tracking down correct slackware 8.0 package.... - Slackware

This is a discussion on tracking down correct slackware 8.0 package.... - Slackware ; Hello I am trying to track down the correct Slackware 8.0 package for OpenSSL 0.9.6d that would contain the file 'engine.h'. I have tried ossllibs.tgz but this fails to provide engine.h. If it helps, for Slackware 8.1 the package was ...

  1. tracking down correct slackware 8.0 package....

    Hello

    I am trying to track down the correct Slackware 8.0 package for OpenSSL
    0.9.6d that would contain the file 'engine.h'.

    I have tried ossllibs.tgz but this fails to provide engine.h.

    If it helps, for Slackware 8.1 the package was called
    openssl-solibs-0.9.6d-i386-1.tgz but there does not appear to be an
    equivalent for Slackware 8.0. This v8.1 package fails to install using
    installpkg in v8.0.

    Any idea where I could even download this package once identified?

    Many thanks

    Lee

  2. Re: tracking down correct slackware 8.0 package....

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 02:12:58 +0100, Lee Stone wrote:

    > I am trying to track down the correct Slackware 8.0 package for OpenSSL
    > 0.9.6d that would contain the file 'engine.h'.
    >
    > I have tried ossllibs.tgz but this fails to provide engine.h.
    >
    > If it helps, for Slackware 8.1 the package was called
    > openssl-solibs-0.9.6d-i386-1.tgz but there does not appear to be an
    > equivalent for Slackware 8.0. This v8.1 package fails to install using
    > installpkg in v8.0.
    >
    > Any idea where I could even download this package once identified?

    Here:
    http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/sla...ches/packages/

    Or perhaps here:
    http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/sla...0/slakware/n1/

    And you really ought to do something about that...

  3. Re: tracking down correct slackware 8.0 package....

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.09.14.02.17.10.446279@moria.lan...
    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 02:12:58 +0100, Lee Stone wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to track down the correct Slackware 8.0 package for OpenSSL
    >> 0.9.6d that would contain the file 'engine.h'.
    >>
    >> I have tried ossllibs.tgz but this fails to provide engine.h.
    >>
    >> If it helps, for Slackware 8.1 the package was called
    >> openssl-solibs-0.9.6d-i386-1.tgz but there does not appear to be an
    >> equivalent for Slackware 8.0. This v8.1 package fails to install using
    >> installpkg in v8.0.
    >>
    >> Any idea where I could even download this package once identified?

    > Here:
    > http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/sla...ches/packages/
    >
    > Or perhaps here:
    > http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/sla...0/slakware/n1/

    thanks

    > And you really ought to do something about that...

    borrowed machine ! :-)

  4. Re: tracking down correct slackware 8.0 package....

    Lee Stone wrote:
    > If it helps, for Slackware 8.1 the package was called
    > openssl-solibs-0.9.6d-i386-1.tgz but there does not appear to be an
    > equivalent for Slackware 8.0. This v8.1 package fails to install using
    > installpkg in v8.0.
    >
    > Any idea where I could even download this package once identified?

    I don't think it existed at all.
    The latest patch for OpenSSL in 8.0 was the 0.9.6e version, but
    neither IT nor the "run-time solibs only" package of "osslibs"
    contains "engine.h" (I didn't expect it in the latter anyway).
    The originally distributed version for 8.0 was 0.9.6a (that is
    the one in the "n1" dir someone gave to you) and it didn't contain
    that .h file either.

    Just to make sure I also looked into the 8.1 package for 0.9.6d
    (I got a complete mirror of all Slackware versions back to 8.0 on
    my system) and it didn't contain any "engine.h" file.

    The latest patch for 8.1 was 0.9.6m and it doesn't contain
    that include file either.

    Finally the source package for 0.9.6d (from 8.1, but it would be
    reasonably easy to backport it to 8.0) doesn't contain any
    "engine.h" file either. I am now assuming it didn't come in till
    0.9.7 at the earliest (and we're currently already at 0.9.8).

    The package YOU mentioned (openssl-solibs) only contains that
    (.so libraries, no .h files at all) as it is only the runtime,
    not the development package. I looked into the
    openssl-0.9.6d-i386-1.tgz
    package for 8.1, which is the distributed "binary development"
    package FOR that Slackware release, and in
    openssl-0.9.6d.tar.gz
    which is the source that package has been build FROM.
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  5. Re: tracking down correct slackware 8.0 package....

