Accented characters in KDE applications, how? - Slackware

This is a discussion on Accented characters in KDE applications, how? - Slackware ; Hallo All, I suspect that this is not strictly a SlackWare question, but mazybe somebody knows the answer anyway. I strongly feel the need to use accented characters, like , , ... in some of the text input fields of ...

  1. Accented characters in KDE applications, how?

    Hallo All,

    I suspect that this is not strictly a SlackWare question, but
    mazybe somebody knows the answer anyway.
    I strongly feel the need to use accented characters, like
    , , ... in some of the text input fields of KDE applications.
    But I have not found a way to do it.
    How do I set up X or KDE to be able to receive such characters
    and how do I input them?
    Thanks for any help.

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

  2. Re: Accented characters in KDE applications, how?

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:46:52 +0200, Johannes Beekhuizen wrote:

    > I suspect that this is not strictly a SlackWare question, but mazybe
    > somebody knows the answer anyway. I strongly feel the need to use
    > accented characters, like â, ö, é... in some of the text input fields of
    > KDE applications. But I have not found a way to do it. How do I set up X
    > or KDE to be able to receive such characters and how do I input them?

    You will find KCharSelect Character-Selector if you click on Utilities in
    the menu > More Applications > KCharSelect Character-Selector, you can
    then if you need to use it regularly place its icon on your KDE ToolBar.

    I hope that helps.
    --
    Two Ravens
    "...hit the squirrel..."

  3. Re: Accented characters in KDE applications, how?

    Hallo Two Ravens,

    Op zaterdag 13 september 2008 schreef Two Ravens aan All:

    >> I strongly feel the need to use accented characters
    >> how do I input them?

    TR> You will find KCharSelect Character-Selector if you click on
    TR> Utilities in the menu > More Applications > KCharSelect
    TR> Character-Selector, you can then if you need to use it regularly
    TR> place its icon on your KDE ToolBar.
    TR> I hope that helps.

    I was really hoping for a more direct way, like typing 246.
    But this is already a great help, thank you very much!

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

  4. Re: Accented characters in KDE applications, how?

    Johannes Beekhuizen wrote :

    > How do I set up X or KDE to be able to receive such characters
    > and how do I input them?

    Which keyboard layout are you using, US or Dutch?
    --
    Thomas O.

  5. Re: Accented characters in KDE applications, how?

    "Johannes Beekhuizen" wrote:
    > I suspect that this is not strictly a SlackWare question, but
    > mazybe somebody knows the answer anyway.

    It is probably more X related.

    > I strongly feel the need to use accented characters, like
    > , , ... in some of the text input fields of KDE applications.
    > But I have not found a way to do it.

    With xmodmap it is possible to put any characters anywhere on your
    keyboard.

    First dump your current map:

    xmodmap -pke > /tmp/current.map

    Then edit that file and do any changes you wish.

    Finally load your new map:

    xmodmap /tmp/current.map

    If you really like your new map you can copy it to a more useful place
    like $HOME/.Xmodmap to get it loaded every time X is started.

    So how is the file supposed to be edited? The hard thing to know is the
    names of the characters, for my swedish keyboard it looks like this for
    , and :

    keycode 34 = aring Aring dead_diaeresis dead_abovering dead_diaeresis dead_abovering
    keycode 47 = odiaeresis Odiaeresis oslash Ooblique oslash Ooblique
    keycode 48 = adiaeresis Adiaeresis ae AE ae AE

    It is also possible to assign a "compose key" called Multi_key which I
    have done to my scroll-lock key:

    keycode 78 = Multi_key

    I can then use scroll-lock as my compose key to get composed characters,
    example "scroll-lock ~ n" gives "".

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  6. Re: Accented characters in KDE applications, how?

    Hallo Thomas,

    Op zondag 14 september 2008 schreef Thomas Overgaard aan All:

    >> How do I set up X or KDE to be able to receive such characters
    >> and how do I input them?

    TO> Which keyboard layout are you using, US or Dutch?

    US

    Groeten,

    Hans.

    jdh punt beekhuizen bij duinheks punt nl

  7. Re: Accented characters in KDE applications, how?

    Johannes Beekhuizen wrote :

    > US

    Then you should switch to US-International. Start "Control Center" and
    go to "Regional & Accessibility"|"Keyboard Layout". If no layout has
    been selected then scroll down the list and choose US-English. Under the
    list of "Active Layouts" there's a "Layout variant" setting and here you
    should choose "Intl" in the drop-down menu.

    Now you can do this:
    Press +<6> simultaneous and then and you get .
    Press +<'> simultaneous and then
    and you get .
    Press +<'> simultaneous and then
    and you get .