12 DVD. But after installation I
    > cant go to graphical mode with "startx" command.
    > I use "xorgsetup" command and setup it. , but it says that cannot
    > connect to Xserver.
    > Thanks

    This is just a WAG, because you haven't provided much detail, but the
    most common problem is in the "Monitor" section of the file,
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The overall timing specs for your monitor is sometimes
    still required. This is especially true for older monitors. Check your
    monitor specs and provide lines as necessary. I have an older monitor
    which requires manual setup. Here is the relevent section for my monitor.

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName "Monitor Model"
    HorizSync 30.0 - 64.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 100.0
    EndSection

    * The HorizSync and VertRefresh entries have been manually added.

    CAUTION: Provide values as appropriate for your specific monitor.
    --
    Douglas Mayne

  4. Re: Problom with Xserver in Slackware 12

    On 16 Ӂ, 19:56, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 03:27:51 -0700, LYX wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > I downloaded and installed Slackware 12 DVD. But after installation I
    > > cant go to graphical mode with "startx" command.
    > > I use "xorgsetup" command and setup it. , but it says that cannot
    > > connect to Xserver.
    > > Thanks

    > This is just a WAG, because you haven't provided much detail, but the
    > most common problem is in the "Monitor" section of the file,
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The overall timing specs for your monitor is sometimes
    > still required. This is especially true for older monitors. Check your
    > monitor specs and provide lines as necessary. I have an older monitor
    > which requires manual setup. Here is the relevent section for my monitor.
    >

    > Section "Monitor"
    > * * Identifier * * "Monitor0"
    > * * VendorName * * "Monitor Vendor"
    > * * ModelName * * *"Monitor Model"
    > * * HorizSync * * * 30.0 - 64.0
    > * * VertRefresh * * 50.0 - 100.0
    > EndSection
    >

    > * The HorizSync and VertRefresh entries have been manually added.
    >
    > CAUTION: Provide values as appropriate for your specific monitor.
    > --
    > Douglas Mayne

    My PC is Latitude D610 (DELL), I don't think that my monitor is so
    old.
    Dear Sylvain Robitaille I can't send that file via this page because I
    run slackware under a vitual machine. So I have a printscreen from
    contents of that file. how can i mail it to you?
    thanks

  5. Re: Problom with Xserver in Slackware 12

    LYX wrote:

    > ... I can't send that file via this page because I run slackware under
    > a vitual machine. So I have a printscreen from contents of that file.
    > how can i mail it to you?

    Please don't. Use the newsgroup. There are people on this newsgroup who
    are much more qualified than I am to help with X, though I'm willing to
    try (on the newsgroup, where someone else might correct anything I say
    that needs correcting; you won't get that in a private exchange).

    Import the text of the log file into a news posting.

    Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

  6. Re: Problom with Xserver in Slackware 12

    LYX wrote:
    > On 16 ????, 19:56, Douglas Mayne wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 03:27:51 -0700, LYX wrote:
    >> > Hi
    >> > I downloaded and installed Slackware 12 DVD. But after installation I
    >> > cant go to graphical mode with "startx" command.
    >> > I use "xorgsetup" command and setup it. , but it says that cannot
    >> > connect to Xserver.
    >> > Thanks

    >> This is just a WAG, because you haven't provided much detail, but the
    >> most common problem is in the "Monitor" section of the file,
    >> /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The overall timing specs for your monitor is sometimes
    >> still required. This is especially true for older monitors. Check your
    >> monitor specs and provide lines as necessary. I have an older monitor
    >> which requires manual setup. Here is the relevent section for my monitor.
    >>

    >> Section "Monitor"
    >> * * Identifier * * "Monitor0"
    >> * * VendorName * * "Monitor Vendor"
    >> * * ModelName * * *"Monitor Model"
    >> * * HorizSync * * * 30.0 - 64.0
    >> * * VertRefresh * * 50.0 - 100.0
    >> EndSection
    >>

    >> * The HorizSync and VertRefresh entries have been manually added.
    >>
    >> CAUTION: Provide values as appropriate for your specific monitor.
    >> --
    >> Douglas Mayne

    > My PC is Latitude D610 (DELL), I don't think that my monitor is so
    > old.
    > Dear Sylvain Robitaille I can't send that file via this page because I
    > run slackware under a vitual machine. So I have a printscreen from
    > contents of that file. how can i mail it to you?
    > thanks

    Try this:

    Section "Monitor"

    Identifier "DELL-LCD"
    HorizSync 30 - 70
    VertRefresh 50 - 160
    Option "DPMS"
    DisplaySize 285 215 # HxV in mm

    EndSection

    It's from a Dell Latitude C600 with a 1400x1050 display.

    Jerry

  7. Re: Problom with Xserver in Slackware 12

    LYX writes:

    > Hi
    > I downloaded and installed Slackware 12 DVD. But after installation I
    > cant go to graphical mode with "startx" command.
    > I use "xorgsetup" command and setup it. , but it says that cannot
    > connect to Xserver.
    > Thanks

    If it is related to a problem with a fixed font problem, try
    reinstalling font-misc-misc.

+ Reply to Thread