    Eef Hartman wrote:
    > I am now assuming it didn't come in till 0.9.7 at the earliest

    Just checked the Slackware 9.0 distribution package:
    openssl-0.9.7a-i386-2.tgz
    and IT does contain a
    usr/include/openssl/engine.h
    header file. So you either have to upgrade to (at least) 9.0,
    or backport the source for OpenSLL 0.9.7a (or later) to Slw 8.0

    The source for this package can be found in
    http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/sla...rce/n/openssl/
    (there is a source package and 2 "diff" files there, you must
    read the "openssl.SlackBuild" to see how it was build in 9.0).
    ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **

  6. Re: tracking down correct slackware 8.0 package....

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 02:12:58 +0100, Lee Stone wrote:

    > I am trying to track down the correct Slackware 8.0 package for OpenSSL
    > 0.9.6d that would contain the file 'engine.h'.

    You've had really good answers, especially from Eef.

    For the sake of curiosity, would you be able to tell why you are still
    stuck with running 8.0 ?

  7. Re: tracking down correct slackware 8.0 package....

    "Eef Hartman" wrote in message
    news:682c7$48ce230b$82a1d217$6247@news1.tudelft.nl ...
    > Lee Stone wrote:
    >> If it helps, for Slackware 8.1 the package was called
    >> openssl-solibs-0.9.6d-i386-1.tgz but there does not appear to be an
    >> equivalent for Slackware 8.0. This v8.1 package fails to install using
    >> installpkg in v8.0.
    >>
    >> Any idea where I could even download this package once identified?

    > I don't think it existed at all.
    > The latest patch for OpenSSL in 8.0 was the 0.9.6e version, but
    > neither IT nor the "run-time solibs only" package of "osslibs"
    > contains "engine.h" (I didn't expect it in the latter anyway).
    > The originally distributed version for 8.0 was 0.9.6a (that is
    > the one in the "n1" dir someone gave to you) and it didn't contain
    > that .h file either.
    >
    > Just to make sure I also looked into the 8.1 package for 0.9.6d
    > (I got a complete mirror of all Slackware versions back to 8.0 on
    > my system) and it didn't contain any "engine.h" file.
    >
    > The latest patch for 8.1 was 0.9.6m and it doesn't contain
    > that include file either.
    >
    > Finally the source package for 0.9.6d (from 8.1, but it would be
    > reasonably easy to backport it to 8.0) doesn't contain any
    > "engine.h" file either. I am now assuming it didn't come in till
    > 0.9.7 at the earliest (and we're currently already at 0.9.8).
    >
    > The package YOU mentioned (openssl-solibs) only contains that
    > (.so libraries, no .h files at all) as it is only the runtime,
    > not the development package. I looked into the
    > openssl-0.9.6d-i386-1.tgz
    > package for 8.1, which is the distributed "binary development"
    > package FOR that Slackware release, and in
    > openssl-0.9.6d.tar.gz
    > which is the source that package has been build FROM.
    > --
    > ************************************************** *****************
    > ** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
    > ** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman@tudelft.nl, fax: +31-15-278 7295 **
    > ** snail-mail: P.O. Box 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands **
    > ************************************************** *****************

    Eef.

    Many, many thanks for your research. I thought I was going mad! I really
    appreciate the effort.

    I basically searched for file 'engine.h' using the package search tool at
    http://packages.slackware.it/. Ironically, this service is unavailable as I
    write this post.

    I now have an issue of how to build an SSL-based perl module (Net::SSLeay)
    that depends upon openssl/engine.h! I had a working version but a recent
    perl upgrade broke it. (webmin/usermin can now only be used insecurely).

    Any ideas?

    Thanks again

    Lee

  8. Re: tracking down correct slackware 8.0 package....

    "Eef Hartman" wrote in message
    news:c6e35$48ce2fe6$82a1d217$6518@news1.tudelft.nl ...
    > Eef Hartman wrote:
    >> I am now assuming it didn't come in till 0.9.7 at the earliest

    > Just checked the Slackware 9.0 distribution package:
    > openssl-0.9.7a-i386-2.tgz
    > and IT does contain a
    > usr/include/openssl/engine.h
    > header file. So you either have to upgrade to (at least) 9.0,
    > or backport the source for OpenSLL 0.9.7a (or later) to Slw 8.0
    >
    > The source for this package can be found in
    > http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/sla...rce/n/openssl/
    > (there is a source package and 2 "diff" files there, you must
    > read the "openssl.SlackBuild" to see how it was build in 9.0).
    > --

    Hello Eef.

    Many, many thanks for your research. I thought I was going mad!

    I basically searched for file 'engine.h' using the package search tool at
    http://packages.slackware.it/. Ironically, this service is unavailable as I
    write this post.

    I now have an issue of how to build an SSL-based perl module (Net::SSLeay)
    that depends upon openssl/engine.h! I had a working version but a recent
    perl upgrade broke it. (webmin/usermin can now only be used insecurely).

    Not being a coder, it is really beyond me how to progress this. I really
    appreciate the effort you have gone to for the last two posts. I think I
    need to re-read your last post and work out how to go from here....

    Thanks again

    Lee

  9. Re: tracking down correct slackware 8.0 package....

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:56:26 +0100, Lee Stone wrote:

    (Much snippage)

    > To be honest, I have no idea how to cleanly upgrade Slackware from a
    > remote location. I particularly need to keep my configuration and so on
    > - there are loads of sendmail aliases and so on plus a couple of
    > websites.

    Yikes! I think the cybergods are telling you that it's spring-cleaning
    time.

    > I was thinking of trying to recreate the server as a virtual machine and
    > practise upgrading on that a couple of times....

    It is probably the case that you would find it easier to set up the same
    services from scratch more quickly on a newer system, and besides, there
    are things that you would do differently now.

    > So, there you are. You asked!

    And I'm really sorry I did :-)

    No seriously, it's an amazing story. I wish there was a simple way to
    ease your situation.

    > Thanks for your interest.

    Thanks for taking the time to explain.

  10. Re: tracking down correct slackware 8.0 package....

    Eef Hartman wrote:
    > Lee Stone wrote:
    >> If it helps, for Slackware 8.1 the package was called
    >> openssl-solibs-0.9.6d-i386-1.tgz but there does not appear to be an
    >> equivalent for Slackware 8.0. This v8.1 package fails to install using
    >> installpkg in v8.0.
    >>
    >> Any idea where I could even download this package once identified?

    > I don't think it existed at all.
    > The latest patch for OpenSSL in 8.0 was the 0.9.6e version, but
    > neither IT nor the "run-time solibs only" package of "osslibs"
    > contains "engine.h" (I didn't expect it in the latter anyway).
    > The originally distributed version for 8.0 was 0.9.6a (that is
    > the one in the "n1" dir someone gave to you) and it didn't contain
    > that .h file either.

    Hmm, ... just guessing.

    Have a look at the README.ENGINE file in any of the openssl-0.9.6*
    pacakages:

    [...]
    With OpenSSL 0.9.6, a new component has been added to support external
    crypto devices, for example accelerator cards. The component is called
    ENGINE, and has still a pretty experimental status and almost no
    documentation. It's designed to be fairly easily extensible by the
    calling programs.
    [...]
    Because of this experimental status and what's lacking, the ENGINE
    component is not yet part of the default OpenSSL distribution. However,
    we have made a separate kit for those who want to try this out, to be
    found in the same places as the default OpenSSL distribution, but with
    "-engine-" being part of the kit file name. For example, version 0.9.6
    is distributed in the following two files:
    [...]
    openssl-engine-0.9.6.tar.gz does not depend on openssl-0.9.6.tar, you
    do not need to download both.

    openssl-engine-0.9.6.tar.gz is usable even if you don't have an
    external crypto device. The internal OpenSSL functions are contained in
    the engine "openssl", and will be used by default.
    [...]

    There is no openssl-engine package in Slackware 8 as far as I know. But
    you might be able to compile and install openssl-engine-0.9.6 from
    source. The latest version is openssl-engine-0.9.6m from Mar 17, 2004.
    The source is still available on http://www.openssl.org/source/
    The source tarball does contain a file named engine.h. In addition to
    that file you'll need the executables/libs/whatever contained in the
    package I guess. So just try to compile and install the stuff.

    Regards,

    Kees.

    --
    Kees Theunissen.

  11. Re: tracking down correct slackware 8.0 package....

    "Mark Madsen" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:56:26 +0100, Lee Stone wrote:
    >
    >> So, there you are. You asked!

    > And I'm really sorry I did :-)

    where do I send my counselling cheque?

    :-)

  12. Re: tracking down correct slackware 8.0 package....

    Kees Theunissen wrote:
    > There is no openssl-engine package in Slackware 8 as far as I know. But
    > you might be able to compile and install openssl-engine-0.9.6 from
    > source. The latest version is openssl-engine-0.9.6m from Mar 17, 2004.
    > The source is still available on http://www.openssl.org/source/

    While that is true, I wonder if that is really more simple than to
    backport a newer version of openssl, WITH a more developed version
    of the engine, back to Slackware 8.0.
    The engine in 0.9.6 _is_ still experimental, it may well work in
    the OP's case, but it may also crash his server, of whatever.
    On a system that far removed (physically) I would go for stable,
    tried-out software (like 0.9.7 or even 0.9.8), especially as these
    have had many more security holes fixed.

    But YMMV, of course.....